RISE OF THE DUNGEON MASTER - Gygax's Story In A Graphic Novel

For those who are interested in the history of Dungeons & Dragons, this graphic novel tells the story of Gary Gygax, co-creator of the game. By David Kushner, incorporating information from interviews with both Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and will be available on May 9th. I haven't seen it myself (I'm pre-ordering it though). "Rise of the Dungeon Master tells, in graphic form, the story of Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, one of the most influential games ever made. Like the game itself, the narrative casts the reader into the adventure from a first person point of view, taking on the roles of the different characters in the story."

Gary Gygax's son Ernie Gygax said this about it:

"Well I just received a treat in today's mail the graphic novel: Rise of the Dungeon Master. Well 90 minutes later with the story read and an overall good feeling it is time to share something about this. David Kushner interviewed both my father and Dave Arneson in the twilight of both of them when they had both mostly moved on from perhaps the greatest game creation after the advent of Monopoly. The quality of the art is fantastic as done by a true professional Koren Shadmi. As a member of the family and someone who was involved in all levels of the activities described in this work, you can feel the stories as they were told to David come to the fore. As many of the players in the story have passed and the rest of us are aging, stories such as this based on memories of the day are golden. This is an easy read and quite entertaining while based on fact. Of course I have a few qualms with some of the details but overall this is a must have for those interested in the History of the RPG. A few minor things that jumped out at me was the original D20 being numbered 1-20 instead of 0-9 twice, the Chaimail game was released by Guidon Games first, not TSR and certainly without the spiral binding. 1980 was the year TSR quaded not 1982 and other such nitpicking that occur to me BUT those are nothing to the overall storytelling and detail that this beautifully illustrated work bring to the table. I personally place this book as my 2nd favorite work on my families life right behind Empire of Imagination."
SaveSave

Henry

Autoexreginated
1980 was the year TSR quaded not 1982

Does anyone know what is meant here? I looked up possible definitions, got sent to Urban Dictionary, and became even more confused (and possibly disturbed) than when I started...

Henry

Autoexreginated
So, maybe both the book and Ernie are wrong?

Then again, I trust Ernie because Gary by his admission was in Hollywood organizing sandtable wargaming with writers, etc. by 1982, and the D&D cartoon's first season was 1982, so TSR Entertainment was in business a while by then.

EDIT - nope, my mistake, 1983 was the first season of D&D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Could someone who has read it post a brief review here, or a link to the review? Im considering picking this up. I just find it odd that the paperback price is cheaper than the kindle price.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases