Take A Peek At The Sunless Citadel From Tales of the Yawning Portal
  • Gale Force 9 Comments On Brazil Translatorgate

    In the wake of Brazil Tanslatorgate, Dungeons & Dragons licensee Gale Force Nine has made a statement regarding the dispute between Fire on Board and FMR about the rights to translate D&D 5th Edition into Portuguese for he Brazilian audience. They have put translation plans...

    Read More

    Sean's Picks of the Week (0320-0324) - Adventures...

    It started out as an accident, as many of my Theme Weeks often do. I just noticed I was focused on adventure-related Picks about halfway through, so there you go! Of particular excitement was the discovery that DriveThruRPG is now carrying back-issues of the Paizo-run of both Dragon and Dungeon magazines; I believe I can claim to have broke that particular piece of news, as a matter...

    Read More

    Lankhmar Box Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics!

    Goodman Games have launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Lankhmar Boxed Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics. The set, due for release in August 2018 if successfully funded, will explore the fantastic swords & sorcery world of Nehwon...

    Read More

    Behold The STARFINDER Core Rulebook Cover!

    Last night, Paizo revealed the final cover for its upcoming Starfinder Core Rulebook! Starfinder, based on the Pathfinder rules, is due for release this August. A 582-page book, with a cover illustration by Remko Troost. Save[FONT=Helvetica...

    Read More

    Finally In Softcover - [WOIN] Universal Upgrades

    This book of advanced character options for those playing N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game is now available in softcover. "This essential manual for sci-fi themed...

    Read More
  • Take A Peek At The Sunless Citadel From Tales of the Yawning Portal


    Tales of the Yawning Portal is imminent, and the preview machine has started to gear up. Below, you can see two pages from The Sunless Citadel (a 3E adventure by Monte Cook Games' Bruce Cordell) as it appears in this upcoming 5th Edition conversion. The Sunless Citadel was a 32-page adventure which was buried underground, corrupted by a magic tree. The original was voted the 2nd best 3e adventure.

    Also available as a PDF from Dragon+ is a two-page excerpt from Tomb of Horrors.






    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Tales Sunless Citadel first two pages on WoTC site. started by darjr View original post
    Comments 26 Comments
    1. darjr's Avatar
      darjr -
      Oh. It's on the main product page.

      http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabl...yawning-portal
    1. pukunui's Avatar
      pukunui -
      Another preview! Nice.

      EDIT: The opening paragraphs are lifted (and revised) from the original, by the looks of it.
    1. Gradine's Avatar
      Gradine -
      Interesting to see Forgotten Realms in the setting sidebar... it's looking like this doesn't have any kind of assumed setting behind it at all.
    1. Bigsta's Avatar
      Bigsta -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gradine View Post
      Interesting to see Forgotten Realms in the setting sidebar... it's looking like this doesn't have any kind of assumed setting behind it at all.
      Also no mention of Dark Sun/Athas. I'm assuming this will be the case for all of the adventures in the book as it will be hard to put these old adventure in Dark Sun.

      This is giving me great hope that "Dust" is, in fact, a Dark Sun adventure path. The logic being that Dark Sun fans "miss out" in this release.
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by darjr View Post
      http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...CIntro0313.pdf

      First two pages of the Sunless Citadel from Tales.

      Sorry for the direct PDF link. I'll post the hosting page if I can find it.
      Don't be.

      Thanks

      Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bigsta View Post
      The logic being that Dark Sun fans "miss out" in this release.
      Nobody "misses out" from three lines of text. If three lines of text is all takes to include you, branding really has destroyed creativity. Nobody should pick up a 300-page book, and value it only if a brand is mentioned in it.
    1. Gehrigan's Avatar
      Gehrigan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bigsta View Post
      Also no mention of Dark Sun/Athas. I'm assuming this will be the case for all of the adventures in the book as it will be hard to put these old adventure in Dark Sun.

      This is giving me great hope that "Dust" is, in fact, a Dark Sun adventure path. The logic being that Dark Sun fans "miss out" in this release.
      That is some excellent deductive reasoning! Didn't even think about "Dark Sun" when I saw the codename DUST. My fingers and toes are crossed that this is true.
    1. Ath-kethin's Avatar
      Ath-kethin -
      Sigh. And the crap editing continues.

      Second page, second line down in the right column: there is a closed parentheses symbol but no open parentheses symbol before it.

      Out of the seven total pages available as previews (of which I am aware anyway), four contain such errors. That's a pretty atrocious proportion, and it's getting worse with each new sample.
    1. Sacrosanct's Avatar
      Sacrosanct -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ath-kethin View Post
      Sigh. And the crap editing continues.

      Second page, second line down in the right column: there is a closed parentheses symbol but no open parentheses symbol before it.

      Out of the seven total pages available as previews (of which I am aware anyway), four contain such errors. That's a pretty atrocious proportion, and it's getting worse with each new sample.
      Eh, that's all minor stuff. Then again, I grew up on early 80s AD&D, so I'm not a huge stickler on perfect editing lol.
    1. Jester David's Avatar
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
      Eh, that's all minor stuff. Then again, I grew up on early 80s AD&D, so I'm not a huge stickler on perfect editing lol.
      No kidding. After "dawizard" everything else just feels like a nitpick.
    1. Scrivener of Doom's Avatar
      Scrivener of Doom -
      The FR description is really bland. I always thought the tree was perfect as something relating to a cult of Moander. Now that would actually feel Realmsish....

      Quote Originally Posted by Ath-kethin View Post
      Sigh. And the crap editing continues.

      Second page, second line down in the right column: there is a closed parentheses symbol but no open parentheses symbol before it.

      Out of the seven total pages available as previews (of which I am aware anyway), four contain such errors. That's a pretty atrocious proportion, and it's getting worse with each new sample.
      I'm wondering how long before WotC works out the difference between parley and parlay....
    1. Ath-kethin's Avatar
      Ath-kethin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
      Eh, that's all minor stuff. Then again, I grew up on early 80s AD&D, so I'm not a huge stickler on perfect editing lol.
      "But they used to be so much worse" isn't a great quality control standard.

      I remember 2e products (particularly toward the end) that were nigh unreadable due to errors. In my opinion, that doesn't excuse such a ridiculously high rate of errors now.

      Seriously, these pages wouldn't have made it out of 6th Grade English without being marked up. It blows my mind that they made it past a professional editor.
    1. jasper's Avatar
      jasper -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ath-kethin View Post
      Sigh. And the crap editing continues.

      Second page, second line down in the right column: there is a closed parentheses symbol but no open parentheses symbol before it.

      Out of the seven total pages available as previews (of which I am aware anyway), four contain such errors. That's a pretty atrocious proportion, and it's getting worse with each new sample.
      Here we see the Grammar Kitten in attack.
      Grammar Kitten
      Frequency: Uncommon
      No. Appearing 1-100
      Armor Class: 6
      Move: 6”
      % in liar 95%

      Next on Jasper's wild kingdom we my assistant Morris get inside a mimic's mouth.
    1. Sacrosanct's Avatar
      Sacrosanct -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ath-kethin View Post
      "But they used to be so much worse" isn't a great quality control standard.

      I remember 2e products (particularly toward the end) that were nigh unreadable due to errors. In my opinion, that doesn't excuse such a ridiculously high rate of errors now.

      Seriously, these pages wouldn't have made it out of 6th Grade English without being marked up. It blows my mind that they made it past a professional editor.
      I guess it's all about perspective and experience. If you're used to your TV always coming in clear with never having any issues, then when it glitches you'll probably be irritated right away. However, if you grew up having to go outside and move the antennae every couple hours, then a minor glitch isn't really noticeable, or if it is, no big deal. In no way am I saying that it should have errors, only that the errors I've seen, don't bother me personally all that much.
    1. Jer's Avatar
      Jer -
      I'm struck by how in the "placing the adventure" sidebar some of the disasters that buried the Citadel seem so ... recent. Depending on the ages of the PCs the Eberron and FR disasters might be within living memory of the PCs. I always played the Citadel as something from a fairly distant past not something that might have been around as recently as a century ago. The Greyhawk callback to the Invoked Devastation is closer to the way I tend to run it (IIRC that's about a thousand years in Greyhawk's past, right?)
    1. Matrix Sorcica's Avatar
      Matrix Sorcica -
      Well, Gulthias was staked in the Citadel if I remember my Ashardalon adventure path lore correctly. It's my impression (also from Heart of Nightfang Spire) that this was fairly recently (i.e. within the last hundred years or so). Also, the Ashen Plain resulting from Ashardalon's rage seems sorta recent as well. If it happened a thousand years ago, no one would remember what the site was called before ol' Ashy went nuts.
      All of the above may be subject to fact checking.
    1. Gradine's Avatar
      Gradine -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
      I'm struck by how in the "placing the adventure" sidebar some of the disasters that buried the Citadel seem so ... recent. Depending on the ages of the PCs the Eberron and FR disasters might be within living memory of the PCs. I always played the Citadel as something from a fairly distant past not something that might have been around as recently as a century ago. The Greyhawk callback to the Invoked Devastation is closer to the way I tend to run it (IIRC that's about a thousand years in Greyhawk's past, right?)
      I mean, the Day of Mourning was only four years prior to the start of a typical Eberron campaign, though it at least makes a point that the ruins were considered ancient before then, but that would still make the grove fairly well accessible (especially if Cyran scouts are using them).

      I'm not super familiar with the lore of Sunless Citadel but from the sounds of it I'd probably sink the thing much earlier if I were running it in Eberron.
    1. Oryzarius's Avatar
      Oryzarius -
      From the article: "The Sunless Citadel was a 32-page adventure which was buried underground, corrupted by a magic tree."

      Wow. Was the product such a bad design that they had to dispose of it so extremely?

      :-)
    1. pogre's Avatar
      pogre -
      Does anyone know if the new Tomb of Horrors has anything like the old picture book that came with the original?
    1. Toriel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oryzarius View Post
      From the article: "The Sunless Citadel was a 32-page adventure which was buried underground, corrupted by a magic tree."

      Wow. Was the product such a bad design that they had to dispose of it so extremely?

      :-)
      I also think it was the toxicity of the adventure that corrupted the magic tree. Not the other way around.
    Comments Leave Comment