Traveling The Black Seas of Infinity With The Call Of Cthulhu RPG

attachment.php

Call of Cthulhu fills an interesting niche in the role-playing hobby. Where many other role-playing games champion escapism, Call of Cthulhu has always been decidedly anti-escapist. Players create normal people who are thrust into terrifying and utterly alien situations. The end result is a game that is highly immersive, and more than a little scary. You’ll be happy to know that the good folks at Chaosium have continued this proud, if mildly sadistic, tradition with their latest offering: Call of Cthulhu, 7th Edition.

As usual the artwork and overall production quality is fantastic. I found the full-color chapter illustrations especially evocative. However, I’m going to skip over the design and instead focus on the rules. In particular I want to talk about a couple of new additions that caught my eye. Namely the expanded investigator backstories and pushed rolls.

Crafting an investigator backstory has always been one of the most enjoyable aspects of character creation in Call of Cthulhu. Watching the disparate stats and skills morph into a living, breathing investigator is always exciting. In the 7th edition rules, the investigator backstory rules have been expanded to include new occupations, handy guidelines, and my personal favorite: random tables!

It’s my humble opinion that any role-playing game worth its salt makes good use of random tables, and these tables deliver. Three of the tables (Ideology/Beliefs, Meaningful Locations, and Traits) help players round out their investigators’ personalities, while the other two (Significant People and Treasured Possessions) are essentially MacGuffin factories. These two tables alone provide savvy Keepers with enough steal-able trinkets and kidnap-able NPCs to keep their players neck deep in bad choices.

The rules for pushed rolls allow players to reroll failed skill checks, as long as they can provide the Keeper with a good reason for doing so. On the surface this may seem to lower the stakes, and perhaps even compromise immersion, but in fact the opposite is true. Pushed rolls actually tempt players into increasing the stakes! Failing a pushed roll can result in some nasty side effects, especially if the investigator who failed the roll is temporarily or indefinitely insane.

For example: Normally if a player fails an Appraise roll they are unable to determine the value of an item. However if they push the roll, and fail that as well, they could end up damaging the item or accidentally activating it. Better still, if an insane character fails a pushed roll they might develop an unhealthy obsession with the item, or become convinced that the item is cursed and try to destroy it. Each and every skill in 7th Edition comes with examples of failed results, allowing for tons of improvisation.

In the end, Call of Cthulhu, 7th Edition preserves the successful formula from previous editions while adding a few new ingredients that enhance the experience. Personally, I can’t wait to run a game for my own group. Would you like to push that roll?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Interesting. And, 500 word limit?

Want to say a little more on CoC in general, maybe for those who have not played it so much? (I and some of the other grognards around here have, but the kids hanging out here might be another story).

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
An issue Ive always found with Call of Cthulhu (and this likely applies to many other rpgs) is the sheer number of editions it has had. What I find happens is

) New or existing rpg company buys the license
)releases their own set of the rules or the existing rules with tweaks
)brings out or re-releases older products as new
)Sales bottom out or never materialise to the point promised
) Game fades away
)Only the NEXT NEW or existing company to buy the now probably overpriced rights and the cycle begins anew.

Its a rpg that people always state is a favorite or that they enjoy playing but sales figures either dont reflect that as the truth, or there are pockets of individuals who love it, but cant sell it to their gaming group.

J.L. Duncan

First Post
The Seventh Ed. Is something I've been looking at as well. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Waiting for a sale, I want the Dead Tree.

trystero

Explorer
An issue Ive always found with Call of Cthulhu (and this likely applies to many other rpgs) is the sheer number of editions it has had. What I find happens is

) Game fades away
)Only the NEXT NEW or existing company to buy the now probably overpriced rights and the cycle begins anew.
Your findings are off-base as regards Call of Cthulhu; it's only ever been published by Chaosium since its original release in 1981*, and older books are re-issued primarily because the original editions are unavailable, not just to update them to the newest edition of the rules. (The only counter-example I can immediately think of is the second edition of Horror on the Orient Express, which uses the seventh-edition rules but also introduces an enormous amount of new material; it's not just a conversion of the long-out-of-print first edition.)

For all that it's been through seven editions, the game has remained backwards-compatible to a remarkable extent; the second through sixth editions are functionally the exact same game system with only trivial changes to skill names and base chances, and even the original first edition and the new seventh edition are close enough for an experienced Keeper to handle any required conversions on the fly.

Also, while I doubt CoC has ever sold in D&D-like numbers, the funded Kickstarters for second-edition Horror on the Orient Express and seventh-edition rules suggest that sales have not exactly bottomed out.

* = Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other RPG that's remained in print and actively supported by its original publishing company for 35+ years.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ditto to [MENTION=67247]trystero[/MENTION] 's remarks - i own CoC 4th through 7th editions, and with a few minor exceptions they are 90% the same in rules content. The core mechanic hasn't really changed, even less so than D&D, and [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] who used to frequent these forums said once that CoC was a game so simple he actually ran games of it before he even read a copy of the rules. :)

As for 7th edition, I have yet to have a chance to run it, but I look forward to, it has a number of new neat rules (the chase rules, the pushing mechanic, minor changes to combat options, the advantage mechanic, etc.) that I think will only add to the fun.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer

) Game fades away

Its a rpg that people always state is a favorite or that they enjoy playing but sales figures either dont reflect that as the truth, or there are pockets of individuals who love it, but cant sell it to their gaming group.
To echo some of the other comments, "edition" is a bit of a misnomer, printing would probably be a more accurate word to use. CoC 1-6 are essentially the same game. 7th edition did make a few small changes, but the differences between it and its predecessors are less than the differences between 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D or between 3.0 and 3.5. Dont think of the word edition with the D&D mindset. And CoC has only ever been owned and published by one single company.

What you are describing is more akin to what has taken place with Star Wars, although those have always sold well, or Middle Earth, which has had ups and downs in the RPG department, although Cubicle 7 is killing it with The One Ring right now, and I cant foresee them doing away with the licence/game for a long time.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases