Volo's Preview at Kotaku: Flinds, Yuan-Ti, & More

Kotaku has posted a new preview of Volo's Guide to Monsters. This one looks at gnolls, lizardfolk, flinds, and yuan-ti. Don't forget to check out all the previous previews of the upcoming 224-page monster book for D&D 5th Edition - the froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Credit goes to EN World member Entsuropi for spotting this one!

dymxqfm9r95yhet040h7.png

etrekmoxo8nxlph3yyqr.png

nnsu5wtm4sxlzci4pqn6.png

vjl4wpmlfcl8d7bgvh5y.png

pv4ybkqmlkyu5wkxuo7w.png

evcvhtltmy6lr9zrvtk7.png

SaveSave
SaveSave

bleezy

First Post
Wow, the flind is extremely powerful. That's the CR of humanoid warlord I would expect to be ruling an entire kingdom.

Edit: Also, the leucrotta will be in VGtM!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, the flind is extremely powerful. That's the CR of humanoid warlord I would expect to be ruling an entire kingdom.

Yeah, they really upped the flind power level. But I'm good with that - it makes them more distinct than earlier edition flinds which were basically "gnolls with a couple more hit dice and a funky weapon".

It's interesting - apparently lizardfolk are getting a section in Chapter 1, which was unexpected. We knew that there would be at least seven creatures covered in detail in Chapter 1 since it was said that there would be seven lair maps, and thought we had all seven accounted for. Then hags were previewed and brought that up to eight, and now we have lizardfolk which bring it up to nine! I wonder if we'll see even more creatures covered in Chapter 1. I guess we find out for sure on Friday! :)

EDIT: Just saw the leucrotta reference too! Awesome, another of my "100 monsters I want to see updated" crossed off! :) And the lizardfolk page is from Chapter 2 I see, so that means it's being set up as a playable race!

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I've been mildly interested in this book since it was first announced, but something about this preview has elevated that to genuine excited anticipation.

And I too am glad to see that it looks like leucrotta will officially return for this edition.

gyor

Legend

Edit: Also, the leucrotta will be in VGtM!

I think that a Gnoll Warband is like an Orc Hoard, not just a Tribe, but I could be wrong.

Look, yet another preview, on Gizmodo, with more new pages:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/an-inside-look-at-the-creepy-creatures-of-dungeons-dr-1788412425

New stuff on goblins, hobgoblins, and kobolds, plus the barghest is getting updated for the new edition. I'm wanting this book more and more with each preview!

Heh, the nilbog is back as well, although not so "gamey" as it was previously. And finally, a mention of a goblinoid god who isn't Maglubiyet, as Khurgorbaeyeg is mentioned in the nilbog article (as well as another, unnamed dead goblin deity whose essence creates nilbogs).

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases