The Other Red Box - Early Alternative Art For D&D

A bit of D&D history! Frank Mentzer (TSR, Dungeons & Dragons, creator of the RPGA) shared the following anecdote regarding an alternate cover for D&D's Red Box set which never came to be. The art was by Larry Elmore and featured more than the single fighter and dragon we're familiar with. The art is actually for sale you would need to contact Frank directly via Facebook or email if you're interested.

attachment.php

"Once upon a time, the TSR folks decided in the early 1980s that the D&D Game had gotten SO big that it could be sold in mass-market retail stores and book stores.

That meant a lot of changes. Tom Moldvay's great new Basic set had only been out 2 years but had to have new artworks at least, probably a whole new edition, to match the slick quality necessary for mass merchandising. (That applied to the brand-new Cook-Marsh Expert as well.) I was tasked to write the text, and Larry Elmore was selected as the principal artist, to do covers and many interior artworks.

Initial cover concepts were similar to the previous edition, portraying a group of adventurers with a dragon. That was almost used, but it bothered Gary. After the color images were ready to be finalized in oils, after a lot of plans were made, Gary changed course. He asked Larry to focus the action on just one fighter and one dragon... and the world-famous Red Box cover emerged.Recently I was digging through a container of old, long-forgotten artworks, and came across Larry's original, the "Other Red Box" cover. We put it on display for Frankenparty (just before GaryCon IX), and it's been in the living room ever since.

Thought you might like to see it. (Thanx to Jon Peterson for the quality photo.)

Special note: This original Elmore, a historical milestone and monument to 'what might have been', is for sale. It's quite expensive and I do have a pending offer. If you want to get into the fray, pls let me know via pm or email. (The sale should be finalized by 01 July, so you have time.)"

SaveSave
SaveSave

dave2008

Legend
To bad, I think this is a better cover. At least it gets across the concept of D&D as a team / group game. Marketing wise I can see how focusing on the fighter and dragon might have been a good choice though.

ShadoWWW

Explorer
I live in the Czech republic (you know Prague, don't you?), and here, company ALTAR published a game similar to Mentzer's BECMI, called Draci doupe (aka "Dragon Lair"), in December 1990, one year after the Velvet Revolution. RPGs were something completely new in the Czech republic in those days, nobody knew it, except authors of Draci doupe who have obtained Mentzer's BECMI several years before that in USA.

Why am I telling that? The cover of Draci doupe illustrated by Czech artist Tomas Kucerovsky is bellow. Most likely inspired by BECMI cover. ;)

draci_doupe.md.jpg

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases