Loren Wiseman RIP
  • James Bond And The Espionage Role-Playing Game

Today's column was going to be a different thing. I had planned another look at some super-hero role-playing games, continuing what I had talked about over the last few weeks, but when I awoke to news that British actor Roger Moore had passed away I decided on a change of topics....

Read More

When D&D Campaigns Become Franchises

We've previously discussed how the seeds of a failed Dungeons & Dragons campaign was the inspiration for several video game franchises like Doom and Quake, but there's another D&D campaign that is more popular than both of them...

Read More

Turn Order: Warped Episode 19: I Swear It Was...

Turn Order: Warped, the official stream of the WOIN roleplaying game system, is back with a new episode! "Felix deals with the aftermath of drinking something he shouldn't have and the crew tries to find him." Join GM of Doom "wacksteven" and the crew of the Black Fang in their intrepid science-fiction adventures! As always,...

Read More
  • Loren Wiseman RIP

Family and industry friends are reporting that seminal game designer Loren Wiseman has passed away. The exact cause of death is not yet known, but he has had long term health issues.

Wiseman co-founded Game Designers' Workshop with Frank Chadwick, Rich Banner, and Marc Miller in 1973, and co-designed Traveller with Marc Miller and others. After GDW closed in the mid-90s, Wiseman joined Steve Jackson Games and ended up developing and writing the GURPS edition of Traveller for them. He was the "Traveller Guru" for Steve Jackson Games until the GURPS Traveller line was discontinued in 2015.

In 2003 Wiseman was inducted into the Origins Hall of Fame.
    Comments 13 Comments
      darjr -
      RIP. Sad day.
      EltonJ -
      Yes, it is a sad day.
      JeffB -
      RIP.

Another RPG fore-father gone. Owned many a GDW book with his name on it.
      Water Bob -
      Loved his work. Still love Traveller.

AD&D was my first introduction to roleplaying. Traveller, my second. I still have my original Starter Traveller set.

Sad day, indeed.
      billd91 -
      Traveller may not have been the first RPG I played (that was the Holmes edition D&D) but it was the first one I bought.
      madrivi -
      One of my first non-D&D books, loved the detail.

RIP.
      HighlanderFrodie -
      Rest in Peace
      emssmiley2002 -
      Man hate to hear this. Loved Twilight 2000, still play it today.
      Ragnar_Deerslayer -
      I worked the SJGames booth with him at DragonCon back around 2000. I had some good conversations with him. RIP.
      Caliburn101 -
      GDW were great back in the day - sad to see him go so early...
      Vymair -
      I played a lot of Traveller, it was the first sci-fi RPG I ever played. I haven't played it in years, but always appreciated the IP. RIP.
      Narl -
      Ad Astra, Mr. Wiseman.
      nightwind1 -
      A 21 FGMP-15 salute to Loren...
    Comments Leave Comment