Monte Cook's DM's Guild-style Store For Cypher System Is Now A Thing

The Cypher System Creator Program (which I mentioned before) has now been officially announced by Monte Cook Games. Like the DMs Guild, it's a partnership with OBS (which runs DrivethrRPG and RPGNow) and is designed to allow third parties create Cypher System materials and sell them. It's not clear if it will look like DMs Guild, with it's own storefront, as the announcement mentions selling the material "at DriveThruRPG and its family of sites". The plan is to go live in Spring 2016 (which is any time from now until late June). It includes free publisher resources - logos, templates, art, etc.

The Cypher System Creator Program (which I mentioned before) has now been officially announced by Monte Cook Games. Like the DMs Guild, it's a partnership with OBS (which runs DrivethrRPG and RPGNow) and is designed to allow third parties create Cypher System materials and sell them. It's not clear if it will look like DMs Guild, with it's own storefront, as the announcement mentions selling the material "at DriveThruRPG and its family of sites". The plan is to go live in Spring 2016 (which is any time from now until late June). It includes free publisher resources - logos, templates, art, etc.

There's no news yet on the royalties side. WotC's DMs Guild takes 50% of your gross revenue, but that doesn't mean that this new venture will. You can read the announcement here. More information as and when I hear it!

Cypher-System-Logo-Black.png

Von Ether

Legend
Other than Star Wars, which big sellers are not OGL or low level-entry licenced* or in some way?

*Cypher and Savage Worlds have licencing.agreements and the buzz is that FAGE will also have one soon.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think it's the licensing so much as the marketing and publisher tools here. Rather than just allowing you to do stuff, this is actively helping you.

Von Ether

Legend
Oh. I agree.

Just saying that it seems that most of the popular systems have a third party channel. Maybe this model will supplant paid system licences?

We'll see. I think the Cypher experiment will be more of a litmus test than the DMG.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
This will be cool. I have some stuff already to go. My only prob is, is there enough demand? How many people are playing this game? I have many threads on here regarding Cypher and very few to no responses on most of them? I know ENWorld may be a small sample size, but still? Anyway, it is still a cool system and I am looking forward to this :)

Dahak

Explorer
[MENTION=19265]Connorsrpg[/MENTION]: I think you're experiencing a side effect of MCG not having official boards. The installed base is there (hence the kickstarter backer number), but is kind of a diaspora. Google+ and Facebook's communities are the most active. Even in the hostile (to Cypher System, among others) territory of rpg dot net, there are occasional bursts of activity. ENWorld does help our scattered community as an unofficial news board, which has been a boon, but those of us interested in your posts might miss them because we're not necessarily going to the regular message boards.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would be nice to see more Cypher System discussion here, but as Dahak says, it seems to be a system more scattered over social media than on forums (which is a shame, because the two things have different strengths).

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Ahhh, that's interesting. I was wondering if anyone even played Numenera/Cypher - notwithstanding its successful Kickstarters - because there seemed to be no forum presence... but that's because it's on social media instead. Now I know here to look - thanks, Dahak! :)

Dahak

Explorer
I don't know if it would help if Morrus added a Cypher System specific board here, or not. Maybe as a trial? I'm assuming the messages could be filtered back into general if it didn't maintain enough activity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know if it would help if Morrus added a Cypher System specific board here, or not. Maybe as a trial? I'm assuming the messages could be filtered back into general if it didn't maintain enough activity.

We tried it once before. The silence was deafening!

Remove ads

Remove ads