List of NPC Stat Blocks in VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS
  • List of NPC Stat Blocks in VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS

One of the great things about the D&D 5E Monster Manual (a concept which I blatantly copied when creating the Bestiaries for WOIN) is the standardised NPC stat blocks which can be referenced by an adventure simply by bolding it. Volo's Guide to Monsters expands on that with a whole new bunch of NPC stat blocks, which I have listed below (thanks to @JohnnyZemo for kindly providing the list!)

Abjurer
    Apprentice Wizard
    Archdruid
    Archer
    Bard
    Blackguard
    Champion
    Conjurer
    Diviner
    Enchanter
    Evoker
    Illusionist
    Kraken Priest
    Martial Arts Adept
    Master Thief
    Necromancer
    Swashbuckler
    Transmuter
    War Priest
    Warlock of the Archfey
    Warlock of the Fiend
    Warlock of the Great Old One
    Warlord
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Comments 27 Comments
      Sword of Spirit -
      We seem to be missing an honorable paladin type. Looks like most other things are fairly well covered (assuming archer and scout cover ranger to some extent).
    1. CapnZapp -
      Finally some good news today!
      koga305 -
      That's a great list! Is there any chance anyone has the Challenges of those various characters?
      Charles Rampant -
      Archer is surprisingly good to see. I once tried the Mass Battle rules thing from UA, but it was noticably a problem when I put down loads of Veterans to serve as archers; they were crap at shooting but really tough, undermining the intended narrative a little.

Something that I was wondering; do you think that future adventures will make use of these and the other VGtM statblocks? I'm just wondering, because it seems quite a tough situation; do the adventure writers assume that the reader has possession of it, and make use of the new and interesting stuff, or do they assume the opposite, and we never get to see Nilbog and whatnot in a published adventure? Both seem troublesome in their own way. I guess that they can do a certain amount of wiggling (sidebars saying "if you own VGtM, make these substitutions")...
      DEFCON 1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sword of Spirit View Post
      We seem to be missing an honorable paladin type. Looks like most other things are fairly well covered (assuming archer and scout cover ranger to some extent).
      I'd presume the Knight from the MM was already covering that motif.
      dave2008 -
      FYI, the list is virtually unreadable w/ a black background
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Entsuropi View Post
      do you think that future adventures will make use of these and the other VGtM statblocks?
      I sure hope so, otherwise they're useless and needs to be moved into future printings of the Monster Manual.
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Entsuropi View Post
      Archer is surprisingly good to see. I once tried the Mass Battle rules thing from UA, but it was noticably a problem when I put down loads of Veterans to serve as archers; they were crap at shooting but really tough, undermining the intended narrative a little.

Something that I was wondering; do you think that future adventures will make use of these and the other VGtM statblocks? I'm just wondering, because it seems quite a tough situation; do the adventure writers assume that the reader has possession of it, and make use of the new and interesting stuff, or do they assume the opposite, and we never get to see Nilbog and whatnot in a published adventure? Both seem troublesome in their own way. I guess that they can do a certain amount of wiggling (sidebars saying "if you own VGtM, make these substitutions")...
      I'm guessing they will be used, with a disclaimer at the start saying something like "If you don't own Volo's Guide to Monsters, you can substitute the creature from the Monster Manual which follows in parentheses", and then have a substitute monster each time a Volo's monster is used...
      dave2008 -
      What I want to know is: are the Volo monsters going to be added to the basic rules / srd. How does that work or how will it work? If they are added to the free docs by the time they appear in an adventure then no need for disclaimers.
      Elderbrain -
      I really, really hope they will add the generic animals (i.e Cow/Ox and Dolphin) and the NPC stats in the SRD. They might have to leave out some that represent PC options not in the SRD, but otherwise, they should go in.
      Sacrosanct -
      Quote Originally Posted by koga305 View Post
      That's a great list! Is there any chance anyone has the Challenges of those various characters?
      Abjurer 9 (13th level caster)
      Apprentice Wizard 1/4 (1st level caster)
      Archdruid 12 (18th level caster)
      Archer 3
      Bard 2 (4th level caster)
      Blackguard 8 (10th level caster)
      Champion 9
      Conjurer 6 (9th level caster)
      Diviner 8 (15th level caster)
      Enchanter 5 (9th level caster)
      Evoker 9 (12th level caster)
      Illusionist 3 (7th level caster)
      Kraken Priest 5
      Martial Arts adept 3
      Master thief 5
      necromancer 9 (12th level caster)
      swashbuckler 3
      transmuter 5 (9th level caster)
      war priest 9 (9th level caster)
      warlock of archefey 4 (11th level caster)
      warlock of fiend 7 (17th level caster)
      warlock of great old one 6 (14th level caster)
      warlord 12
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by koga305 View Post
      EDIT: Ninja'd by @Sacrosanct.

I'll just add that the warlord comes with legendary actions.

Also:

Aurochs CR 2
      Cow CR 1/4
      Dolphin CR 1/8
      Swarm of Rot Grubs CR 1/2

The ox, rothé, and stench kow are all just presented as variants of the cow. (That is, they don't have full statblocks of their own.)
    1. Tony Vargas -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      War Priest
      Warlock of the Archfey
      Warlock of the Fiend
      Warlock of the Great Old One
      Warlord
      See? D&D is a Wargame

Quote Originally Posted by pukunui View Post
      I'll just add that the warlord comes with legendary actions.
      Seems appropriate, somehow. It should also have powers of censorship - both because it's a military dicator, and because it's mere mention can shutdown discussions in a forum.

The ox, rothé, and stench kow are all just presented as variants of the cow. (That is, they don't have full statblocks of their own.)
      I'd forgotten about the rothé, but I remember liking the idea of using it to fill in a link of a fantasy ecology food chain...
      Sword of Spirit -
      Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON 1 View Post
      I'd presume the Knight from the MM was already covering that motif.
      The problem is that the knight has no spells or supernatural abilities, while the blackguard does.
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
      Seems appropriate, somehow. It should also have powers of censorship - both because it's a military dicator, and because it's mere mention can shutdown discussions in a forum.
      LOL.

For the record, the warlord's legendary actions are:
      Weapon Attack
      Command Ally
      Frighten Foe

I'd forgotten about the rothé, but I remember liking the idea of using it to fill in a link of a fantasy ecology food chain...
      There are two types of rothé. The ordinary kind is just a cow with darkvision. The deep rothé, however, is Large only Medium, has more fewer hit points, has better darkvision, and can cast dancing lights at will.

The problem is that the knight has no spells or supernatural abilities, while the blackguard does.
      It would be easy enough to take the blackguard statblock and convert it into another type of paladin, though. Its only "class" features are some basic paladin spells (no oathbreaker bonus spells) and a 1/rest use of the oathbreaker's Dreadful Aspect channel divinity power.

To make a devotion paladin, you could just take the blackguard, maybe tweak its spell list, and replace Dreadful Aspect with Sacred Weapon.

To make an ancients paladin, you could again tweak the blackguard's spell list and replace Dreadful Aspect with Nature's Wrath.

And so on ...
      Sword of Spirit -
      LIt would be easy enough to take the blackguard statblock and convert it into another type of paladin, though. Its only "class" features are some basic paladin spells (no oathbreaker bonus spells) and a 1/rest use of the oathbreaker's Dreadful Aspect channel divinity power.

To make a devotion paladin, you could just take the blackguard, maybe tweak its spell list, and replace Dreadful Aspect with Sacred Weapon.

To make an ancients paladin, you could again tweak the blackguard's spell list and replace Dreadful Aspect with Nature's Wrath.

And so on ...
      Good point. I'll have to do that.
      pukunui -
      Good point. I'll have to do that.
      To be honest, they probably could have done something similar with all the wizards, instead of giving us a separate statblock for each one ...
    1. Tony Vargas -
      LOL.

For the record, the warlord's legendary actions are:
      Weapon Attack
      Command Ally
      Frighten Foe
      Wow, it doesn't take much to start a legend, does it?

There are two types of rothé. The ordinary kind is just a cow with darkvision. The deep rothé, however, is Large, has more hit points, has darkvision, and can cast dancing lights at will.
      So, even the cows cast spells down here?

To be honest, they probably could have done something similar with all the wizards, instead of giving us a separate statblock for each one ...
      Yeah, but they're not 'Paladins of the Coast.'
      pukunui -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
      So, even the cows cast spells down here?
      Yup! Apparently that's how they communicate with one another.

Yeah, but they're not 'Paladins of the Coast.'
      True!
    1. Tony Vargas -
      What other spells could cows cast?

Mooooove Earth?

Mordenkainen's Rumination?
    Comments Leave Comment