Strahd Castle Ravenloft in 3d glory!
  • Strahd Castle Ravenloft in 3d glory!

EN World member shoak1 created this awesome 3D model of Castle Ravenloft -- "Just about to start my Ravenloft campaign, and here is the castle I built to use. It's a playable surface, room numbers are shown with white tags for reference (1 square=1 inch=5 feet). I had to keep it to half height to preserve building materials, so its only 160' tall sans dungeon levels, 32" tall."

View from top

entryway

chapel, K15

main floor, map 3

court of the count, 2nd story, map 4

Rooms of weeping, 3rd floor, map 5
    (maps 6-10 are in towers and playable surfaces/decorated, but I didn't take pics of them

Larders of ill omen, dungeon level 1, map 11

Bottom floor dungeon/catacombs, map 12
    Comments 49 Comments
      ccs -
      Cool.

Personally I don't think it looks like Castle Ravenloft. But it's still cool.
      Jester David -
      Absolutely amazing stuff.
      I had to keep it to half height to preserve building materials, so its only 160' tall sans dungeon levels, 32" tall.
      Which, incidentally, keeps it in line with the realistic sizes of castles. Castle Ravenloft is comically tall with ridiculously high ceilings and walls. It's twice the height of any castle in the real world.
      jprepo1 -
      Ain't no one got time for that.

Very cool though.
      shoak1 -
      did you compare the furnishings in each room with the room descriptions, I think I did a pretty good job w/the decor....I even have a 3d pipe organ in K10
      werecorpse -
      Congrats. It looks awesome. I hope you had fun making it and you and your players have an even better time exploring it.
      HighlanderFrodie -
      Very cool!!! Great job!!!
      closterphobia -
      That looks great, your players will be blown away and have fond memories of their Ravenloft sessions.
      Limitless-Adventures -
      What did he use? Looks like Fat Dragon pieces. Really impressive.
      shoak1 -
      Used mostly Terraclips, some Terraworks download-print-tape stuff, some plastic/ceramic props, some images I printed out on color printer, misc.stuff from toys/games.
      Hussar -
      Very cool.
      Maul -
      Your gonna have to rent that thing out to make any of your money back. How much did that cost?
      Moorcrys -
      Awesome!
      bjmorga -
      Very cool. I'm making a Castle Ravenloft in Minecraft currently. I can guarantee it will not look as amazing as this.
      EthanSental -
      Well now I know who kept buying up all the terraclips and possibly outbidding me on eBay . I have 3 sets myself and just used them during my session today. Really nice gaming accessory that never really caught on it seems. I see the prison set on there too. I think there's a set still for sale at my local game store, which I'll check to see what type/model it is.

I like it and would enjoy being a player at that table.
      shoak1 -
      Yeah, I scooped up about 20 Terraclip sets all together, I had a feeling I'd better get em while I could
      Ancalagon -
      ... I could have sworn I had replied to this thread...

Anyway, my post should have been:

This is awesome! I once made a lego fort for a game, but this really takes the cake!
      shoak1 -
      Yeah, it baffles me to re why terraclips didn't sell like hotcakes - certainly much more reuseable than miniature figures and no more expensive than buying a dozen such figures. And now you have a remakeable dungeon level....or small village. A typical ceramic miniature building alone on ebay is usually $50, and its not an infinitely reformable product and its not really a playable surface.
      Ancalagon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester Canuck View Post
      Absolutely amazing stuff.

Which, incidentally, keeps it in line with the realistic sizes of castles. Castle Ravenloft is comically tall with ridiculously high ceilings and walls. It's twice the height of any castle in the real world.
      I'm curious, do you have a height to give me?
    1. skinnydwarf -
      Impressive... most impressive. I'm sure you will have happy players.

Quick question I didn't in the comments- is this based on the original Castle Ravenloft maps, or is it based on something in Curse of Strahd? I am playing that in Encounters right now, and want to send a link to my group, but not if I'm going to accidentally spoil dungeon layouts.
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      I'm curious, do you have a height to give me?
      Warwick Castle in England is the tallest in the UK at 128 ft. Castles typically seem to max out at 95-110 feet tall.

Meanwhile, Castle Ravenloft is 360 feet tall.

A few cathedrals can be taller. But these are typically heavily buttressed with a single large tower. Ulm church, the tallest, has a slender tower-in-a-tower for support.
    Comments Leave Comment