Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Gives You Subclasses For Monk, Ranger, and Paladin

Unearthed Arcana is back, and this week it's a trio of subclasses covering the monk, the ranger, and the paladin. "Three classes each receive a playtest option this week. The monk gets the Way of the Drunken Master. The paladin gets the Oath of Redemption. And the ranger gets the Monster Slayer, a reimagining of the Monster Hunter that we previously released for the fighter."

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 19.01.04.png
SaveSave

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 19.01.04.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 19.01.04.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 26,238
Last edited by a moderator:

Not terribly impressed with the Drunken Master...seems a bit underwhelming (though, I do like the level 17 feature a bit...at a lower level).

The Redemption Paladin...a naked AC of 16 + Dex?!? What??? I'm really torn about this subclass...I like the concept, but there's just something about the subclass that I don't like...can't put my finger on it.

The Ranger...they get a Hunter's Mark without the penalty of casting Hunter's Mark...and a few added benefits...not sure I like that.

Very underwhelmed by this particular article...

So my thoughts on the subclasses...

There's finally a Monk subclass of the Drunken Master. It's a very simple subclass, that does a lot with Flurry of Blows. Though it's certainly designed around taking on mobs of enemies.

The Oath of Redemption Paladin, is the Pacifist Paladin subclass with maybe a bit of the Oath of Poverty. I think it's Armor of Peace is too much, as I feel it should be more like using Medium Armor, in that the dex bonus is limited to +2. It'll probably go well with a Way of Tranquility Monk.

The single focus Monster Slayer Ranger, seems like they've taken the 4e Hunter's Quarry and added a bunch of things with counters.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If the "Hey Paladin, look over there!" wasn't prevalent before, it sure is now with this one running around in your group :)

It actually sort of reminds me in a way of one of my favorite PCs in 2e I made with the Player's Options books. A paladin of Illmatr who couldn't wear armor, but had a higher HD and could cast spells earlier. While not a pacifist by any means, his whole deal was "enlightenment was reached through pain", which translated into being able to take a lot of punishment. So with a few flavor tweaks, I could probably use this subclass to recreate him.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I like this Monk, and I like this Paladin.

Not sure I would ever play one, but it is quite interesting. Thought perhaps this is what you could take when trying to repair your oath breaking, but I like this concept as well.

I don't like Slayer's eye... If there was some time involved with sizing it up? Maybe like the battlemaster can do with opponents (this one would still be clearly better), but as a bonus action, and you pretty much learn everything. If it was part of favored terrain I could see it, but with how it is you can step into an environment you have never been in before and know all that about some strange creature you just met.

Otherwise, I am okay with the subclass.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
The Drunken Master I'm a bit disappointed with, though I can't completely put my finger on why. Gun to my head I think it'd be Tipsy Sway being once per short/long rest rather than just using your reaction or something. It's a minor thing to be sure, but it just leaves me a bit less interested in the subclass. There's probably more to it, but like I said it's hard to put my finger on.

I actually quite like the Oath of Redemption, and that's surprising to me because typically I don't go in the for the "pacifist" type classes. I like this though and maybe it's the simple fact that it points out: expect to fail. There's something about how it acknowledges how tough this path is and that these Paladins shouldn't be naive and should expect to fail in redeeming their foes. It's a small thing and it's a "fluff" thing rather than a mechanical one, but for some reason it makes a difference to how I take it. Mechanically I actually like everything and don't mind Armor of Peace being 16 + uncapped dexterity modifier, even if it'll probably a popular dip option for some classes. Regardless, I'd play one of these and I usually don't buy in on these kinds of subclasses.

And the Ranger... indifferent. It's not bad, it essentially seems like taking hunters mark and making it the focus of the subclass. It's not bad, I don't think, it just doesn't do as much for me as say the Primeval Guardian... that one I saw and immediately said "Yes! I'd play that!" This one not so much.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
I like the concept, but there's just something about the subclass that I don't like...can't put my finger on it.

For me, that "something" is the fact this is a martial class that advocates not being martial. Great roleplaying if not playing your class' strengths is your thing, but I would never play one. I find this concept is best as a film or literary character and far less so as one in a tabletop game (at least in games I've played where combat isn't the be-all, end-all, but plays a significant role). Of course, that's just my take. :)

I think the Drunken Master abilities Tipsy Sway and Drunkard's Luck have their use criteria backwards. It would be far more useful (and, to me, better evokes the look of drunken kung fu) to be able to spend ki on the Tipsy Sway and the Drunkard's Luck be used once every rest.

I haven't much to say about the Monster Slayer ranger. I still haven't liked a single attempt at re-doing the ranger class, so a subclass of a class I would never touch doesn't suddenly make it more appealing to me. Frankly I think the Monster Slayer would be better served as a 2e style kit that all classes can use.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Dipping 3 levels in Paladin is almost a no-brainer for many builds if the DM isn't super vigilant about the pacifist aspect.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases