UA Monks Introduces the Kensai and Tranquility Traditions

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that.

I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk isn't my cup of tea. I understand others may feel differently though.

kbrakke

First Post
WotC's Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford have posted the latest Unearthed Arcana column, this time introducing the Kensai and Tranquility traditions. The Kensei trains relentlessly with their weapon to create art out of combat; the Tranquility tradition seeks peace and mercy over violence.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 19.23.38.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 19.23.38.png
    342.6 KB · Views: 10,130
Last edited by a moderator:

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Monk is my favorite class, but this was my least favorite UA. I like the idea of a kensei but I feel like it's missing that quintessential lvl 17 monk ability. Way of tranquility was pretty bland except for the level 17 ability which is amazing. I'm imagining Toki from Fist of the Northstar as a Way of Tranquility monk.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Kensai: This is fine I suppose, maybe overpowered. It's not interesting to me because there isn't narrative power to it. It's just a Monk with a weapon. As is it is better than the Open Hand.

At level 5 you can attack for 2d6+4, 1d6+4, 1d6+4, and get +2 AC all for no Ki cost. That's pretty good.

Tranquility: I like the idea but it needs more. A Monk with disarm, shove, grappling, and other non-damaging incapacitating powers would have been cool. For example, they could have a power to attempt to disarm (while taking the weapon) in the place of an attack. They could also have a power to attempt to shove an opponent as a reaction to their opponent missing them with an attack, and if successful it ends their opponent's turn (Judo inspired).

Personally I don't mind if the Monk gets a better healing pool then the Paladin. Paladins have a bunch of spells to back up their healing.

Overall I like these two variants.

Dkamanus

First Post
Kensai: This is fine I suppose, maybe overpowered. It's not interesting to me because there isn't narrative power to it. It's just a Monk with a weapon. As is it is better than the Open Hand.

At level 5 you can attack for 2d6+4, 1d6+4, 1d6+4, and get +2 AC all for no Ki cost. That's pretty good.

Tranquility: I like the idea but it needs more. A Monk with disarm, shove, grappling, and other non-damaging incapacitating powers would have been cool. For example, they could have a power to attempt to disarm (while taking the weapon) in the place of an attack. They could also have a power to attempt to shove an opponent as a reaction to their opponent missing them with an attack, and if successful it ends their opponent's turn (Judo inspired).

That is actually VERY good. Giving more incapacitating moves, dodges and heals is what would make this monk perfect.

Edit.: Re-reading the Kensei, holy :):):):), dual handed 1d10 long sword + 2 CA after the first unarmed attack.

Seems like the best UA for me, so far.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Another thing that sits weird with me is precise strike. IME playing monks (one of my favorite classes), is that you're pretty much doing a bonus action every turn. Moreso than probably any other class. So many monk abilities are tied to bonus actions.

So giving up an extra attack, dodge, or movement to get double prof on one hit that can only be used once per short/long rest? Kinda meh to me, to be honest. Hitting monsters isn't too terribly hard, so what's the math trade off between attacking twice at normal prof bonus, or attacking only once with double prof bonus?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases