"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers
  • D&D's Lead Slightly Increases On Roll20 &...

Industry stats are a bit like buses - you wait ages for one, and then two come along at once. I covered Fantasy Grounds' latest stats a few days ago, and now Roll20 has weighed in. The two data sets usually line up reasonably well at the top end (taking players as the metric,...

Read More

Warhammer FRPG 2nd Edition Books return to PDF...

Cubicle 7 Entertainment have just made available the range of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition PDFs through Drivethrurpg and...

Read More

Tactics And Combat In Fantasy RPGs

Think of the old days of FRPGs when parties bumbled into encounters, opening doors without preparation or scouting. Think of how few parties actually took prisoners in order to gather information! And how few parties ran away occasionally rather than engage in a fight that had nothing to do with their mission and might get them killed. And...

Read More

Sean's Picks of the Week (0717-0721) - ENnie...

With the ENnie Awards coming up at Gen Con soon, and voting fully underway, I thought another look at the various nominations was in order. So, once again, I've chosen to delve into certain categories and pick something to highlight while...

Read More
  • "Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
    Wizards RPG Team
    FRONTLIST
    On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
    9780786966103, 0786966106
    Hardcover
    $49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
    Wizards RPG Team
    FRONTLIST
    On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
    9780786966110, 0786966114
    Hardcover
    $49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

SaveSave
    SaveSaveSaveSave
    Comments 278 Comments
      Satyrn -
      Well, Dust is obviously a Dark Sun adventure (but set in Zakhara!). I mean, they need to use that psionics stuff somewhere, right?

And Midway is most likely a pirate adventure set along the Sword Coast. Arrrr!
      Ralif Redhammer -
      I was wrong about Labyrinth, but Dust brings Dark Sun to mind. Midway is a circus or exhibition…could that be the “major rules expansion?”
      robus -
      OK - that's interesting!

My guesses

Dust: A new adventure? Fey as is in faerie dust? Or Dark Sun as in dusty desert?

Midway: the rules update. 5.5 is midway between 5 & 6 (though would they really pondering a 6th edition already?! - if it ain't broke don't fix it!)

Edit: had dust on the brain!
      mankyle -
      Mmmm

"Labyrinth" name was related to Dungeons.
      Dust could be related to sand?, desert? Maybe Darksun 5e with the Psionic rules? A new adventure set in the Anauroch or Zakhara? The lattest is less probable. I say this will be a Darksun adventure

Midway is obviously the next lore book.
      Satyrn -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      Midway: the rules update. 5.5 is midway between 5 & 6 (though would they really pondering a 6th edition already?! - if it ain't broke don't fix it!)
      That would be a horrible message if you wind up right about this.
      Zaukrie -
      Dust to dust. Undead adventure. Well, I really think desert, but wanted to be different

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Warmaster Horus -
      I'm going with Dust = Undermountain and Midway = Rules Expansion.
      JeffB -
      Dust will be a return to the Desert of Desolation or Dark Sun

Midway- "phb2"..halfway point to the next edition.
      GarrettKP -
      My guesses?

Dust: Undermountain and the Return of Halaster Blackcloak! DUSTing off a classic villain and adventure.

Midway: Unearthed Arcana (Hardcover) with new player options and some DM options (traps, mass combat rules, etc.)
      Kramodlog -
      Dust = Dark Sun AP.

Midway = Way of the Mind. Psionic rules for the Dark Sun AP.
      Mortellan -
      Agreed with everyone that Dust does seem obviously Darksun. Too easy to be true.

Midway though. I think a good interpretation of that could be Sigil which is at the midway point of all things in the Planescape setting.
    1. Tony Vargas -
      My guess would also have to be the probably-too-obvious Dark Sun AP ('Dust' Athas is an arid world and has a feature called the Sea of Dust, doesn't it?; 'Midway' could be a WWII reference, so a very significant-to-the-world AP, maybe the overthrow of a Sorcerer King?)
      Mortellan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
      ('Dust' Athas is an arid world and has a feature called the Sea of Dust, doesn't it?
      I don't know DS but I do know Greyhawk and that's probably the Sea of Dust you're thinking. I won't get my hopes up there though!
      Osgood -
      Dark Sun seems likely for Dust, but (and this is probably wishful thinking) it could relate to Eberron's Lords of Dust. Hopefully Midway doesn't mean they feel they are half way to 6E... perhaps something circus-themed?
    1. Reynard -
      So far the September book has been an adventure and the November book has been a supplement. I am going to go out on a limb and say Dust is going to be an AP that has a travel/road/caravan element, possibly through the desert (does The Forgotten Realms have a Silk Road equivalent?) And maybe that means Midway is another part of the Realms outside the Sword Coast.
      renevq -
      Lords of dust?
      Prakriti -
      Keeping in mind that code-names are usually meaningless...

"Dust" could refer to the Lords of Dust of Eberron or the Dustmen of Planescape, but that seems unlikely. Unless the Ring of Winter appears in Yawning Portal, then we know that this will be a Forgotten Realms adventure (as promised in Storm King's Thunder).

"Midway" sounds like a code-name for the mechanical expansion, which usually comes in the middle of the edition cycle.
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
      My guess would also have to be the probably-too-obvious Dark Sun AP ('Dust' Athas is an arid world and has a feature called the Sea of Dust, doesn't it?; 'Midway' could be a WWII reference, so a very significant-to-the-world AP, maybe the overthrow of a Sorcerer King?)
      I think there's absolutely no chance that they would announce 2 adventures one right after another... is there?!
      Ralif Redhammer -
      Would absolutely love a Planescape setting/Manual of the Planes. One can only dream of the corresponding extraplanar Adventurers League season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortellan View Post
      Midway though. I think a good interpretation of that could be Sigil which is at the midway point of all things in the Planescape setting.
      spiggs18 -
      Dark Sun would be awesome, but I doubt that WOTC would change there direction now. It's Forgotten Realms with about a page worth of information on how to convert the adventure to other settings LOL.
    Comments Leave Comment