The Noble is 5E's Warlord - A Preview Of A TOUCH OF CLASS

A Touch Of Class launches on Kickstarter in a couple of days, on Monday, April 3rd. Keep an eye out, because there will be early bird rewards for those who get in quickly. It features 7 new classes for 5th Edition, along with associated subclasses, feats, spells, and more. These classes all originally appeared in EN5ider, the 5E Patreon, and have been revised and updated based on your feedback. You can see a preview here, and a preview of the Alchemist class here. But this post is about the Noble - the 5E version of the Warlord - which was originally published in EN5ider nearly two years ago, and which has been revised and updated for this 70-page full colour softcover book.

A Touch Of Class launches on Kickstarter in a couple of days, on Monday, April 3rd. Keep an eye out, because there will be early bird rewards for those who get in quickly. It features 7 new classes for 5th Edition, along with associated subclasses, feats, spells, and more. These classes all originally appeared in EN5ider, the 5E Patreon, and have been revised and updated based on your feedback. You can see a preview here, and a preview of the Alchemist class here. But this post is about the Noble - the 5E version of the Warlord - which was originally published in EN5ider nearly two years ago, and which has been revised and updated for this 70-page full colour softcover book.

UPDATE: THIS KICKSTARTER HAS NOW LAUNCHED!

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 02.35.13.png

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Herobizkit

Adventurer
This has to be an April Fool's joke, right?

Starting with a martial weapon and scale armor but having proficiency in neither?
A once-per-long-rest Cure Light Wounds?

Is this intended to be a "Prestige Class"?

I'm so confused.

Xeviat

Hero

Starting with a martial weapon and scale armor but having proficiency in neither?

I'm so confused.

That's three options for starting equipment. One of the paths likely gives armor and weapon profs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddaley

Explorer
This class seems very much to be a supporting class. I could see this being a person's second character or an NPC working with the party. Beyond the starting equipment vs proficiencies issues, it looks ok. Not sure how much fun it would be to play as a primary character, but I see it playing a valuable role to the party.

I'm so confused.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's three options for starting equipment. One of the paths likely gives armor and weapon profs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does. The original noble had some issues though so depending on how much revision has been done 2 of the 3 sub classes were eh and the 3rd was out right broken in the right party useless in others.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
There's more features baked into the subclasses (like proficiency and extra hit points) than in most other classes. The relative fragility of the base is to support the heart noble concept, which is the subclass that allows action granting to other characters at the cost of any personal offensive capability. I'm of the opinion that being able to optimize at-will damage isn't broken, merely strong, particularly on a chassis that only provides minor healing and utility function otherwise, but I know others disagree.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Nope, this is the third time, at least, Morrus has posted about this forthcoming kickstarter. Sadly, if I understood him correctly, it's just a pre-order kinda thing, we'll never see it on a store shelf. It is funny timing, though, and I question the choice of article (in both senses - why this preview on 4/1 and why the particular marketing hype of the rather than 'a' '5e Warlord?) There's half a dozen 5e Warlords on DMsG, most actually called that. The Noble, OTOH, was not dissimilar in concept the Noble class in SWSE. I guess there are still a few Warlord threads on the front page, and any sort of publicity is good publicity. ;)

It does. The original noble had some issues though so depending on how much revision has been done 2 of the 3 sub classes were eh and the 3rd was out right broken in the right party useless in others.
Meh, the same can be said of Bless, among many things, in 5e. Encounter balance just isn't the biggest deal this ed. Whatever the players come up with, the DM's Empowered to handle it if he's up to the challenge, an encounter can swing much easier with party composition synergies, the DM can also swing it the other way.

The Noble is 5E's Warlord - A Preview Of A TOUCH OF CLASS
A Touch Of Class launches on Kickstarter in a couple of days, But this post is about the Noble - the 5E version of the Warlord - which was originally published in EN5ider nearly two years ago, and which has been revised and updated for this 70-page full colour softcover book.
I'm delighted for Moonsong, and hope your project does very well, Morrus.

Hurin70

Adventurer
Doesn't seem much like a Warlord to me it if has no martial weapons and no armor. In fact, that doesn't really even seem to fit the word 'noble' in a medieval context, since nobles were defined as 'those who fight' (bellatores), meaning those trained to fight on horseback with heavy weapons and armor.

Zardnaar

Legend
It does. Just not on that page.

The subclasses do and it has a d6 hit dice. A d6 hit dice kind of implies its features should be as good as level 9 spells later in its career.

The name doesn't really suit the class either. The Noble in star wars actually does have some social type mechanics, this Noble is kind of a wannabe warlord that kind of fails at being a noble and a warlord.

It actually looks unchanged from the one I already have so maybe the subclasses have been changed IDK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads