Jack Chick Passes Away

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.
The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

chick.jpg

[video=youtube;8qc9JiIiOSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ[/video]

Von Ether

Legend
Ah. Yes one of the architects of what I called "America's Second Red Scare."

To posthumously wish him ill will would be to stoop to his level.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Ah religion...

Poor fool didn't even get the tract right; the DM should have given Black Leaf a saving throw vs. poison ;-)

Chaosmancer

Legend
Honestly, my dad helped me fall in love with D&D when I was 7 yrs old, he played the old floppy disc computer games, but never the tabletop version. When I was 10 I googled D&D for a school project, and his Dark Dungeons was the first thing I found, first thing I saw as an outsiders view of D&D. I knew it was ridiculous, but knowing this is how other people saw the game is why I never talked to anyone outside my family about it, and frankly not even then because a lot of my family is very conservative and religious. Never got a chance to play, until college.

Of course, playing in College with the Guild has been some of the best times in my life, so I suppose it balances to a degree.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Don't know what to think. On a way we have one less prejudiced man on earth, but on the other hand every life is precious, and I'm sure the man has got to have loved ones that miss him dear? How do we know he didn't live under a rock and was just very sheltered on many many topics? Or maybe Poes Law? I'll never know why I always feel the need to play devil's advocate... wait a minute, mmm let's just leave it at that.

Remove ads

Remove ads