D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!
  • Gale Force 9 Comments On Brazil Translatorgate

In the wake of Brazil Tanslatorgate, Dungeons & Dragons licensee Gale Force Nine has made a statement regarding the dispute between Fire on Board and FMR about the rights to translate D&D 5th Edition into Portuguese for he Brazilian audience. They have put translation plans...

Read More

Lankhmar Box Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics!

Goodman Games have launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Lankhmar Boxed Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics. The set, due for release in August 2018 if successfully funded, will explore the fantastic swords & sorcery world of Nehwon...

Read More

WotC & Goodman Games Partner To Reprint...

At Gary Con, Goodman Games and WotC announced a partnership, as reported by Brett B over on Google+. They'll be reprinting classic modules, including B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands in a hardcover with both the original adventures and 5th Edition information. More information if and when...

Read More

Finally In Softcover - [WOIN] Universal Upgrades

This book of advanced character options for those playing N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game is now available in softcover. "This essential manual for sci-fi themed...

Read More

Behold The STARFINDER Core Rulebook Cover!

Last night, Paizo revealed the final cover for its upcoming Starfinder Core Rulebook! Starfinder, based on the Pathfinder rules, is due for release this August. A 582-page book, with a cover illustration by Remko Troost. Save[FONT=Helvetica...

Read More
  • D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

The D&D Beyond beta is now officially live! Head on over, give it a whirl, and post your thoughts right here! What do you think? How did you get on? What are your initial first thoughts? The first phase contains the Compendium and Listings (the character builder is Phase 2, not open yet, with Phase 3 being campaign management and home-brew content). You will need a Twitch account to participate (Curse, the developer of D&D Beyond, is owned by Twitch).

SaveSave
    SaveSave
    This article was originally published in forum thread: DnD Beyond Beta is live started by Morrus View original post
    Comments 114 Comments
      lkj -
      Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD
    1. TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
      https://www.dndbeyond.com/ if you didn't already know.

First impression: it's a compendium, which is all that was expected, at this point. The styling is clean and easy to read.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Requires a Twitch account, which almost made me scrap the whole thing. Why would they do that?
      Because Twitch owns Curse, which runs D&D Beyond; and Twitch is always trying to expand its user base? That would be my guess.
      Mercule -
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoSix View Post
      Because Twitch owns Curse, which runs D&D Beyond; and Twitch is always trying to expand its user base? That would be my guess.
      Fair enough. I don't have anything against Twitch. Didn't know that there was a connect. Makes a lot more sense, in context.
    1. TwoSix -
      Fair enough. I don't have anything against Twitch. Didn't know that there was a connect. Makes a lot more sense, in context.
      Of course, since Amazon owns Twitch, I want to know why I'm not getting D&D Beyond with my Amazon Prime subscription.
    1. Baumi -
      Yeah, the twitch Account is really annoying.
      Corwin -
      Not sure why registering for a free account you never have to use for anything other than this app is an issue with anyone...

Looks clean and user friendly so far. I look forward to using it at the table. I'm a little bummed the free added content (like the races and spells from Elemental Evil, for example) aren't included. That's unfortunate for me given my current PC is a goliath EK with several spells from that free player guide.
      FarBeyondC -
      https://www.dndbeyond.com/ if you didn't already know.

First impression: it's a compendium, which is all that was expected, at this point. The styling is clean and easy to read.
      Sounds good enough, I suppose. Let me go check it-

Edit: Oh, yeah. Requires a Twitch account, which almost made me scrap the whole thing. Why would they do that?

You know what, nevermind.
      BoldItalic -
      I'm out. They've fallen at the first hurdle. At least Morningstar let you sign up.
      Jester David -
      I imagine it's so they can use Twitch's payment system, with all it's established security, rather than having to make it all that themselves and having to also worry about storing customer data.

(I already had a Twitch account for Critical Role, so that wasn't even a speed bump.)
      koga305 -
      Looks solid, although as said the Twitch account component is annoying.

Nifty easter egg: for monster stats, each statistic is shown with a picture of a certain animal. Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor - they're all references to enhance ability.
      Jester David -
      First Impression: yup, this is a pretty version of the Hypertext SRD.
      Second Impression: That's pretty much it. Not much else to say for this phase...
      Patrick McGill -
      What's the difference between signing up for a twitch account or signing up for a DDE only account. I don't see the problem there at all. I never had a twitch account, the sign up didn't have me leave the DDE website at all. No fuss. What's the problem?

Anyway, yeah, the compendium part is about what I expected. Nice filters, the spell, monster, and magic item lists will be super useful for me to quickly look things up. This was the easiest phase, however, as it's just text and filters. the Builder will be the true test.
      Waterbizkit -
      I'll take a closer look at this later. I don't mind the account sign up, I was expecting something along those lines, but all I'm seeing is a web interface right now, no option to download anything. Of course, maybe that's because I haven't created an account yet. Either way my interest in this is in having an app for it on my phone or tablet, not necessarily using it via a website. It's splitting hairs a bit I know, but all the same that's what I thought it was. I could have just misinterpreted what it was supposed to be or perhaps that's coming later.

Anyway, something to look at later when I'm not at work.
      Gardens & Goblins -
      Eh.

I've managed to avoid Twitch so far. I reckon I can continue to so for a little longer.

''Oh leave Twitch alone!'' Yup, can do - will do
      akr71 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
      Yeah, the twitch Account is really annoying.
      For me the only annoying part is the fact that Twitch is blocked at work. Oh well, I guess I'll check it out when I get home.
      Patrick McGill -
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterbizkit View Post
      I'll take a closer look at this later. I don't mind the account sign up, I was expecting something along those lines, but all I'm seeing is a web interface right now, no option to download anything. Of course, maybe that's because I haven't created an account yet. Either way my interest in this is in having an app for it on my phone or tablet, not necessarily using it via a website. It's splitting hairs a bit I know, but all the same that's what I thought it was. I could have just misinterpreted what it was supposed to be or perhaps that's coming later.

I'm expecting a downloadable app as well. They said it'll work offline when it's released, so they pretty much have to have an app.
      Barantor -
      I'm a fan of twitch and what the whole Amazon conglomerate is doing so this works out pretty well.

As far as the beta, it's ok so far but we'll have to see what happens once they open up more parts of it.
      Capn Charlie -
      Nifty so far, I like what I'm seeing. Awkward to use on my phone, but not unusable.

Magic items, though.... Know how something says Sword (any) well, there is a specific entry for every version possible of that sword. Rapier of life stealing, short sword of life stealing, greatsword of lifestealing.... makes finding weapons on the list more difficult than it has to be. They need to make weapons of the same enchantment collapsible or something.

The magic item filters are freaking amazing, though, I can toggle item types (ring, armor and weapon, say) and then toggle the type of item I am looking for. Seems they don't have a lot of the granularity implemented yet, but I like the idea of saying "Give me magic items with warding or concealment effects" and see an array of appropriate items. Keywords and tags will make things a lot easier for me to look things up when doing building or design.
    1. BrockBallingdark -
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterbizkit View Post

There is no option to download anything, it's just the Web interface at Phase 1.
      SkidAce -
      I wondered why I was in the other thread talking to myself.
    Comments Leave Comment