Check Out CURSE OF STRAHD'S Table of Contents!
  • Check Out CURSE OF STRAHD'S Table of Contents!

Here's a look at the table of contents from Curse of Strahd (which hits preferred stores in two days, and everywhere else 11 days later on March 15th). It shows the entire adventure, along with quite the pile of maps, handouts, and more. Barovia gets 10 pages, and the Village of Barovia a further 7; Castle Ravenloft itself gets 30 pages. Also visible are things we've seen previews or sketches of, such as Old Bonegrinder.

SaveSave
    Comments 64 Comments
      The Grassy Gnoll -
      THAT'S where the Mongrelfolk appear! That was a long time coming!
      MechaPilot -
      I love that the coffin maker's shop has its own map (pg 116).

On a side note, I'm not sure how well they can get across helpful advice for running a horror adventure in the four pages before the adventure starts.
      jgsugden -
      Quote Originally Posted by MechaPilot View Post

On a side note, I'm not sure how well they can get across helpful advice for running a horror adventure in the four pages before the adventure starts.
      The basic ideas can be conveyed in 4 pages.

However, you could give a 10 day master class on DMing a horror campaign and still have a lot to say. It is incredibly hard to craft the feeling of sincere dread and fear needed without railroading the PCs. I've played in a lot of games where the PCs felt helpless and fearful - but they were railroaded constantly in the story and were passengers more than players. I've played in others (set in Ravenloft) where the PCs felt free to adventure - but there was almost no atmosphere to the games that supported the setting's gloom and doom beyond a superficial level. There have only been a very small number of attempts I've seen to run a horror game where both the atmosphere and freedom were right. Most of them added dynamics to the game where there were physical random acts that could spell doom - like Dread's use of a Jenga tower (Google it if you're not familiar).
      tsuyoshikentsu -
      ...So basically, they already released the literally only piece of character-building content in the entire book?

Well that sucks.
      MechaPilot -
      Quote Originally Posted by tsuyoshikentsu View Post
      ...So basically, they already released the literally only piece of character-building content in the entire book?

Well that sucks.
      Well, it is an adventure product and not a product like the SCAG. While I might have liked more, perhaps a Vistani background, I don't expect much character building material in adventure products.
      tsuyoshikentsu -
      This is the first release in months and Elemental had a ton of new stuff. I'm very disappointed.
      MechaPilot -
      This is the first release in months and Elemental had a ton of new stuff. I'm very disappointed.
      Sure, EE had bonus player stuff. When did that bonus stuff come out? Was it before the actual adventure? At the same time? Or after?
      ccs -
      Sure, EE had bonus player stuff. When did that bonus stuff come out? Was it before the actual adventure? At the same time? Or after?
      It was in the actual adventure.
      (it wasn't quite enough to get me to buy the book)

Then it was released on Drive Thru shortly after as a PDF. Then it was offered through there as a print on Demand booklet (that I bought).
      tsuyoshikentsu -
      It shipped with Genasi and the spells, so... literally in the book? With a few races later?
      MechaPilot -
      Oh, okay. I just grabbed the free download from the WotC site, so I wasn't sure when the material was actually made available.
      flametitan -
      Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
      It was in the actual adventure.
      (it wasn't quite enough to get me to buy the book)

Then it was released on Drive Thru shortly after as a PDF. Then it was offered through there as a print on Demand booklet (that I bought).
      Not quite. The EEPC came out about a week into March, whereas PoTA was released on the 27th if you had a WPN store.
      Quickleaf -
      Quote Originally Posted by JTorres View Post
      From the D&D Twitter account

http://static.ow.ly/docs/01_CoS_Tabl...tents_4s09.pdf

It looks like they weren't exaggerating about the book having a lot of maps.
      That is a fantastic table of contents!
      speculart -
      Quote Originally Posted by Quickleaf View Post
      Agreement. Super pumped to scare the socks of my players. Looks very sandboxy which is good.
      Charles Rampant -
      I'm pretty tempted by this book. I mean, I literally just ran Ravenloft I6 for my players, so I don't know how much buyin I would have for this at my table, even disregarding my current campaign, but it looks like a lot of fun, and probably great for stealing undead-horror scenes from.
      Sadras -
      Quote Originally Posted by Quickleaf View Post
      Totally in agreement. I'm excited.
      Xethreau -
      Ooo, a wereraven! 8D
      chibi graz'zt -

Imagine the challenge running this for AL is going to be. Usually I run AL games at my FLGS, and believe me, its loud, noisy, a bit rowdy. Getting a horror mood going is important for this AP, Im considering to run this one strictly as a home game. I have many years of running Vampire the Requiem, currently running a 4 year campaign set in Imperial Rome; so getting the horror mood is critical.

AL is going to have a challenge with this one.
      JPL -
      Still hoping that this month's Unearthed Arcana will have some new player character options. If not, someone really needs to knock out an appropriate supplement for the Dungeon Master's Guild.
      MrHotter -
      What jumped out at me was the handouts. I've always loved physical items with adventures. I bought every 4E Essentials product for the stuff in the box, but I had nothing but the core books before that.

I'm also interested in seeing what the changes are for magic in Barovia.
      MrHotter -
      I'm not sure how much character creation extras they could add to a Ravenloft adventure.

I would not want to see playable revenants or vampires, and are there spells that we don't already have that would fit in a Ravenloft adventure? Maybe they could add a 'monster hunter' subclass for fighter or rogue, but I also don't think that there is nothing that we could not build ourselves from existing material.

We may still get a Curse of Strahd players companion, but I'm thinking that they released the introductory adventure instead of that.
    Comments Leave Comment