VOLO'S GUIDE Around The Web - The Ultimate Preview Compilation
  • VOLO'S GUIDE Around The Web - The Ultimate Preview Compilation

Folks have been posting photos of their purchases of Volo's Guide to Monsters (out in preferred stores on Friday, and the rest the world on November 15th) around the web. Here's a few posts that I know of - including the table of contents! WotC has shown off tons of the book to various websites over the last few weeks, and I've tracked all of them. Don't miss hags & slithering trackers, goblins, nilbogs, kobolds, hobgoblins, & barghests, flinds, gnolls & yuan-ti, froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Plus, of course, the 10 new monster PC races! The images below courtesy of @GarettKP, @darjr, and Lexjeid on Reddit.

SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
    Comments 25 Comments
      MonsterEnvy -
      You have two of the same image.
      Atsur -
      Just as an FYI, WotC had the Reddit admins take down the AMA from the guy who posted the above pictures, so the same might happen here.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Atsur View Post
      Just as an FYI, WotC had the Reddit admins take down the AMA from the guy who posted the above pictures, so the same might happen here.
      No, it won't.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnvy View Post
      You have two of the same image.
      Accidentally posted one twice. Bonus!
      Atsur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus;[URL="tel:6935550" View Post
      6935550[/URL]]No, it won't.
      Okay . Just thought I'd give you a head's up!

Can't wait for my copy!
      GarrettKP -
      Name: 1478116330831.jpg ► Views: 6755 ► Size: 1,678.2 KB
      Sunseeker -
      Yuan-Ti: "Snake people" seems a little uninspired when reading some of their predecessors on the list. "Little Dragons" just makes Kobolds feel completely adorable to me. Totally stoked on the idea of fallen Aasimar, reminds me of some of the "fallen Deva" stuff from 4E.
      vpuigdoller -
      Omg official stats for vegepymy yay
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by shidaku View Post
      Yuan-Ti: "Snake people" seems a little uninspired when reading some of their predecessors on the list. "Little Dragons" just makes Kobolds feel completely adorable to me. Totally stoked on the idea of fallen Aasimar, reminds me of some of the "fallen Deva" stuff from 4E.

I think they were going for adoreable/pathetic/comedic with the Kobolds in this edition, so it fits?

Based on the Orc previewed stuff...anybody else think that somebody at WotC was playing "King of Dragon Pass" too mich (not that there's anything wrong with that), and they decided to just make Orcs into Orlanthi with tusks? The "Godsworn," all the Orc variants seem like HeroQuesters...
      Sunseeker -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      I think they were going for adoreable/pathetic/comedic with the Kobolds in this edition, so it fits?
      I'm honestly reconsidering kobolds being typical low level bad guys with their presentation this turn.
    1. Chaosmancer -
      Holy Crap, that Fallen Aasmir ability seems to be huge. I'm almost worried about the balance.

So many, many amazing things to discover in this book though. I don't recognize most of these monster names and it has me a little excited.
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
      Holy Crap, that Fallen Aasmir ability seems to be huge. I'm almost worried about the balance.

So many, many amazing things to discover in this book though. I don't recognize most of these monster names and it has me a little excited.
      Actually I think its the weakest. Radiant is better damage then Necrotic, after that its fear vs. flight vs. 10' radiant damaging aura.

The Aura is great for picking off weak creatures surrounding you, and boost your damage. Flight is, well flight, I don't think that needs explaination why that is good (it doesn't violate AL rules on flight either as it doesn't kick in till level 3.)

The Fallen Angel reminds me abit of the Valkyries from Lost Girl.
      GarrettKP -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      gyor -
      Thanks it gives touched by dark powers as an option for playing none evil Fallen Aasimar.
      gyor -
      Parts of the fluff are iffy and don't fit with the little bit of info in the SCAG, were most Aasimar aren't all connected to Mount Celestia, in fact most are descended from Mulhorandi/Untherite Gods and their servants, with a minor descended from other celestials, or are Incarnated Devas.

Still only a slight background adjustment, replace Angellic Guides with Mulhorandi Gods.
      flametitan -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      Parts of the fluff are iffy and don't fit with the little bit of info in the SCAG, were most Aasimar aren't all connected to Mount Celestia, in fact most are descended from Mulhorandi/Untherite Gods and their servants, with a minor descended from other celestials, or are Incarnated Devas.

Still only a slight background adjustment, replace Angellic Guides with Mulhorandi Gods.
      An alternative might also be to say the DMG aasimar represents "when a human and an angel love each other very much" while the Volo Aasimar represents a being that was created in a more "planned" divine intervention, and thus was either sent to the Material Plane as a child or created in a virgin Birth.
      Kyvin -
      Does anyone know what the full stats and abilities are for Kenku or Tabaxi?
      Elderbrain -
      Is there a Paladin NPC stat block? I see something called a "Champion" listed and am wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that it is a Paladin (I suppose it could be a Fighter).
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Quote Originally Posted by flametitan View Post
      An alternative might also be to say the DMG aasimar represents "when a human and an angel love each other very much" while the Volo Aasimar represents a being that was created in a more "planned" divine intervention, and thus was either sent to the Material Plane as a child or created in a virgin Birth.
      So Jesus was an Aasimar?
    1. ferratus -
      The Triton is OUTRAGEOUS! I think I will call my first adventure "The time I made too many Batman Brave and the Bold references!"

Seriously though, water control magic and telepathy with sea creatures. Now combine it with a 4 elements monk (water only) and you've got D&D Aquaman!
    Comments Leave Comment