RPG Crowdfunding News 037: Folio Digital 2, How To Write Adventure Modules That Don’t Suck, The City

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

[h=3]The Folio Digital Quarterly #2 by Scott Taylor[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Monday 13th February 2017; 16:48 UTC)

I’ve always been a fan of steampunk since discovering the genre in the 80’s through both literature and RPGs (Space: 1889 I’m looking at you…). Having been involved in a number of genre projects over the years (Victoriana, Airship Pirates and Space: 1889 itself) and having a few other Victorian sci-fi/steampunk projects at various stages of waiting for me to get my act together, I always keep an eye out for what others are doing.

I’ve backed a few projects from Scott Taylor/Art of the Genre as they produce a great line of adventures and sourcematerial through their Folio series. His latest Kickstarter is for a 1E/5E compatible adventure and gazetteer set in his steampunk setting of Gun Kingdoms, part of the Nameless Realms timeline.

“With the development of The Nameless Realms in the Folio series, it has always been my hope to show further adventures in different ages of the world I’ve created over the years. A personal favorite of mine has always been The Gun Kingdoms, a world of steam and magic where technology is destroying the old ways of life through epic genocide of magical races known as The Enlightened. Over the past few years I’ve had the chance to write two novels and a couple of short stories detailing this timeline, and with The Folio Digital Quarterly #1 fans got their first taste of the setting. Now, it is my hope to be able to bring the setting to even more new plyers with The Folio Digital Quarterly #2. This all digital Folio will feature standard Folio sections like the Gazetteer and Adventure, with fantastic artwork and ship designs by David Deitrick, who helped coin the name steampunk with his work on GDW’s Space: 1889.”

[h=3]How to Write Adventure Modules That Don’t Suck by Goodman Games[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Wednesday 15th February 2017; 04:50 UTC)

This Kickstarter is actually funding the publication of two books – How To Write Adventure Modules That Don’t Suck and the Adventurer’s Alamanac.

Having published over 200 adventures over the years, Goodman Games is certainly in a place to be able to impart their wisdom to use all. Indeed they have run seminars under the campaigns title at a number of conventions, including Gen Con. Collecting a host of authors for the book, with the likes of Timothy Brown, Jean Rabe, Stephen Chenault, Lester Smith, Jim Wampler, Skip Williams, Steve Winter, James M Ward, and Anne K. Brown (to name only a few), each author has not only written an essay with adventure design advice, but also a short ‘adventure starter’ that you can use in your own game to build your own scenario.

The Adventurer’s Almanac is structured around a fantasy calendar and written like a fantasy version of the Farmer’s Almanac, it provides hundreds of adventure seeds, organized around the passing of the seasons, fantastic holidays, and the movement of the calendar.

Both books are system-neutral.

[h=3]The City of Sands for 5th Edition and Pathfinder! By 2CGaming[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Wednesday 1st March 2017; 07:59 UTC)

2CGaming have launched the second part of Jon Kelly and Steven Gordon’s Fate of the Forebears Adventure Path with City of Sands. Domes of Ishaq-Zahur, the first module in the six module series, launched the Adventure Path starting with 5th level characters. The series should take characters up to 17th level and will be available for both Pathfinder and 5th Edition.

The City of Sands adventure module starts where the Domes of Ishaq-Zahur leaves off, sending a party of heroes from the peril of the desert tombs to the streets of the sandy metropolis, Archensheeen. There the players will find themselves caught in the middle of a fierce struggle for political power and ancient artifacts as factions from all across the city vie for control of relics from the Nartheneen’s glory days. Choosing a side may make more enemies than it does friends, but can the heroes survive if they choose to stand alone?

Featuring an easy-to-use faction system, the City of Sands will make Archensheen come alive before your players, as powers, both public and private, react to their actions. You’ll also find investigation rules that force your players to decide how they allocate their time and resources, focusing on reliable methods or taking high risks for high rewards as they try to sift truth from lies. Both systems have been built from the ground up for this module, designed to be easy to use and just as much fun for the Dungeon master as they are for the players.

This 80+ page adventure supports both the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, and will take a party of 7th level characters in either system to 9th level over 10 to 12 sessions of ply. It is intended to be run following the previous module, the Domes of Ishq-Zahur, but the city of Archensheen and the factions therein can be dropped into your existing game with minimal effort.

[h=3]Pathogen: Unclassified a roleplaying game (RPG) by The Polyhedral Knights[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Thursday 16th February 2017; 21:30 UTC)

Set three years after a global parasitic outbreak, Pathogen: Unclassified is an apocalyptic survival horror role playing game.

The outbreak “struck fast and without mercy. Over time, the uninfected survivors (approximately 9% of the world population) realized not all the infected were the same. They were still alive, but the parasite is in control of the host’s body.

Many believe the GMO food producer and major pharmaceutical corporation, Gaia Life Solutions, was behind the outbreak. At the start of the catastrophy, Gaia seemed already prepared with a highly skilled armed forces in place to shore up various centers offering a safe haven to the desperate compliant survivors.

Most people are a bit hesitant to join the centers, because of the stories that have emerged from behind the walls of Gaia’s reclamation centers. Whispers of survivors working to the bone for basic necessities and protection Outside the walls Gaia troops and scientists are seen doing undisclosed “research” for an unknown purpose. Also, if you do not comply, or have been deemed a trouble maker, disappearances are noticeable.”

[h=3]Untitled: Make Your Own Legend by Sam Smith[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Monday 20th February 2017; 04:59 UTC)

Welcome, traveller!

For the worldbuilders and storytellers out there, here you will find a system that shows you how to quickly draw a fantasy world complete with geography, factions, settlements, evolving plots, spells, markets, NPCs, dynamic changes, and more. All you need is a piece of paper and a handful of dice. You can use those tools for any game or book that you’d like.

For the explorers, here also is a brand-new old-school pen-and-paper role-playing game that you can use to explore your world.

Why is it called Untitled? Instead of levelling up, you gain titles! Want to be Sarah, Slayer of Sandworms? Ben, Breaker of Bonds? Look no further!

In addition to the classic Fantasy version the campaign is also offering six new world generators to stretch backers such as Arthurian, Gothic, modern-punk worlds, and Twin Suns, a comprehensive sci-fi adaptation.

Untitled is about 70 pages long and gives you everything you need to start creating worlds and adventures so you can start exploring!

[h=3]Miniature RPG Terrain Wood Furniture by Andy “Cosmo-Joe” Watkins[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Sunday 5th March 2017; 17:27 UTC)

After seeing the pictures I have to agree that real wood furniture for gaming really does stand out and look very nice. Each piece is laser etched, and assembled, by Studio 6d6.

“The beauty is in the details. Laser etching gives us the details and laser cutting gives us a perfect fit every time. The end result is a really great looking product. Details like laser-etched keys on the piano or the drawers on the desk combine with the natural beauty of the wood to create a finished piece ready for your game table.”

There are four tiers of sets available. Small Sets (Small Bar, Small Room, or Small Office) which contain 3 or 4 pieces (The Small Bar includes a Bar, 2 stools and a Barback Shelves for instance), Featured Sets (The Tavern, The Inn, The Study, The Café or The Suite), Complete Sets (The Complete Tavern, The Complete Inn, The Complete Library, or The Luxury Suite) and The Master Sets )The Grand Hall or “One of Each”).

These are really worth checking out if you enjoy adding scenery to your games

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps Thanks!

If you have a forthcoming Kickstarter, or see one that excites you, please feel free to drop me an email on angus.abranson@gmail.com You can follow me on Twitter @ Angus_A or on Facebook where I often post about gaming.

Until next week, have fun and happy gaming!

Angus Abranson

ddaley

Explorer
I am already in for City of Sands and plan to back the Goodman Games project. Hadn't seen the furniture kickstarter... will have to think about that one.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
I am already in for City of Sands and plan to back the Goodman Games project. Hadn't seen the furniture kickstarter... will have to think about that one.

Did you get the first part of their adventure path? Care to share your impressions of it?

ddaley

Explorer
I did back the first one, Domes of Ishaq-Zahur. I haven't had a chance to read through much of it yet. From what I have read, it seems promising. There is quite a bit of content (the main PDF is 84 pages). However, one thing I noticed right away is that it doesn't have enough information about the starting city, Archensheen, for my tastes. There is no map of the city for instance and little detail about it. The sequel promises to have extensive information about Archensheen. If you check the kickstart page for the sequel, he has posted a map of the city already.

There seem to be maps and sufficient content for the other areas of the module. I think the intention is that the characters don't spend much time in the city. They have a meeting with someone, of which there is ample information, and then should be off on their journey. But, if Archensheen is a home base, I want more information about it... I am backing the 2nd kickstarter to get that information.

Did you get the first part of their adventure path? Care to share your impressions of it?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases