Sean's Picks of the Week (0102-0106) - Rifts, Goblins, Zikurats, Broken Moons, and Murders & Acquisi

Here we are in the first week of the year, and the cornucopia of gaming is already overflowing. Just check out the huge list of games Russ put together for the Most Anticipated Games of 2017 Poll! I've got a rather impressive handful of things for you to look at this week below, as well, ranging from seriously old-school fantasy to modern boardroom battles.

SAVAGE RIFTS: TOME OF DESTINY

In case you missed it, the last of the Savage Rifts products are out for what we called Wave I. That includes the long-awaited (and totally free) Savaging Your Favorite Rifts Ideas supplement, as well as this latest adventure written by Ross Watson. And now, time to start working on Wave II…

Take your Tomorrow Legionnaires on a journey for a fabled artifact!

This 19 page adventure by Ross Watson sends your heroes chasing after a book said to contain spells of enormous power. It’s a sure bet if the Tomorrow Legion heard about it, others did too…

Requires the Savage Worlds core rules, Rifts®: The Tomorrow Legion Player’s Guide, and Rifts®: Game Master’s Handbook to play. Rifts® and Megaverse® are Registered Trademarks of Palladium Books, Inc. All character names and likenesses are copyright and trademarks owned by Palladium Books, Inc. and used under license.

DARK HOLD GOBLIN ADVENTURES

Arguably one of the most popular ideas ever crafted for Pathfinder is the We Be Goblins franchise, wherein players are able to take on roles as members of the maniacal “lower race” and run amok. Anyone who’s been near a table at a con where someone’s running Kobolds Ate My Baby! (“All Hail King Torg!”) knows how much goofy fun folks have playing the small monster people you usually cleave through in fantasy games.

Now you’ve got your Savage Worlds version –

Fantasy games are filled with the magnificent exploits of mighty wizards, powerful warriors and god-fearing knights in armor.

Ours isn’t…

Dark Hold Goblin Adventures is dedicated to the small grovelling races which scratch out an existence in the dark catacombs through which other heroes stride like unto gods. Can you survive as one of a lost culture of Goblins living in the abandoned tombs of a long forgotten empire?

Dark Hold Goblin Adventures is a Savage Worlds compatible sourcebook allowing players and game masters to run a campaign revolving around low level goblin characters.

Inside you will find a detailed history of the Dark Hold campaign setting as well as new character classes and templates to use Goblins as player characters. There is also a short adventure to whet your whistle for the challenge of playing low level goblins in a world of high level dangers.

Are you up for it?

What’s Inside:

– A detailed history of the Dark Hold Campaign setting

– New character classes and templates to use Goblins as player characters

– New Edges

– New Creatures

– An exciting starting adventure… Goblin Faire!

– Crystal Smything

– 5 One Page adventures

…and much more!

DARK NAGA ADVENTURES: THE BURIED ZIKURAT

If you’ve not been paying attention to Fat Goblin Games, and you’re a fan of fantasy adventure stuff for just about any of the popular systems, you’re missing out on a treasure trove of stuff. Whether it’s Pathfinder, 5e, or any other iteration of the D&D, these guys are all over it. Below is the Pathfinder version, but there’s also a 5e version and a version for OSR fans.

The Buried Zikurat – An adventure for 3 to 7 characters level 6th through 8th and designed for use with most versions of the best-known fantasy roleplaying game. Optimized for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and for 5 level 7 characters.

Building upon the success of the Lost Temple of Forgotten Evil, Kevin Watson from Dark Naga Adventures brings you part 2 of the series! This can be played as part of the series or as a stand-alone adventure.

The clay mining operation at Caford has discovered a large step pyramid, or zikurat. This imposing structure was buried completely in the clay sheet they have been mining for decades to make brick and other ceramic products. The local miners see what they think is an obvious entrance, but cannot get past the slab of stone. A call for aid is sent to the capital city of Meawold, and the party is sent to investigate.

Could this be one of the Nexuses that traded goods from the subterranean Land of Night to the surface world?

Places where treasures of the subterranean kingdoms, like mithril weapons, were traded for surface goods. Bastions of trade that were lost during the fall of the First Age of Man. Why has it been dormant for almost two millennia? What lies within? Is it a threat to Caford, or the Kingdom of Meawold as a whole? If they can get inside, the party will have to navigate millennia old magic locks and security sentinels to find answers to these questions and more within The Buried Zikurat.

Featuring clever tricks and traps, and exciting new magic, all wrapped up in an elven mystery of the ages. The Buried Zikurat is sure to bring hours of enjoyment to your gaming table!

CRAWLING UNDER A BROKEN MOON 17

Back in the day, the Judges Guild was a huge part of our culture, providing one of the only outlets for creative folks to get their shared ideas for improving D&D, or providing home-crafted adventures, in front of gaming fans worldwide. They eventually grew into a very strong source of supplemental material, long before desktop publishing made it easy for everyone to do the same. Similarly, Haymaker and Adventurers Club were two early options to share and get lots of Hero System and Champions material outside of the published books.

I bring these up because (a) it’s always fun to point you folks at the important history of our hobby and our business, and (b) the days of the fanzine are far from over, as the folks at Shield of Faith Studios remind us with their Crawling Under a Broken Moon line for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Welcome to the 17th issue of Crawling Under A Broken Moon, a fanzine dedicated to bringing gonzo post apocalyptic content for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games.

This issue contains:

• The Necromancers of the Space Needle and the Land of the Reanimatronic Dead
  • NecroTech – wondrous items brought to you by cutting edge necromancy
  • The Wikinomicon – containing a pair of spells to die for
  • And a slew of new undead beasties to kill your players with

MURDERS & ACQUISITIONS

Is it “The Office” as an RPG? I am betting you could definitely go that route if you wanted to. Or someone could try Peter’s approach from “Office Space,” which could be a hoot all its own. Regardless, trade your sword for a stapler and your spells for a spreadsheet, and it’s for damn sure your interpersonal skills won’t be the “dump stat” here as you wage a war to climb the corporate ladder… or set it on fire, whatever works.

The Murders & Acquisitions Roleplaying Game puts you smack dab in the middle of a cut-throat corporation in an absurd, alternate version of our world where literally anything goes in terms of corporate advancement.

You portray an employee seeking power, prestige, and wealth…at any cost. You’ll sabotage your rivals’ pet projects, destroy them at social events, steal their secrets, or even kill them and cover it all up. In the process, you’ll rise up the ranks, make new enemies, and discover new goals.

-----

The "holiday party season" isn't quite over `round these parts, and tomorrow promises to be insane. I've a board-gaming birthday party starting in the morning. Then it's off to celebrate with Klingons during the day, and finish up with a 12th Night spectacular at some friends' place that night. I'll be making a lot of Vigor checks (or Constitution saves, if you prefer).

As Carinn is in a "Mega Mage" session on Sunday (which is to say, her regular Mage campaign, but with some extra hours thrown in), I will be seeking some other shenanigans for Sunday. Tonight, I think I'll be hammering away at the Players Guide material for my Freedom Squadron project - a Savage Worlds setting book based on the VENOM Assault board game from Spyglass Games. It's the closest thing to a full-on "G.I. Joe" RPG I think you're going to see for a while (with the proper respects to various Cartoon Action Hour playbooks and Strike Force 7 paid as similar company, but I am taking a very different approach). If you're interested in knowing more, you may want to check out my Patreon (linked below).

Here's hoping you have some great plans for the weekend, and here's also hoping your year's started out fun and fabulous!

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases