New UA Paladin Sacred Oaths are Oath of Conquest and the Oath of Treachery

I'm disappointed about no Oath of Liberty, but I'll take a look at what they are bringing, when they get around to getting the page to work.

I'm disappointed about no Oath of Liberty, but I'll take a look at what they are bringing, when they get around to getting the page to work.

dagger

Adventurer
Save
The latest Unearthed Arcana (and the last of 2016 - WotC's Jeremy Crawford has confirmed that WotC will be closed over Xmas) contains two new Paladin Oaths. The Oath of Conquest is for paladins who seek glory in battle; the Oath of Treachery is for blackguards, paladins who serve only themselves. The next Unearthed Arcana will be on Monday, January 9th, 2017.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 20.37.37.png
Save

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 20.37.37.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 20.37.37.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 31,224
Last edited by a moderator:

Sacred Oaths :cool:

The page is not opening yet....but they are coming soon!

http://dnd.wizards.com/

If you scroll down you will see them both.

Not loading yet: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths

View attachment 79306

More evil-ish/creepy subclasses--between this, the bard, the cleric, the druid, and Volo's monstrous races, it sure seems like a creepy/evil AP is in the works......Still, if it is anything like Pathfinder's last evil adventure sequence that will mean more celestials for the PC's to fight, so it is a win in my book.

Valetudo

Explorer
The current pally subs are some of the most solid. Lets hope these one are able to hang. Maybe a wargod pally? Weird the second one sounds very close to the oathbreaker and very unpally like.

Mercule

Adventurer
Hmm... I wonder if Tyranny will be more of a LE anti-paladin whereas the Oathbreaker is more the traditional fallen knight. Conquest sounds LN, but I could also see it being a CE anti-paladin. Either way, neither sounds exciting for PCs, but I'll withhold judgement until I see them.

I've always had mixed feelings about the Liberty Paladin (by whatever name). Something about freedom-fighters always seems like they should be lighter-armored and more guerrilla -- like a Ranger zealot, maybe. But... there's no reason why a freedom fighter should forego the heavy armor and smiting.

Kinda like the 3rd edition CG one?

Yeah, that one, though you could easily frame any such Oath of Liberty in 5e into something that's not necessarily either Chaotic or Good.

I was really hoping for an Oath of Liberty, too. Thought that'd be a no-brainer for this. I can't imagine Tyranny being anything but an LE bent, so, meh, guess we'll see how it goes. Conquest interests me a little more, could be a more Warlord-ish Paladin?

guachi

Hero
Conquest and Treachery

Hmm... Maybe Conquest would fit with a LN type Paladin? Though maybe that was more Crown oath.

Treachery sounds like a good oath to use with NPCs, though.

Conquest sounds LE to me and treachery sounds NE (at least in terms of goals). I don't know that the oath-breaker is particularly CE (as opposed to just being E), but I suppose "you broke your oath, you must be chaotic" or something.

Edit: some more thoughts: conquest could be a more warlord paladin and treachery could be an assassin-like paladin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads