RPG Creator Relief Fund Entering 2017

The Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund (RCRF) is a charitable organization that was founded in 2014 to provide financial assistance to tabletop roleplaying game creators suffering hardship due to medical emergencies, natural disasters, and other catastrophic situations.

We all love tabletop RPGs but most of the people who create them are freelancers and even many fulltime industry professionals often work for less income than they could earn in other industries. They create games because they love them, not because they expect to get rich. That means if tragedy strikes, a tabletop RPG creator may not have insurance or enough savings to cope properly. That’s where the Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund comes in. Below we hear from Sean Patrick Fannon, the RCRF’s Communication Director, about the groups future plans…

Greetings to all of you who love RPGs and the folks who make them! There’s no arguing that 2016, whilst a fantastic year in terms of RPG releases and the immense creativity behind them, was a bit rough on a lot of folks who make this their vocation. Injuries, illnesses, and serious financial setbacks hit a lot of great folks, and still others are facing major challenges in the days, weeks, and months to come.

This is exactly why we created the Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund. Inspired by such great efforts as the Hero Initiative, we wanted to put together a way to help RPG writers, artists, editors, and other creative folks who work professionally in this field to gain help through tough times. As a 501©(3) non-profit charitable organization, we need as much help as RPG fans can give us in order to fill the Fund with assets that can be called on when needed.

We experienced a lot of success this year, but we plan to do much more in 2017 and beyond. We’ll be creating more great bundles for you to purchase, with the proceeds going to the Fund. As well, we’ve got some special, exclusive projects in the works, designed specifically for the RCRF to generate much-needed money to give those in need,

We’re also exploring charity drive initiatives, such as auctions at conventions; live-cast gaming feeds; gaming group challenges; and other creative and energetic concepts to motivate the RPG community to help those who make the games and worlds we love.

We’d love to know what gamers would like to see, as well, so please reach out to us and let us know. You can find us online at our website, or on Facebook. If you want to look at the bundles we have available at any given time, check out our DriveThruRPG page.

To all who’ve supported us so far, we thank you most profoundly, and we hope you’ll help us spread the word and get more gamers involved. We all know how important it is to team up to fight the darkness and help our fellow adventurers heal and survive when times are bad.

For the RCRF Board of Directors, Board of Applicants and Advisory Board

Sean Patrick Fannon

Communication Director, RCRF

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
We all love tabletop RPGs but most of the people who create them are freelancers and even many fulltime industry professionals often work for less income than they could earn in other industries.
For those who aren't fulltime, meaning this is part-time, couldn't they work another job? Shouldn't they, if this doesn't pay that well?

They create games because they love them, not because they expect to get rich.
OK.

That means if tragedy strikes, a tabletop RPG creator may not have insurance or enough savings to cope properly.
Scratch "a tabletop RPG creator" and replace with "a person". This is not unique to game designers.

Also, "not getting rich" does not equal "no insurance". Plenty of people work jobs specifically to make sure they are covered by insurance, even if the pay isn't great.

Is there some special situation here I'm not seeing, something like helping old football players who suffered brain damage before those effects were realized and who didn't make more than a lot of other jobs? Or is this like the medical go fund me requests we see only this is for no specific person?

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Yeah, I don't get it either. While sure, i'd love to follow my hearts desire of running a paintball field/video and tabletop gaming store/weapons developer, I like making money and having insurance for myself and my family. If you're healthy and not paying for insurance, you're pocketing that money. Good for you! Save/Spend it well, it's yours, you've earned it! But those of us that do choose to pay to have insurance, don't have an overabundance of sympathy when the feldercarb hits the fan and good old Mr Grasshopper wants handouts. Said uninsured freelancer already got whatever portion of money I was willing to part with in exchange for whatever I bought that they were paid to work on.

Mavkatzer

Explorer
It's good to see members the RPG community come together like like this. It sometimes seems like basic empathy can be lacking in the world, and it's good to see people make an effort to help each other in need.
Thanks for your efforts!

JeffB

Legend
This is like the "rpg writers deserve a living wage" article.

I'm all for giving people a hand up when times are tough. I've helped out with donations for RPG folk a couple times (Jim Ward, Jeff Perren). But everyone makes their choices in life for a career and we all have to deal with pitfalls and merits of such. If you can't afford the necessities in life, like insurance, then perhaps a second job or change in careers is in order. My insurance sucks, but I have it.

Starving artists are not charity cases, and there are people out there who could really use some charitable contributions.

Imruphel

First Post
I can only think of the George Thorogood song: Get a haircut and get a real real job.

Choosing to create RPGs is a choice that has consequences, especially in the USA where there are so few safety nets for bad choices compared to most other countries. And a lot of the health issues that affect RPG creators are the same as those that strike a lot of the American (in particular) fan base: bad diet + negligible exercise = obesity + diabetes + poor circulation + heart disease.

Perhaps a better use of the money would be buying each of them a bicycle and a GoPro and making sure they're each clocking up 100 kms (or 60 miles) a week?

WackyAnne

First Post
Wow, not a lot of sympathy here. I guess that's why the US still hasn't gone for socialized medicine, leaving millions without the basic coverage we Canadians take for granted. I, for one, am sorry to see that. I lend support to those that I can, and appreciate that some people are taking a leap to do something they love, and are good at, rather than slaving a way at a demeaning and/or low-paying job just to get insurance.
For all of you less-than-sympathetic, know that you can frequently get _excellent_ deals while supporting the Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund (RCRF) through the bundles they run over on DriveThruRPG. That way the writers & publishers are still giving to charity, while you get to reap the benefits... For instance, there's a megabundle of Kids' RPGs for $20 (No Thank You, Evil! alone is worth that) http://www.rpgnow.com/product/183571/RCRF-Kids-RPG-BUNDLE

ddaley

Explorer
Well, in the US, people are free to contribute to these, if they want, and they are free to complain about it, if they want. I may contribute something to it.

Wow, not a lot of sympathy here. I guess that's why the US still hasn't gone for socialized medicine, leaving millions without the basic coverage we Canadians take for granted. I, for one, am sorry to see that. I lend support to those that I can, and appreciate that some people are taking a leap to do something they love, and are good at, rather than slaving a way at a demeaning and/or low-paying job just to get insurance.
For all of you less-than-sympathetic, know that you can frequently get _excellent_ deals while supporting the Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund (RCRF) through the bundles they run over on DriveThruRPG. That way the writers & publishers are still giving to charity, while you get to reap the benefits... For instance, there's a megabundle of Kids' RPGs for $20 (No Thank You, Evil! alone is worth that) http://www.rpgnow.com/product/183571/RCRF-Kids-RPG-BUNDLE

I believe in this cause and the Hero Initiative. I've enjoyed RPGs for decades and understand that many people got into this field for love and skill instead of financial reward. Giving a little something back to them when they need help after all of the fun they've provided me is an easy call. I'm glad to support this cause. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases