Classic D&D of All Eras Back In Print
  • When D&D Campaigns Become Franchises

We've previously discussed how the seeds of a failed Dungeons & Dragons campaign was the inspiration for several video game franchises like Doom and Quake, but there's another D&D campaign that is more popular than both of them...

Read More

Turn Order: Warped Episode 19: I Swear It Was...

Turn Order: Warped, the official stream of the WOIN roleplaying game system, is back with a new episode! "Felix deals with the aftermath of drinking something he shouldn't have and the crew tries to find him." Join GM of Doom "wacksteven" and the crew of the Black Fang in their intrepid science-fiction adventures! As always,...

Read More

James Bond And The Espionage Role-Playing Game

Today's column was going to be a different thing. I had planned another look at some super-hero role-playing games, continuing what I had talked about over the last few weeks, but when I awoke to news that British actor Roger Moore had passed away I decided on a change of topics....

Read More
  • Classic D&D of All Eras Back In Print

In a move that has the entire Old School Revolution community and Classic Dungeons & Dragons fans around the world buzzing across social media, Wizards of the Coast and DriveThruRPG bring material from all iterations of the World's Most Famous RPG back to print. They did so quietly, but that only means there's a lot more planned.

D&D CLASSICS, PRINT ON DEMAND

Fans of every iteration of D&D have long clamored for WotC to relent and make their favorite materials available in print again. As the publisher re-established its relationship with DriveThruRPG (going so far as to launch a fully-branded separate site, the Dungeon Masters Guild), the call went out across the various networks -

"DriveThru knows how to do print-on-demand, so use that system to let us buy print versions of the D&D stuff we love!"

Challenge accepted, at long last, it would seem. Although they've done so very quietly, OSR sites and fans all over the world are buzzing about it like a bomb went off. Wizards and DriveThru were likely waiting until they had more materials prepped and ready for sale before they were going to make a big deal out of it, but savvy fans saw it coming together and jumped on it right away.

Interestingly, not only is the approach making pre-editions and 1st-4th stuff available for print purchase, it would seem they're willing to use this to print things they'd otherwise not go through the process for. To whit, the Elemental Evil Player's Companion - normally a free PDF - is now available as a $10 print book.

D&D Classics are now available for print options on both DriveThruRPG and Dungeon Masters Guild.

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support. ~SPF
    Comments 171 Comments
      Sqn Cdr Flashheart -
      http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?f..._0_0_0_45547_0

It's an eclectic mix of 14 products!
      guachi -
      Quote Originally Posted by cbwjm View Post
      I've noticed that and am sorely tempted to purchase a hard copy of Dragonlance Adventures.
      If you wanted, you could buy an original copy from ebay for about $20. Personally, I'd rather have the original version if the price premium wasn't too much.
      blakesha -
      I would hazard a guess that the hardback versions of DL Adventures are the original hard copy versions...
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sqn Cdr Flashheart View Post
      http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?f..._0_0_0_45547_0

It's an eclectic mix of 14 products!
      When they started making PDFs for DnDClassics.com it was a pretty sad list as well. It filled up quickly. Pretty soon we can expect most of the back catalogue.
      Sqn Cdr Flashheart -
      Oh yeah this is great news IMO, I'm getting a couple just to check on quality
      delericho -
      That's pretty cool.
      JeffB -
      Yeah, I saw Den of Thieves available last night.

Very cool WOTC!! Now please just kiss and make up with whoever it is so I can get the orginal LBB.
      Jer -
      Quote Originally Posted by cbwjm View Post
      I've noticed that and am sorely tempted to purchase a hard copy of Dragonlance Adventures.
      You can find used copies of Dragonlance Adventures in very good condition for a lot less than that price. I see them every once in a while at the local Half Price Books for $8, and you can find them on Amazon right now for around that price.

Some of the other books though are harder to find. I don't think I've seen a beat-up copy of "Uncaged: Faces of Sigil" selling for less than $25 in a while. That is a crazy selection of initial products though - I have to believe that it's more about the format they had them in and how easy it was to convert them to POD and look good than demand.
      RevTurkey -
      Basic, Expert, Rules Cyclopedia...
      TerraDave -
      As of right now they have 27 titles. Very eclectic.

Depending on the product, they have hardcovers, softcovers, and cards. 4E compatible Gamma World now has a whole new lease on life!
      chibi graz'zt -
      Ive bought color PODs from drive through, they are sturdy books, well done. Super excited that the entire library of D&D is now back in print. This is great news!!

Now to make my Planescape wishlist a reality
      Barantor -
      I'd love to have all the old Greyhawk books in print, I hope they do this for other settings.
    1. DragonBelow -
      Keep in mind that many of these come from scanned copies of the products (just like the PDFs themselves), they won't be the same quality as the original product, but they'll be the best they can be under those circumstances.
      Zansy -
      I've only really played 3rd and 5th edition, but what I'd REALLY like to see available is some Dark Sun stuff :3 I'd pay to learn about/play/run that.
      gweinel -
      I would love to see some of the out of print box sets in print too.
      Jer -
      Quote Originally Posted by gweinel View Post
      I would love to see some of the out of print box sets in print too.
      Well, one of the products up there is the Hollow World boxed set, so there's some hope for reprints on some of the boxed sets. Though it's being printed as a single softcover book rather than as a boxed set. I own that boxed set and I think it would make the maps really annoying to use - the D&D Rules Cyclopedia had maps of Mystara carved up into pages and inserted into it and I never liked how that turned out.

(OTOH - if they had it in hardcover I might actually think about ponying up the money for it. )
      gweinel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
      Well, one of the products up there is the Hollow World boxed set, so there's some hope for reprints on some of the boxed sets. Though it's being printed as a single softcover book rather than as a boxed set. I own that boxed set and I think it would make the maps really annoying to use - the D&D Rules Cyclopedia had maps of Mystara carved up into pages and inserted into it and I never liked how that turned out.

(OTOH - if they had it in hardcover I might actually think about ponying up the money for it. )
      I see. I was hoping for a full treatment having in mind some faboulous (and expensive) planescape box sets...
      Jer -
      Quote Originally Posted by gweinel View Post
      I see. I was hoping for a full treatment having in mind some fabulous (and expensive) planescape box sets...
      Yeah - I don't think Print On Demand technology is quite there yet - at least not in a way that's cheap enough to turn a profit. I'd settle for them figuring out how to cheaply print the giant poster maps that came in so many of the supplements back in the day - not just the boxed sets, but a lot of the saddle-stitched supplement booklets came with a good-sized poster map. A few of my very old Gazeteer maps have become unusable through overuse (Gaz1 & Gaz3 in particular, since back in the day I set many a campaign in either Karameikos or Glantri) and I wouldn't mind buying a newly printed-on-demand copy of those books if I were going to get replacement poster maps with them.
      Thiago Rosa Shinken -
      The Elemental Evil Player Companion has been available for POD for a loooong time, actually
      LuisCarlos17f -
      I would like to buy the Spanish translation of AD&D player's handbook (1989) and some 3.5 sourcebooks weren't published in my languange.
    Comments Leave Comment