Sean's Picks of the Week (1024-1028) - Rifts, Dungeons, Shaintar, D&D, and Halloween

This week, we've got mercenaries in Rifts, grand melees for D&D 5e, psionic masters for Shaintar and Savage Worlds, dungeons for everyone, and a grand Halloween sale. All of that follows. However, I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that I am trying a new approach to the Picks of the Day, starting next Monday. I will debut the Pick of the Day via the ENN News Network each weekday; it will then be shared out across my "network," including the Sean's Pick of the Day site. So you will see Picks daily, and then the weekly roundup will actually appear on SPOD first. Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

This week, we've got mercenaries in Rifts, grand melees for D&D 5e, psionic masters for Shaintar and Savage Worlds, dungeons for everyone, and a grand Halloween sale. All of that follows. However, I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that I am trying a new approach to the Picks of the Day, starting next Monday. I will debut the Pick of the Day via the ENN News Network each weekday; it will then be shared out across my "network," including the Sean's Pick of the Day site. So you will see Picks daily, and then the weekly roundup will actually appear on SPOD first. Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

RIFTS MERCENARIES

Whether you are a long term fan of Palladium’s Rifts, a returnee or newcomer thanks to Savage Rifts; or simply interested in some great information on running campaigns that feature post-apoc mercenaries; this rather famous book from the original Rifts line has a lot of great stuff for you.

A giant sourcebook for the Rifts® Role-Playing Game.

• 9 new Occupational Character Classes including the Bounty Hunter, Master Assassin, Smuggler, spies and more.
  • Rules for creating a mercenary company.
  • Six NPC mercenary companies are described, complete with key characters, villains, history and adventure ideas. Some are good, some evil, others more than they seem.
  • Transdimensional mercs and arms dealers.
  • More weapons and equipment from Northern Gun.
  • Scores of new weapons, bots and vehicles.
  • Additional hints and data about the Coalition States, Tolkeen, the Pecos Empire and visitors from other dimensions.
  • Tons of adventure ideas, characters and more!
  • 160 pages.

DRIVETHRURPG'S HALLOWEEN SALE

There’s a huge amount of it on sale over at DriveThruRPG and all of the sister sites. As well, the annual Trick-or-Treat Jack-O-Lantern search is going on right now, where you can get some great additional deals, free stuff, and some funny “tricks” as you search all the sites and find them.

DUNGEONS FOR THE MASTER

Sometimes, a gamer creates a bunch of great stuff for his own purposes. His friends see it and say “You should totally share that!” Those of you who love dungeons are very fortunate that Matt Davids of Dicegeeks is one of those folks. Behold – 177 Dungeons for the Master.

Never Get Caught without a Dungeon Map

Your players now want to explore the ruins you mentioned in an offhand remark. Don’t worry. With this ebook of maps, you’ll have an exciting dungeon ready to go before your players can open the Doritos bag or check Facebook.

Game masters never get caught without a dungeon map ever again. Never worry about your players straying from the main adventure. Always have a dungeon ready to go.

This PDF includes:
  • 100 hand-drawn original dungeon maps. These maps will only be available in this PDF.
  • Unique dungeon names to get your creativity flowing.
  • A comprehensive 1D100 table of dungeon encounters. Have characters fall into fiery pits, not cliches.
  • Plus, all the maps I have ever posted on my blog or included in free products. The total number of dungeon maps is 177!

SHAINTAR: ADEPT ORDERS & CITADELS

The inexorable march to completion of the Shaintar Kickstarter is now a sprint as books come flying out of Savage Mojo, and here’s the latest. Anyone interested in fantasy psionics, especially for Savage Worlds, should grab the Black Lantern Report: Adept Orders & Citadels.

The Adepts are a mysterious group. Originally following the Way as taught by the Dregordians, these people have an extreme control over their own minds and bodies. Some few, such as some members the Warrior-Adepts of the Jade flame can attack others mind to mind, or influence them subtly. Other orders focus on the balance between mind and body. The Farspeakers guild also draws its numbers from the Adepts’ numbers.

In this book, you’ll learn about the various orders, find out where most of the Citadels are located and finally be told about the black Orders that work as mercenaries for anyone no matter the task – even if it means working with slavers and the like. You’ll also find new gear, power edges, edges, Adept disciplines and read some rumors that might need to be investigated.

THE GRAND MELEE (5E)

Unfortunately, my Pick of the Day site was down for almost two days, so I missed posting this one as it came out. However, I want to make sure you don't miss the latest from Michael Surbrook Presents, which is his brilliantly researched and presented "medieval sports guide" for the 5e system.

Flashing swords, shining armor, and shattering lances…

…are all part of the greatest sporting event of the Middle Ages: the Tournament.

With The Grand Melee, you have all the information you need to include a medieval tournament in your 5e campaign for the World's Most Popular Roleplaying Game. This 24-page supplement details how to set a tournament up; how one should be run; and what rewards to give the victors. Also included are optional rules for conducting jousts. So download a copy today and prepare your self for the pomp and pageantry of a medieval tournament!

This is the latest in a series of products Evil Beagle Games is proud to bring you, from the creative and prolific mind and talents of Michael Surbrook. Look for many more useful, well-researched, and highly creative products from him in the future.

~~~~~

So, as you read this, I am likely in my Captain's uniform, representing the Royal Manticoran Navy at Mile Hi Con here in Denver. I've actually let the wrestling thing slide; the Interested Parties are on hiatus, due to a serious disconnect with the local wrestling community. Changes at what was NRW (now Rocky Mountain Pro), putting the nefarious Vince Russo in charge, have us far less than enthused... and the other promotion never really got back to us.

As such, I've found a new "LARP jam," which has me and my friends delving deep into the Honorverse. We've got an official presence at the con, and full speed ahead.

Meanwhile, running a couple of Savage Rifts games at the con, and on a panel or two. That's my weekend, summed up.

How about you? Any good gaming planned, or other wonderful geekery?

The Adventure Continues!

~ Captain (JG) Sean Patrick Fannon, CO HMS Reliant

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
I love a good map, so I followed the link and looked at the preview of "177 Dungeons for the Master." Man, what a disappointment. It looks like someone cranked these things out as fast as possible (or even just randomly generated them). The maps are as plain as possible. No details, no interesting features.

There are some much, much better products available if you're looking for maps. Check out the work of Dyson Logos or Tim Hartin of Paratime Design. Both of those guys make AWESOME maps that will feed your imagination.

Remove ads

Remove ads