Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Revenant Subrace, Monster Hunter, and Inquisitive

There's a new Unearthed Arcana up from WotC's Mike Mearls, and this month it looks at Gothic Options for your D&D game, supplementing the themes of the recently released Curse of Strahd. The Revenant is a new sub race which can be applied to any existing race, the Monster Hunter is a fighter archetype, and the Inquisitive is an archetype for rogues who excel at solving mysteries. "This month, Unearthed Arcana takes a look at a few new character options appropriate to gothic horror.The revenant subrace provides an interesting way to bring a character back from the dead—a useful option if you’ve lost a character in the mists of Barovia. The Monster Hunter and the Inquisitive are two new archetypes for the fighter and rogue, respectively, well suited to the challenges of Ravenloft or any other gothic horror campaign."

There's a new Unearthed Arcana up from WotC's Mike Mearls, and this month it looks at Gothic Options for your D&D game, supplementing the themes of the recently released Curse of Strahd. The Revenant is a new sub race which can be applied to any existing race, the Monster Hunter is a fighter archetype, and the Inquisitive is an archetype for rogues who excel at solving mysteries. "This month, Unearthed Arcana takes a look at a few new character options appropriate to gothic horror.The revenant subrace provides an interesting way to bring a character back from the dead—a useful option if you’ve lost a character in the mists of Barovia. The Monster Hunter and the Inquisitive are two new archetypes for the fighter and rogue, respectively, well suited to the challenges of Ravenloft or any other gothic horror campaign."

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 14.42.17.png

Find the 3-page PDF here!
SaveSave

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm not really a fan of this revenant implementation (you should at least be considered undead), I love the monster hunter archetype, and think the inquisitive has promise, though I'm not a fan of the name.

Quartz

Hero
My first impression is that Insightful Fighting seems a bit too powerful, most particularly when combined with Eye for Detail. And it lasts for a minute - typically the rest of the combat. It's much more powerful than the Shield Expert feat, which, while knocking the target prone, only lasts one round (assuming the target gets up). Perhaps have it automatically end after a successful Sneak Attack?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My first impression is that Insightful Fighting seems a bit too powerful, most particularly when combined with Eye for Detail. And it lasts for a minute - typically the rest of the combat. It's much more powerful than the Shield Expert feat, which, while knocking the target prone, only lasts one round (assuming the target gets up). Perhaps have it automatically end after a successful Sneak Attack?

I don't know if Insightful Fighting and Shield Expert are meant to be compared like that. IF is merely allowing for Sneak Attack to just the rogue, it's not granting Advantage or anything like that. Whereas knocking someone prone with SE is granting Advantage to every PC who can attack that target in melee. So the fact that one lasts a minute the other lasts until the target stands up seems to be an apples/oranges comparison.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I love the flavor of the monster hunter, but from a mechanical standpoint, it just seems like a battlemaster who can't do as much with his superiority dice. And the flavor easily appends itself to both the hunter ranger (who one could argue is already exactly this) and the vengeance paladin.

Love the inquisitive, and between this and the swashbuckler, they might actually get me to play a rogue one day.

Reinhart

First Post
While not especially daring, this is probably the most ready-to-play Unearthed Arcana yet.

Revenant is powerful and nearly unstoppable, but great for a narrative game where you're giving a player a 2nd chance to wrap up their loose ends before moving to a new character. Monster Hunter actually succeeds at creating a fighter that is functional in combat, exploration, and interaction! Inquisitive has a few minor mechanical issues and doesn't carry as much fun flavor, but seems like it shouldn't create many problems. I just wish WotC would retire floor-mechanics like Ear for Deceit. They make it so that rolling is either pointless or they don't help at all. Those types of mechanics just don't create a very fun or interesting result.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Definitely not a fan of this revenant implementation. Frankly it shouldn't be a player option (and I do love player options). I mean, it's an undead creature returned to unlife by what amounts to a sheer force of will to complete a very specific task and should be significantly more powerful/potent. This is not something a PC should control (I do miss the 2e "becomes DM-controlled" things, like becoming a lycanthrope, vampire, revenant, etc).

The archetypes are welcome, if a touch underwhelming. I've seen these concepts done far better as 5e classes. If I recall where I'll update this.

Quartz

Hero
I don't know if Insightful Fighting and Shield Expert are meant to be compared like that. IF is merely allowing for Sneak Attack to just the rogue, it's not granting Advantage or anything like that. Whereas knocking someone prone with SE is granting Advantage to every PC who can attack that target in melee. So the fact that one lasts a minute the other lasts until the target stands up seems to be an apples/oranges comparison.

I'm not so sure. Shield Expert will typically only grant advantage to 2-3 people - typically the one or two on the front line and maybe the rogue who can dart in - and then only for one round. This is blanket sneak attack for 1 minute.

Perhaps another way of limiting it would be to disallow retrying the skill check?

Perhaps we have some of the playtesters here?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I really like the concept of the monster hunter.

I don't see myself ever playing a revenant.

The inquisitor looks fun! (Name is awkward, though.)

Could definitely see a bardic college dedicated to ghost stories, monster tales, and frightful sound.

Remove ads

Remove ads