Sean's Picks of the Week (0307-0311) - Savage Worlds, Cypher, D&D, Quill, Demon Lord, and More!

As the extended GM's Day Sale rolls on (until March 16th, friends), there's a ton of great titles out there, and pretty much all of them are marked down 30%. If the Million Dollar Kickstarter that is 7th Sea tells us anything, it's that gaming is nowhere near dead. In fact, it's more alive and well than it's ever been. Seriously, everywhere I go, if I am wearing the right shirt or carrying the right book, someone knows what it is and wants to talk about it. We are everywhere, and we are legion, and this hobby is the greatest it's ever been.

As the extended GM's Day Sale rolls on (until March 16th, friends), there's a ton of great titles out there, and pretty much all of them are marked down 30%. If the Million Dollar Kickstarter that is 7th Sea tells us anything, it's that gaming is nowhere near dead. In fact, it's more alive and well than it's ever been. Seriously, everywhere I go, if I am wearing the right shirt or carrying the right book, someone knows what it is and wants to talk about it. We are everywhere, and we are legion, and this hobby is the greatest it's ever been.

Accursed: Science and Sea

The world my friend and business partner, Ross Watson, gets some more support and world-building information out in this latest book by John Dunn and Jason Marker. Accursed remains one of the most popular third-party Savage Worlds settings out there.

Manreia did not suffer any battles within its borders during the Bane War, but the nation still suffered grievous losses. She sent many soldiers and vast stories of supplies to aid the Army of Light in its battles. Since the war ended and Manreia surrendered, she has had to struggle under the Witches’ tyranny, living in a turmoil that even Manreian ingenuity cannot overcome.

Refugees who left Manreian camps often boarded ships that carried them to the islands of the Discordian Sea. Most met with disaster, but a few have managed to survive on one of the many islands. Their lives are little easier than the ones they left behind, but at least they are less likely to directly encounter banes.

Science and Sea provides additional information about the nation of Manreia and life on the Discordian Sea within Accursed’s setting of Morden. It includes a broad range of different adventure hooks for GMs and players looking to explore these specific regions. It also introduces new banes as well as Hindrances and Edges specific to these cultures.

Accursed provides additional details about the setting used in this scenario, and is required to fully make use of the game mechanics presented. Savage Worlds and the Savage Worlds Horror Companion are also required.

Fifth Edition Feats

Did you love Feats? Do you feel that’s the one thing you’d like to pull in from 3/3.5 – hundreds more feats?

Total Party Kill Games is your huckleberry.

This sourcebook is packed with over 150 feats to add to your 5th Edition games for the “World’s Most Popular Roleplaying Game.” With only a small handful of feats in the core game, this product greatly enhances the amount of core feats available, allowing you a greater depth for your characters and perhaps even adversaries… The emphasis is on fun though, and these feats will ensure you have a lot more to choose from.

This product is hyperlinked to the excellent 5eSRD web resource and thoroughly bookmarked.

Contained within:

• Tons of missing core feats
  • Feats to address missing class features
  • New healing feats to allow other classes minor healing abilities
  • Slayer feats which improve your prowess against certain foes
  • Divine Channeling Feats
  • Metamagic Feats
  • A New Condition
  • and much more!

Quill: Coal & Parchment

In what may be one of the most offbeat and charming RPG crossovers I’ve ever seen, the single player letter-writing RPG of Quill has a supplement based on the dwarven-themed, GM-less narrative RPG The Dig.

Coal & Parchment is a setting supplement for Quill, the letter-writing roleplaying game! Take your letter writing campaign underground with the dwarves of the Homes, the very same setting as The Dig. This book features six new characters to play as, three new skills to try, and five new scenarios for you to enjoy, plus original cover art by Jacob Hunt.

Cypher System GM’s Day Sale

It’s the biggest GM’s Day Sale event ever – hundreds of publishers, many thousands of products, all 30% off. One of those publishers, Monte Cook Games, is really going all out.

In celebration of GM’s Day (and just in time for the incredible Worlds of the Cypher System Kickstarter campaign), you can get the Cypher System Rulebook—and dozens of other Monte Cook Games titles—at a great discount!

What will your Cypher System campaign be?

A Cypher System campaign of Victorian horror? High fantasy? Espionage? Galaxy-spanning space opera? With the Cypher System Rulebook, running any of those is as easy as running or playing The Strange or Numenera . Take the Cypher System to the limits of your imagination with this hefty rulebook that extends the system to fantasy, science-fiction, horror, modern-day, and superhero settings—or any setting you can imagine!

The Cypher System Rulebook adapts the Cypher System—the critically acclaimed, award-winning rules set that drives Numenera and The Strange—to an unlimited range of campaigns and genres, giving you the complete rules set (along with dozens of optional and genre-specific rules) and hundreds of character options, creatures, cyphers, and other resources. It’s everything you need to play virtually any game using the Cypher System rules.

If you’re already a fan of Numenera and/or The Strange, you’ll find new descriptors, foci, types, creatures, cyphers, and artifacts you can use in your campaign the minute you crack open the book. Many of the optional genre rules will benefit your campaign as well. There are pages and pages of content you can make use of in your existing game, even if you never take the Cypher System into another genre!

The Cypher System Rulebook gives you 416 pages of character options, equipment, game rules, special coverage of key genres, creatures, NPCs, and cyphers.

• Complete game rules
  • Genre-specific rules and advice for fantasy games, modern games, science-fiction games, horror, and superheroes
  • Systems for issues such as vehicle combat, crafting, and insight, among others
  • Four new character types, each customizable to the needs of your setting
  • Over 50 descriptors and 70 foci
  • Loads of equipment and hundreds of cyphers and artifacts
  • Nearly 70 creatures and NPCs
  • Great GM advice on adapting the Cypher System to a variety of settings, and on running a fun, engaging, fast-paced, easy-to-GM game sessions

Start a new campaign set in a fantasy land of elves and fae creatures, a science fiction setting spanning the galaxy, or a modern slasher horror game—or add scads of new options to your Numenera or The Strange campaign. The Cypher System Rulebook gives you everything you need to run the game you want to play using the critically acclaimed, award-winning, and just plain fun to play Cypher System!

Tales of the Desolation

Winter Fantasy is one of those hardcore, been-around-forever gaming conventions that helped define our hobby in the earliest days. It’s still a place where both amateur and professional writers and designers like to show their most insidious and challenging adventure creations. Four tales for the Shadow of the Demon Lord game debuted there and now they’re collected to terrorize your home campaign.

The Shadow of the Wastes

Although the village of Esker stands on the edge of a vast and blighted landscape, the people living there have relied on the crusaders to keep them safe from the horrors spawned in the wastes, confident in their arms and will to drive back the dead that sometimes emerge from the roiling dust clouds. Yet even as the people watch the north with fearful eyes, none imagined that doom would come from within their community.

Tales of the Desolation collects the four adventures revealed at Winter Fantasy 2016 and presents them as a mini-campaign for expert characters. Faced with horrific undead, disease, rampaging bands of beastmen, and the deadly environment of the Desolation, groups will find themselves tested at every turn to survive.

To use this product, you’ll need the Shadow of the Demon Lord core rules and the Tombs of the Desolation supplement.

~~~~~
There's another week of Picks for you, friends. As usual, feel free to also check out my Kickstarter Picks, as well as my Happiness, Peace, and Dreams Picks, which I am also doing every Monday-Friday.

Tonight, more work on the Savage Rifts project, because we have a lot planned for when that gate busts open. Of course, there will also be some fun, casual time with my Belovedest, Carinn, as we continue through Season 4 of Stargate: SG-1 (yes, that's right, I never watched it the first time around). Not all the episodes are gems, but what a great concept, and I really enjoy those characters!

Tomorrow, it's a day spent as a delegate to the Adams County Democratic Convention and Assembly. Yes, I got myself drafted into the process, and I am looking forward to seeing how that particular sausage is made. Carinn is an alternate, and I suspect she'll be drafted into it all, too. Not inviting any kind of political discourse, friends, but for those interested in the process, I'll be happy to share my experiences.

Sunday, we return to the setting of Birthright as Ross Watson continues to weave us into the grander schemes of the world.

As always, I hope you all have something planned for your weekend.

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Remove ads

Remove ads