Unearthed Arcana Latest Unearthed Arcana Introduces Rogue & Ranger Archetypes

New UA (1/16/2017): Ranger and Rogue The new UA is up, you can see it here:http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf

flametitan

Explorer
The latest Unearthed Arcana from Mearls and Crawford is up. "Two classes—the ranger and the rogue—discover new playtest possibilities this week. The ranger receives two Ranger Archetype options: the Horizon Walker and the Primeval Guardian, both of which work with the Player’s Handbook ranger and the Unearthed Arcana ranger. The rogue receives one Roguish Archetype option: the Scout, which joins the other options the rogue has gained in Unearthed Arcana."

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 18.40.40.png
SaveSave

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 18.40.40.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 18.40.40.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18,186
Last edited by a moderator:

Xeviat

Hero
At a glance, I like them all. The level 11 features on the ranger are neat. I like that the rangers are getting some more spells known; I wish this would become official for all of them. The scout Rogue makes me happy.

I'll have more thoughts later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gweinel

Explorer
First thoughts:

Ranger: we have two oldies here: Horizon Walker from 3e and Warden (or Primeval Guardian) from 4e.
I really liked both subclasses without being spectacular.
I loved the planescape feeling of the Horizon Walker. It is a class that could see in my table in a plane hoping campaign. Having said that, i find the use (the flavor mostly) of the subclass quite limited in a campaign that doesn't include plane travelling. Also loved the spell selection.

I think less inspired is the Primeval Guardian. It is a known concept from 4e, which i consider it quite interesting. However, i wish it had some more colorful abilities which give better nature of the beast or the environment which the guardian wards. Again, the spell selection seems indifferent to me in comparison with the Horizon Walker's

I think the best of the three is Rogue subclass: Scout. A favorite one from the 3rd edition comes into 5th with a very well thought main ability: skirmisher. I think it gives the essence of the idea of the (3rd edition) scout perfectly. It is one of the subclasses that i would love to play. :)

They brought back the Horizon Walker, the Scout and one version of the Warden...

I really like the Horizon Walker especially how they become a blinking skirmisher at 11th level. But Planar Warrior might be problematic in that from what I remember about 2-weapon fighting it's bonus action might cancel the other out.

Primeval Guardian, I like that they thought of bring the more tree-like Warden back. It firmly makes the Ranger more of a defender/crowd control type, as opposed to leaving the Ranger as a skirmisher, like how all rangers are.

For the scout, I'm glad it's back. It's probably best if it was a Rogue. Though I feel they should have the detail that you can sneak attack a target if you move more than 5 feet like they did with the skirmish ability in 3.5e. I also like that they can sneak attack more than 1 target without having to use opportunity attacks, and that with their movement abilities they're more likely to have the opportunity to do so.

Remove ads

Remove ads