A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer
  • News Digest: The Lady of Pain Returns to Alpha...

    Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! We finally know what the PlanEscape website is all about, Goodman Games is bringing us In Search of the Unknown at the Keep on the Borderlands, Friend Computer might be upset if you don't find out about a new pre-order available, RuneQuest gets a new line developer, and more! ...

    Read More

    Preview The ALCHEMIST Class From A TOUCH OF CLASS...

    A Touch of Class, the new 70-page full-color softcover class book for 5E, introduces seven new classes to your 5th Edition games, along with a range of associated subclasses, feats, spells, items, backgrounds, and more. The Kickstarter launches next week, on Monday, 3rd April. Here's a quick preview of a couple of pages of the Alchemist, one of the 7 classes featured (the others are...

    Read More
  • A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer


    Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.





    • Alpha testing is finished.
    • Beta testing emails go out "very soon".
    • The software has table with colour codes (see images above and below) to make it easy to tell where you are.
    • Adam has played D&D for 20 years.
    • Additional features later will include "encounter builder, combat/ initiative tracker, dice rolling and automation, stream integration, and much more".
    • There will be easy ways to filter content - for example "Want to see every spell that requires a Charisma saving throw in the game? Or every healing spell? Every spell that does force damage?"
    • Their license does not restrict them on delivery mechanisms. They "are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns". A few days ago, WotC's Greg Tito confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"
    • You an read the full interview here.



    Comments 129 Comments
    1. rjhodge's Avatar
      rjhodge -
      This all sounds great, and I know it has been said before but pricing is going to be the key to this. I already own 2 copies of the players hand book and a copy of every other 5E book released. Plus copies of all those on FantasyGrounds as well. So if they can come up with a solution to not gouge the crap out of us it would be great.

      Also I know they mention homebrew support but what about 3PP support or is that just going to have to be a homebrew import of some kind?
    1. Elfcrusher's Avatar
      Elfcrusher -
      I have to say I'm disappointed in the UX. It's just...a bunch of fields. It's like they used Rails to generate the UI then slapped on some CSS.

      Sure, sure...you can ignore most of them and only type in the boxes you care about. And yet, that's the sort of thinking that led to your typical TV remote control.

      I've been using the Grimoire and so far haven't ever wished for any additional features.
    1. fjw70's Avatar
      fjw70 -
      I am looking forward to the compendium. I will use the CB but that isn't a big deal for me.

      Really hope we can get electronic versions of adventures at some point.
    1. rjhodge's Avatar
      rjhodge -
      Another odd question. I DM a group of youth once or twice a month. Will there be a way to push content I have bought for them to use? I know fantasy grounds allows this when people are connected to my game and while I know that this is not a VTT I can see the usefulness of allowing the DM to share content he has purchased. I mean heck if we are being honest with ourselves the DM's are the ones who buy everything anyways (books, snacks, pencils, dice, paper, and the list goes on.)
    1. monsterworkbench's Avatar
      monsterworkbench -
      The real question is price. Will we have a monthly fee? Have to re-buy every book again digitally? While this looks better then the free apps out there, price is going to be a huge factor. We shall see.
    1. GarrettKP's Avatar
      GarrettKP -
      Beta begins this Monday according to D&D Beyond's twitter account!
    1. DnDBeyond's Avatar
      DnDBeyond -
      Yeah, the first phase of beta starts Monday.

      The beta will roll out in three major phases - we want to get focused use and feedback on each core feature. The first will include the Compendium with basic rules content and the three Listings (Spells, Magic Items, Monsters), as well as opening the Forums.

      The second and third phases will introduce the Character Builder and Sheet, Homebrew, and the first pass of Campaign Management. We will push those live in the next several weeks ramping up to launch.

      Hope to see you all there on Monday!
    1. Brian Smith's Avatar
      Brian Smith -
      Quote Originally Posted by Elfcrusher View Post
      I have to say I'm disappointed in the UX. It's just...a bunch of fields. It's like they used Rails to generate the UI then slapped on some CSS.

      Sure, sure...you can ignore most of them and only type in the boxes you care about. And yet, that's the sort of thinking that led to your typical TV remote control.

      I've been using the Grimoire and so far haven't ever wished for any additional features.
      There is a "Collapse Filters" button which I assume hides everything but the first row.
    1. DnDBeyond's Avatar
      DnDBeyond -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
      There is a "Collapse Filters" button which I assume hides everything but the first row.
      You gain Inspiration!
    1. GarrettKP's Avatar
      GarrettKP -
      Quote Originally Posted by DnDBeyond View Post
      Yeah, the first phase of beta starts Monday.

      The beta will roll out in three major phases - we want to get focused use and feedback on each core feature. The first will include the Compendium with basic rules content and the three Listings (Spells, Magic Items, Monsters), as well as opening the Forums.

      The second and third phases will introduce the Character Builder and Sheet, Homebrew, and the first pass of Campaign Management. We will push those live in the next several weeks ramping up to launch.

      Hope to see you all there on Monday!
      When phase 2 comes out does phase 1 go away? Or will we keep the compendiums when the second phase drops?
    1. darjr's Avatar
      darjr -
      Yes please please add offline support.
    1. mflayermonk -
      Will there be a way for me to develop homebrew content and then easily share with other users of the Curse app?
      For example, I want to share a gazetteer of my homebrew world of mfonkia, could my players with the Curse app easily download and install my file?
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by rjhodge View Post
      This all sounds great, and I know it has been said before but pricing is going to be the key to this.
      Quote Originally Posted by monsterworkbench View Post
      The real question is price.
      The real question is will the client be stand-alone, or will it shrivel up and die once WotC turns their attention elsewhere and shuts off the servers?
    1. DnDBeyond's Avatar
      DnDBeyond -
      Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKP View Post
      When phase 2 comes out does phase 1 go away? Or will we keep the compendiums when the second phase drops?
      The phases are progressive - you will keep everything from phase one all the way through launch.

    1. variant's Avatar
      variant -
      The problem I have with these various digital tools is that they charge full book price for the content. It's digital, the cost should reflect that. Plus, you should be allowed to add your own content so that people who already own the books can just add it.
    1. Corpsetaker's Avatar
      Corpsetaker -
      It's amazing how Wizards really tries to get D&D involved in the digital age and yet they still will not do the most basic thing such as release their books in PDF at a lower price like Paizo.
    1. Brian Smith's Avatar
      Brian Smith -
      Why is there no info on the pricing yet.

      Can you at least give us a clue of the pricing model? One time purchase plus add-ons? Monthly subscription? 1 per group, or 1 per player?

      Why do companies hide the pricing, but show off everything else? You're gonna have to tell me the price before I buy it. You're going to include lots of people in beta testing the product to see if it works like we want. Why is our opinion on the product valuable but our opinion on the pricing not wanted until its too late?
    1. Corpsetaker's Avatar
      Corpsetaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
      Why is there no info on the pricing yet.

      Can you at least give us a clue of the pricing model? One time purchase plus add-ons? Monthly subscription? 1 per group, or 1 per player?
      I'd say we won't see anything on price until right before it goes live.
    1. Brian Smith's Avatar
      Brian Smith -
      Quote Originally Posted by Corpsetaker View Post
      I'd say we won't see anything on price until right before it goes live.
      Why do they do that?
    1. Quickleaf's Avatar
      Quickleaf -
      Quote Originally Posted by DnDBeyond View Post
      Yeah, the first phase of beta starts Monday.

      The beta will roll out in three major phases - we want to get focused use and feedback on each core feature. The first will include the Compendium with basic rules content and the three Listings (Spells, Magic Items, Monsters), as well as opening the Forums.

      The second and third phases will introduce the Character Builder and Sheet, Homebrew, and the first pass of Campaign Management. We will push those live in the next several weeks ramping up to launch.

      Hope to see you all there on Monday!
      Good luck to you guys!

      I've signed up for the Beta and passing the news onto my friends.

      Hope you can escape the negative gravity of past attempts at implementing this sort of digital suite for D&D.
    Comments Leave Comment