A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

dnd-beyond-monsters.png

• Alpha testing is finished.
  • Beta testing emails go out "very soon".
  • The software has table with colour codes (see images above and below) to make it easy to tell where you are.
  • Adam has played D&D for 20 years.
  • Additional features later will include "encounter builder, combat/ initiative tracker, dice rolling and automation, stream integration, and much more".
  • There will be easy ways to filter content - for example "Want to see every spell that requires a Charisma saving throw in the game? Or every healing spell? Every spell that does force damage?"
  • Their license does not restrict them on delivery mechanisms. They "are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns". A few days ago, WotC's Greg Tito confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"
  • You an read the full interview here.

dnd-beyond-spells.png

rjhodge

First Post
This all sounds great, and I know it has been said before but pricing is going to be the key to this. I already own 2 copies of the players hand book and a copy of every other 5E book released. Plus copies of all those on FantasyGrounds as well. So if they can come up with a solution to not gouge the crap out of us it would be great.

Also I know they mention homebrew support but what about 3PP support or is that just going to have to be a homebrew import of some kind?

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

I have to say I'm disappointed in the UX. It's just...a bunch of fields. It's like they used Rails to generate the UI then slapped on some CSS.

Sure, sure...you can ignore most of them and only type in the boxes you care about. And yet, that's the sort of thinking that led to your typical TV remote control.

I've been using the Grimoire and so far haven't ever wished for any additional features.

fjw70

Adventurer
I am looking forward to the compendium. I will use the CB but that isn't a big deal for me.

Really hope we can get electronic versions of adventures at some point.

rjhodge

First Post
Another odd question. I DM a group of youth once or twice a month. Will there be a way to push content I have bought for them to use? I know fantasy grounds allows this when people are connected to my game and while I know that this is not a VTT I can see the usefulness of allowing the DM to share content he has purchased. I mean heck if we are being honest with ourselves the DM's are the ones who buy everything anyways (books, snacks, pencils, dice, paper, and the list goes on.)

The real question is price. Will we have a monthly fee? Have to re-buy every book again digitally? While this looks better then the free apps out there, price is going to be a huge factor. We shall see.

DnDBeyond

First Post
Yeah, the first phase of beta starts Monday.

The beta will roll out in three major phases - we want to get focused use and feedback on each core feature. The first will include the Compendium with basic rules content and the three Listings (Spells, Magic Items, Monsters), as well as opening the Forums.

The second and third phases will introduce the Character Builder and Sheet, Homebrew, and the first pass of Campaign Management. We will push those live in the next several weeks ramping up to launch.

Hope to see you all there on Monday!

Brian Smith

First Post
I have to say I'm disappointed in the UX. It's just...a bunch of fields. It's like they used Rails to generate the UI then slapped on some CSS.

Sure, sure...you can ignore most of them and only type in the boxes you care about. And yet, that's the sort of thinking that led to your typical TV remote control.

I've been using the Grimoire and so far haven't ever wished for any additional features.

There is a "Collapse Filters" button which I assume hides everything but the first row.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases