Everyone Else is Doing It: Getting Past Yourself And On The Road To Being A Designer

attachment.php

Being a gamer used to be so simple. Designers designed. Publishers published. Stores stocked and we played. With the advent of cheap technology, those boundaries have blurred. Now I can design games from the comfort of my own armchair. I could even write it on my phone and upload it tonight. Well, that’s what everyone else is doing, right?

It can sometimes seem that there as many games as there are gamers. While not entirely correct, it is true that there has been an explosion of home produced material that seems a world away from the poorly photostatted fanzines of yore. The gaming fan is less likely to have a bulging binder of handwritten notes these days, armed instead with a Cloud account and a bunch of digital folders marked “RPG Project”.

Given that desktop publishing is now within the reach of many, it’s no surprise that so many have taken up the challenge and produced their own games. The question then isn’t so much why would you self-publish, but why haven’t you? Which is a question I asked myself recently, while staring at a blinking cursor on Google Docs.

My perfect RPG doesn’t exist. That hasn’t stopped me searching. I have shelves full of games, many loved, others abandoned, all of which have something that made me part with my cash, something that made me think this could be the one. The idea of writing my own game is a natural consequence of years of oh-so-close book purchases. Imagine a game with monsters from there, characters from here, and a magic system of my own devising, all wrapped up in a setting that takes the best bits from that game and a bit from that one.

I know. It sounds like a nightmare.

Enter the democratisation of publishing. You don’t need to have an audience for your work any more. Now, if you write what you want, in your own unique style your opus will find it’s way out into the world and maybe someone somewhere will pick it up. If you measure success in sales units, then this is clearly a fool's game, but that would be missing the point. No-one else is going to write that Frankenstein’s mash up of system and setting I’ve had in the back of my mind all these years, so why not do it myself, and throw it out there to see if anyone else shares my tastes?

So that’s the hardest part of self-publishing your own game; deciding you’re going to do it.

Which is the easy bit, just typing out your ideas into your Word processor of choice. How hard can it be? You’re a GM, you know how to communicate. You know the ideas you want to incorporate. You instinctively know what Initiative is. You can write an example. Surely it's just like playing, but writing it down, then tidying it up?

Turns out, it’s unbelievably harder than it looks.

Next time… Hack or Heartbreaker; the challenge of originality.
SaveSave

It's hard to do and even harder to do well. I am struck by the number of RPGs out there. Many are extremely well done. Even the not so well done systems represent thousands of hours of work by their authors. I try to buy or back the great ones. I played 13 different RPGs one year but now largely play 5e with the occasional one-offs.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Not like playing. At all. Closer to GMing, but not much. Contrary to the end of the article, though, the difficulty is believable.

Oops, sorry - SPOILER ALERT!

However, unlike Carrot Top (article photo), I tend to have a big smile on my face when I'm writing.
[MENTION=71259]Baz King[/MENTION]: I'm hoping you'll write a Getting Your Game Noticed Despite Everyone Else Doing It. That would be most helpful....:)

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Love of gaming and love of writing might overlap, but they aren't the same thing.

If you really love writing, you just write. It's not all that difficult.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Funnily enough, I find being a gamer now to be simpler than as a teenager in the early 1980s. AD&D was so poorly written and poorly designed that I was always trying to "fix" it, without the life experiences or other skills necessary to do so.

Later editions, and later games, mean that I'm not always trying to fix bad design: Sure, I might make custom content, but that's not the same as trying to salvage a wreck.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Funnily enough, I find being a gamer now to be simpler than as a teenager in the early 1980s. AD&D was so poorly written and poorly designed that I was always trying to "fix" it, without the life experiences or other skills necessary to do so.

Later editions, and later games, mean that I'm not always trying to fix bad design: Sure, I might make custom content, but that's not the same as trying to salvage a wreck.

Celebrim

Legend
I personally think we are getting to the stage of PnP evolution where good designers are going to be looking to leverage existing systems in new ways much more often than they invest in creating new engines for existing settings. More and more, I see rules design for RPGs as a mature technology with well designed systems. cRPGs led the way in this, and have been doing it since the 90's, with RPG creators building games in licensed versions of a physics engine rather than worrying about creating everything from the ground up. D20 generated some of the momentum for that, and created some truly interesting re-imaginings such as Mutants and Masterminds.

If you are a small designer without a lot of visibility in the gaming world, you are much better off I think licensing some sort of engine than creating a unique system. That frees you up to actual work on the creative aspects of your game, rather than trying to sell the 30th physics engine to people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
One thing to remember is that design exists to solve problems. A lot of the subclasses/subclasses I write for EN5ider exist to solve gaps within D&D's storytelling and to make it accessible to people who have exposure to different (but none the less good) stories.

I completely agree with @Celebrim that for most folks the best energy-to-reward ratio is to create within a system that is already used. However, I have written two different RPG systems on my own and I cannot overstate the innate value of such an incredible project. Even though they are unpublished, my play groups (and some even in my town) have found them incredibly useful. They each increased my confidence and skill as a writer and storyteller.

Even though I am a writer of some talent, some things I don't have much knowledge of personally are publicity, price points, and PDF formatting--and these remain my barriers to entry.

Calithorne

Explorer
I would like to publish my campaign world as a setting book, but I'm unclear on what I can do with the OGL. Can I create D&D 5e stats for my NPCs and monsters, or must my work remain system neutral? I don't even know, and I've looked at it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would like to publish my campaign world as a setting book, but I'm unclear on what I can do with the OGL. Can I create D&D 5e stats for my NPCs and monsters, or must my work remain system neutral? I don't even know, and I've looked at it.

Yes, you can. If your campaign world was system neutral, you wouldn't need a license. The license is what gives you access to D&D.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases