D&D comes to Middle Earth (from Cubicle 7)
  • D&D comes to Middle Earth (from Cubicle 7)

Here some news that I didn't foresee. Cubicle 7, the company of The One Ring, the best adaptation of Tolkien's Middle Earth plans to bring D&D to Middle Earth. Bearing in mind the high quality books that they produced for the The One Ring roleplaying game (they're at the top of the review section), it'll be very interesting to see. There's not much information yet, other than a short announcement.

Here is Cubicle's 7 news. The image above is of the existing The One Ring RPG from Cubicle 7.

"Cubicle 7 Entertainment and Sophisticated Games have announced plans to make a Dungeons & Dragons® compatible roleplaying series for J R R Tolkien’s legendary fantasy world of Middle-earth, the setting for The Lord of the Rings® and The Hobbit®.

Cubicle 7’s CEO Dominic McDowall said, “We’re all very excited to be building on the success of The One Ring Roleplaying Game and bringing Middle-earth to D&D® players. Uniting two things very close to the hearts of gamers, me included, is very cool – I can't wait for the summer."

The best selling The One Ring Roleplaying Game will continue as a separate and independent line, with some very exciting announcements coming this week. The new series will be based upon Francesco Nepitello’s highly praised work in The One Ring®, with Francesco acting as creative consultant.

Further details will be released in the coming months, with the release set for Summer 2016."

A release in Summer 2016 really isn't far away at all. Lord of the Rings and D&D really is an exciting combination (was Gandalf really just a 5th level magic-user?)

Sophisticated Games is a British board game company which develops book-based JRR Tolkien games under license from Middle-earth Enterprises, and has published many titles in this area: Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, the award winning War of the Ring series and, of course, in conjunction with Cubicle 7, The One Ring RPG. Cubicle 7, on the other hand, is reposible for not just The One Ring, but also other licensed RPGs like Doctor Who.
    Comments 196 Comments
      scruffygrognard -
      This is all kinds of awesome!!!!!
    1. Reynard -
      It is probably a pretty safe bet that the number of sales lost to release schedule slow down will be completely insignificant compared to sales gained by producing a 5E compatible game.
      Von Ether -
      I smell another $1M kickstarter.
      darjr -
      I am a HUGE fan of the one ring and if they do this right I'll be a huge fan of this too.
      lyle.spade -
      Wow - that's great news! Their books are beautiful, and while I've heard good things about the system, I'm not interested in switching from 5e for fantasy. I've thought about picking up some of those books just for reading purposes...but this makes a ton of sense, and I imagine will make for some big sales numbers. Very good, indeed.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Von Ether View Post
      I smell another $1M kickstarter.
      if anything could do it, this could! Then again, they say it's coming out this summer, so it sounds like it's well underway already.
      Rhineglade -
      I think the idea behind this is cool but something about Middle Earth just never translated well to RPG in my opinion. This was the problem with the MERP and Rolemaster versions. For one thing, the story line is so well established it is not easy to bend the canon. Furthermore, the use of magic was always poorly defined. Even Gandalf the Wizard used magic very sparingly and never showy. To me, the magic is the whole point of a fantasy game world and to limit it seems to be missing out on a large element. Of course there are folks that enjoy very low magic worlds. I just happen to NOT be one of them. Finally, what would be the monster population? Previous game versions of LotR limited themselves to only what was found in the books. This basically meant orcs. Period. Of course there were also the occasional dragon, troll, spider, giant eagle, worg, ent, etc. but by and large these were few and far between. Coming across orcs over and over again gets redundant after a while.
      Curmudjinn -
      Cubicle 7 products are like magic in a bottle. So much effort, love and refinement go into each release. Dominic McDowall is all class with a good head on his shoulders.

This great news!
      Desrimal -
      Good news indeed. I like both d&d 5e and The One Ring. If anyone can pull off a succesfull Middle Earth/D&d game, I can't imagine anyone better suited for the task than Cubicle 7. I don't believe a low magic setting with relative few monsters is a problem for a fantasy rpg campaign, though I agree with Rhineglade that Middle Earth canon is certainly an issue.
      Zhern -
      So excited for this! WotC opening up 5E via OGL was a fantastic move because it enables things like this. Can't wait to see what other awesome stuff hits the gaming world because of that.
      IgnatiusJ.Reilly -
      Shoehorning the D&D magic system into Middle Earth would be quite a task, if that's what they intend to do.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      Agreed. The Lord of the Rings is a tough act to follow. But really, these problems are present to a degree or another in any licensed property. But I’m pretty excited to see how this turns out. I feel like we’re coming full-circle to the days when D&D had Ents, Hobbits, and Balrogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhineglade View Post
      I think the idea behind this is cool but something about Middle Earth just never translated well to RPG in my opinion. This was the problem with the MERP and Rolemaster versions.
      SteveC -
      This is absolutely fascinating to me for two reasons:

First, The One Ring has an excellent Exploration system (which the one presented in the 5E playtest drew inspiration from) so that pillar of the game is likely to get some excellent attention. This makes me happy.

Second, there aren't any spellcasters in The One Ring, yet the game is a lot of fun and has characters who are still varied from one another. This gives me hope for an expansion of what non-magical characters can accomplish. This also makes me happy.

Third (a bonus!) if the designers carry over what they did with Elves to D&D this will make me exceptionally happy, since the game does a ... magical job of representing them.

Excited by the possibilities.
    1. BMaC -
      I wonder what timeline they'll use.
      lyle.spade -
      Quote Originally Posted by BMaC View Post
      Great question. My guess? Multiple books.
    1. Reynard -
      Quote Originally Posted by IgnatiusJ.Reilly View Post
      Shoehorning the D&D magic system into Middle Earth would be quite a task, if that's what they intend to do.
      I'll be curious to see if they essentially rewrite the game to fit ME, using only the core of D&D 5E for mechanics, or if they try and accommodate the many D&Disms that don't really fit. I think the best we can hope for is the former but with strongly maintained compatibility so that people who want to add dragonborn warlocks to ME can do so seamlessly (though not likely without consequences!).
    1. Gadget -
      I'm hopeful they can keep their current RPG system as the one that adheres closely to cannon, and have this new D&D version be more of a Lord of the Rings-ish take on D&D. As a huge fan of both properties, this is the only way I can see it working well; all while introducing some new concepts to traditional D&D play to enrich our gaming experience.
    1. TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
      I'll be curious to see if they essentially rewrite the game to fit ME, using only the core of D&D 5E for mechanics, or if they try and accommodate the many D&Disms that don't really fit. I think the best we can hope for is the former but with strongly maintained compatibility so that people who want to add dragonborn warlocks to ME can do so seamlessly (though not likely without consequences!).
      "You will have my sword..."
      "you will have my bow..."
      "and my eldritch blast."
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Quote Originally Posted by BMaC View Post
      If they re-use the background material they have already written, it will be set in the 70+ years between The Hobbit and LotR, same as The One Ring game.
      RotGrub -
      this means non-bobble-headed-tiny-shoe halflings.
    Comments Leave Comment