Volo's Preview at Kotaku: Flinds, Yuan-Ti, & More
  • Stream of Annihilation Preview - DINOSAURS!

Not only did Chris Perkins pretty much confirmed that the product codenamed "Dust" is the one which Pendleton Ward was involved with (see below), but WotC's Greg Tito also confirms that the weekend-long live stream will feature the main announcement right at the beginning with a preview of a piece of art featuring.... dinosaurs! The video below features that art, as well as Tito talking about the...

Read More

Fantasy Money Card Deck

Gaming is always better with props! This card deck for the WOIN (What's OLD is NEW) roleplaying game system gives your players physical currency to handle and exchange. No more tracking your wealth on your character sheet - your wealth tracks itself! As the PCs spend money, they hand gold coin cards to the GM, and as...

Read More

Check Out Modiphius' Star Trek Miniatures!

Over on Beasts of War, there's a look at Modiphius' new Star Trek miniatures. These are 32mm unpainted resin miniatures featuring the original Enterprise crew, and the Next Generation crew. The game - Star Trek Adventures - uses Modiphius' 2d20 system (which was used in their Conan RPG, amongst other games) and is due for release in...

Read More
  • Volo's Preview at Kotaku: Flinds, Yuan-Ti, & More

Kotaku has posted a new preview of Volo's Guide to Monsters. This one looks at gnolls, lizardfolk, flinds, and yuan-ti. Don't forget to check out all the previous previews of the upcoming 224-page monster book for D&D 5th Edition - the froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Credit goes to EN World member Entsuropi for spotting this one!

SaveSave
    SaveSave
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Volo's Preview at Kotaku: Flinds, Yuan-Ti, etc started by Morrus View original post
    Comments 53 Comments
      bleezy -
      Wow, the flind is extremely powerful. That's the CR of humanoid warlord I would expect to be ruling an entire kingdom.

Edit: Also, the leucrotta will be in VGtM!
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bleezy View Post
      Wow, the flind is extremely powerful. That's the CR of humanoid warlord I would expect to be ruling an entire kingdom.
      Yeah, they really upped the flind power level. But I'm good with that - it makes them more distinct than earlier edition flinds which were basically "gnolls with a couple more hit dice and a funky weapon".

It's interesting - apparently lizardfolk are getting a section in Chapter 1, which was unexpected. We knew that there would be at least seven creatures covered in detail in Chapter 1 since it was said that there would be seven lair maps, and thought we had all seven accounted for. Then hags were previewed and brought that up to eight, and now we have lizardfolk which bring it up to nine! I wonder if we'll see even more creatures covered in Chapter 1. I guess we find out for sure on Friday!

EDIT: Just saw the leucrotta reference too! Awesome, another of my "100 monsters I want to see updated" crossed off! And the lizardfolk page is from Chapter 2 I see, so that means it's being set up as a playable race!
      AaronOfBarbaria -
      I've been mildly interested in this book since it was first announced, but something about this preview has elevated that to genuine excited anticipation.

And I too am glad to see that it looks like leucrotta will officially return for this edition.
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
      It's interesting - apparently lizardfolk are getting a section in Chapter 1, which was unexpected.
      Are you sure about that? The page number is "112". Looks to me like the lizardfolk excerpt is from chapter 2.
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
      Are you sure about that? The page number is "112". Looks to me like the lizardfolk excerpt is from chapter 2.
      You must have been posting this as I was editing my post to say that lol.

(Yep, you posted 2 minutes after I edited )
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by bleezy View Post

Edit: Also, the leucrotta will be in VGtM!
      I think that a Gnoll Warband is like an Orc Hoard, not just a Tribe, but I could be wrong.
      flametitan -
      The book describes the lizardfolk as emotionless; I believe "overly pragmatic" is a more apt description.
      Demetrios1453 -
      Look, yet another preview, on Gizmodo, with more new pages:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/an-inside-loo...-dr-1788412425

New stuff on goblins, hobgoblins, and kobolds, plus the barghest is getting updated for the new edition. I'm wanting this book more and more with each preview!

Heh, the nilbog is back as well, although not so "gamey" as it was previously. And finally, a mention of a goblinoid god who isn't Maglubiyet, as Khurgorbaeyeg is mentioned in the nilbog article (as well as another, unnamed dead goblin deity whose essence creates nilbogs).
      bleezy -
      Healing doesn't hurt the nilbog? I'm a little disappointed with this particular monster update...
      gyor -
      The Flind isn't the only one to get a promotion. When did Dendar get a promotion to Goddess?

She started off an Eldrich Horror, then moved to Primodial, then Star Pact Elder Evil, then now Yuan Ti Goddess. She's going up in the world!!! Hehehe.

On a more serious note, I guess I was wrong about Flind being playable, dang was I wrong.

I love a Lizardfolk Quirks, it makes me want to play Lizardfolk, something I never expected, they were so funny. They really played up the alieness of the Lizardfolk.

I loved the Yuan Ti Nightmarespeaker. Its a nice twist on the Yuan Ti. Still they should remember that Dendar only feeds on nightmares people FORGET, you that requires subtly to the torture, and no sleep depraving, wake someone up too earily and they may remember the nightmare. I want to know in what region of FR do Yuan Ti worship Dendar?
      Corpsetaker -
      One thing I really miss are the physical descriptions we used to get. I remember Flinds were always described as bigger but stockier than normal Flinds. I'm not seeing anything on the Flind Bar either.
      I'm A Banana -
      I think the gnoll stuff is kind of weak.

Maybe the best way to articulate it...look at how often the Gnoll mentions demons or name-checks Yeenoghu. Compare that to how often the other monster bits released so far need to talk about their origin story - yuan-ti, beholders, mind flayers...what created them isn't the most relevant part of their biography. But it feels like gnolls are kind of all about that demon lord, and not much else. Their identity is boiled down to "minions of a demon lord." It's kind of a narrow, simplistic lens.

This may just be an artifact of a limited viewport, maybe the gnoll entry goes on about more than just how bad of a dude Yeenoghu is (and the gnolls are just examples of his bad dudeness!) on other pages and we're just not seein' 'em. And maybe I'm just a big grump. But personally, I don't think the most interesting thing about Batman is that he is a rich kid with dead parents.
    1. Istbor -
      I like those lizardman quirks. I want to play a Lizardman who always brings a tub to fill with water for sleeping!
      Demetrios1453 -
      Rot grubs are mentioned on the kobold inventor page in the Gizmodo preview - they will be appearing in "Appendix A". So it looks like we'll have the MM set-up with "Miscellaneous Creatures" in Appendix A and NPCs in Appendix B.
      Corpsetaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by I'm A Banana View Post
      I think the gnoll stuff is kind of weak.

Maybe the best way to articulate it...look at how often the Gnoll mentions demons or name-checks Yeenoghu. Compare that to how often the other monster bits released so far need to talk about their origin story - yuan-ti, beholders, mind flayers...what created them isn't the most relevant part of their biography. But it feels like gnolls are kind of all about that demon lord, and not much else. Their identity is boiled down to "minions of a demon lord." It's kind of a narrow, simplistic lens.

This may just be an artifact of a limited viewport, maybe the gnoll entry goes on about more than just how bad of a dude Yeenoghu is (and the gnolls are just examples of his bad dudeness!) on other pages and we're just not seein' 'em. And maybe I'm just a big grump. But personally, I don't think the most interesting thing about Batman is that he is a rich kid with dead parents.
      I think it's because they have decided to take the history of the gnoll and twist it around.
      gyor -

New stuff on goblins, hobgoblins, and kobolds, plus the barghest is getting updated for the new edition. I'm wanting this book more and more with each preview!

Heh, the nilbog is back as well, although not so "gamey" as it was previously. And finally, a mention of a goblinoid god who isn't Maglubiyet, as Khurgorbaeyeg is mentioned in the nilbog article (as well as another, unnamed dead goblin deity whose essence creates nilbogs).
      I love the Goblin Nilbog, its sounds like alot of fun, choatic evil, but easily appeased and so in a limited sense tamable.

Given we know we get playable goblins, it'd be fun to play a Goblin Bard who had previously been possessed by a Nilbog, or a Goblin Warlock who'd make some kind of pact with a Nilbog (not sure which pact fits best, fiendish maybe, although I think Star pacts gifts fit the Nilbog better, or maybe even a Undying Pact with it.
      Ath-kethin -
      It's interesting to see warlocks getting some more attention here (See: Yuan-ti Nightmare Speaker).

EDIT: also bards, by way of the Gizmodo nilbog preview.
      MonsterEnvy -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      The Flind isn't the only one to get a promotion. When did Dendar get a promotion to Goddess?

She started off an Eldrich Horror, then moved to Primodial, then Star Pact Elder Evil, then now Yuan Ti Goddess. She's going up in the world!!! Hehehe.

On a more serious note, I guess I was wrong about Flind being playable, dang was I wrong.

I love a Lizardfolk Quirks, it makes me want to play Lizardfolk, something I never expected, they were so funny. They really played up the alieness of the Lizardfolk.

I loved the Yuan Ti Nightmarespeaker. Its a nice twist on the Yuan Ti. Still they should remember that Dendar only feeds on nightmares people FORGET, you that requires subtly to the torture, and no sleep depraving, wake someone up too earily and they may remember the nightmare. I want to know in what region of FR do Yuan Ti worship Dendar?
      Dendar was mentioned in the Monster Manual and Storm King's Thunder as an object of Yuan Ti Worship. She is also still stated to be a primordial but Yuan Ti worship her like a god. And it really does not require subtly for the torture as it will likely scare them and give them nightmares of the pain or more torture.
      flametitan -

I'm now really hoping there will be playable hobgoblins. I really want to make a hobgoblin Ironshadow for a character when I'm not a perma DM.
    1. TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by I'm A Banana View Post
      This may just be an artifact of a limited viewport, maybe the gnoll entry goes on about more than just how bad of a dude Yeenoghu is (and the gnolls are just examples of his bad dudeness!) on other pages and we're just not seein' 'em.
      But is your gnoll a bad enough dude to save the president Yeenoghu?
    Comments Leave Comment