Sean's Picks of the Week (0508-0512) - Robotech, Accursed, Shadowrun, Star Fleet Battles, and a Wiza

AAannnnd... I'm back! Sorry for the last couple of missed weeks, friends, but Life Gets On You, as we say here at the Silver Unicorn Pub. Between the many, many professional projects I am juggling and a rather intensive convention season ramping up, I am scrambling for time to shove my head up over the waterline, so I thank you for your kind patience. This week's Picks run the gamut of ancient horror and near-future cyberpunk, far-future anime and a fantastic wizarding school. Oh, and some playing cards that are very friendly to the eyes.

ROBOTECH: GHOST SHIP

One of the properties screaming for a reboot in fandom is the immensely powerful Robotech giant transforming robot anime. Although the rights remain tangled in a web of Japan-to-America legal webbing that may never be fully resolved, the one company ever able to untangle that web enough to do some fun stuff with the property is Palladium, and now one of the more popular sourcebooks from the Robotech RPG line is available on DriveThruRPG. Fans of the game and fans of the series will want this one.

Robotech® Ghost Ship Adventure Sourcebook, 1988 Edition

Explore the ruins of a Zentraedi Salan Scout ship, but is it an abandoned ship – a “ghost ship” – or is it a trap? Find out.

An RDF Reconnaissance team must stealthily penetrate a seemingly derelict Zentraedi warship that is suspected to be a base for Zentraedi terrorists. The adventure takes place aboard the alien vessel. Floor plans and stats of the Salan Scout offer a platform for future battles and adventures. Macross or Southern Cross setting.

• The Zentraedi Salan Scout Ship floor plans and stats.
  • Ghost Ship adventure outline.
  • Additional Zentraedi items and adventure ideas.
  • RDF in space! And working with the Southern Cross.
  • Space pirates and more.

THE FANTASY ACTION DECK

A little something different, particularly helpful to Savage Worlds fans, but also pretty cool for fans of playing cards and fantasy art.

Squint no more myopic or aging Savage!

From the Just Insert Imagination laboratory comes this scientifically engineered Action Deck just for you with large suits and numbers. That’s not all. This fantasy themed 54 cards deck comes fully illustrated and with a tuck box that will make you the envy of all your friends.

Behold! The Fantasy Action Deck!

SHADOWRUN: FORBIDDEN ARCANA

Shadowrun Fifth Edition players and GMs will greatly appreciate this expansion on the magic system. Building on the basics, this is the pathway to make sure your arcane practitioner stands out both in style and substance – and never forget how both are important in the life of a Shadowrunner.

Ride the Crashing Wave

Magic is wild. Magic is undisciplined. You can try to impose order and understanding on it, but that’s just surface. Underneath is chaos, an erratic heart beating to a staggering rhythm. You don’t control it, any more than a surfer controls twenty-meter-tall wave; you don’t direct the wave, you ride it, capture a piece of its power, and hope to survive. If you do it right, though, you catch a portion of unimaginable power—power those who control the Sixth World don’t want you to have. All the more reason to push past their boundaries and grab it.

Forbidden Arcana offers dozens of different ways for Awakened characters in Shadowrun to harness that power and make themselves a mana-slinger like no other. From new ways to distinguish spellcasters of different traditions to more chaotic methods for summoning spirits to options for Awakened characters who have mastered their craft, Forbidden Arcana shows players how to break out of conventional molds, use mana in new ways, and become true street legends riding the growing wave of Sixth World mana.

Forbidden Arcana is an advanced magic rulebook for use with Shadowrun, Fifth Edition; magic concepts from the book can be used with Shadowrun: Anarchy, though mechanics for that game are not included.

STAR FLEET BATTLES CAPTAIN'S BASIC EDITION

This is a Patreon Pick (thanks to Rick Chatwell) as well as a nod to “Throwback Thursday,” which I think I will start hewing to in the future. Star Fleet Battles fits into the same strange space among RPG fans that Battletech, Heavy Gear, and a number of other wargamer-ish games that still scratch a particular roleplaying itch. I think it has a lot to do with both the subject matter and the way you manage your ships and vehicles, as well as the way the material just screams for you to immerse yourself in the narrative rather than simply moving pieces on a board.

Also, Star Fleet Battles has a strange pedigree for another reason, in that it has its own Star Trek continuity; the license is based primarily on the original series, the animated series, and a number of fan-created properties, with a heavy foundation in what Star Trek was as of 1979.

Do you have what it takes to command a starship? Find out now!

The Basic Set is the entry point into the Star Fleet Battles game system. With this rulebook, you can command a starship! What you have seen, you can do for yourself. This introduction to the game includes rules for the Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Kzinti, Gorn, Tholian, and Orion ships.

The Basic Set Rulebook was last edited in 2005. It contains rules, the backgrounds of seven empires, descriptions of their ships, and lots of scenarios. There are nine general scenarios (so generic that they happened many times), five historical scenarios (ones that tell about a real incident in the Star Fleet Universe), four monster scenarios (these are for the planet crusher, space amoeba, moray eel of space, and cosmic cloud), two mini-campaigns, and one full campaign.

You will need the Basic Set SSD Book (sold separately in B&W and in color) in order to play the game. This is only the rulebook, not the complete game. There are no counters or maps.

ACCURSED: STRAINED ALLEGIANCE

While you’re reading this, Chupacabracon is underway and I am thrilled to be there. Figured a recent Savage Worlds Pick is appropriate, considering the Gathering of Savages we have at the show (Shane Hensley, Clint & Jodi Black, Ed Wetterman & Preston DuBose of 12 to Midnight, Ross Watson, and Yours Truly, among a lot of other licensee folks). This is the most recent release for the Accursed setting, which Ross brought to life with John Dunn and Jason Marker.

You know the one, right? Where you basically play as “Universal Monsters” in a world beset by the classic witches of lore?

Strained Allegiance

In an unusual turn of events, the Gorgon has chosen to enlist mortal agents in her feud with the Dark Queen. The full reasons for her request remain a mystery, but the information she shares is earnest and her offer to cooperate is sincere. Melusine wishes to see Hecate removed from Morden. She is willing to make concessions to the region’s mortal inhabitants—including Accursed belonging to the Order of the Penitent—if they assist her. This alliance of convenience could lead to a tremendous opportunity for the Order, but it is not without risk.

Strained Allegiance is a short scenario that focuses on the adventures of a band of Witchmarked heroes in the Accursed game setting. It is intended for experienced characters, of Veteran level or higher. The adventure may be played as a standalone, or it may be used with the Plot Point Campaign included in Accursed. The adventure features brief scene descriptions, with necessary game mechanics and opportunity for tasks that can be resolved in a variety of ways.

Accursed provides additional details about the setting used in this scenario, and is required to fully make use of the game mechanics presented. Savage Worlds and the Savage Worlds Horror Companion are also required.

-----
So there's the week's Picks, and I hope you enjoy them. As you're reading this, I am probably running a game (Freedom Squadron, on a panel, or hanging out with a lot of great friends and fans in Austin, TX at Chupacabracon.

As always,

The Adventure Continues...

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

CarlZog

Explorer
Star Fleet Battles is an awesome tactical wargame that is very evocative of the original series. With the limited power of your ship's engines, you have to allocate available energy at the beginning of each turn to give you speed, arm weapons, power shields and operate auxiliary systems like tractor beams. You're often forced to make very difficult decisions as you try to maximize your ship's abilities and outwit your opponents' similar decisions. I think it's one of the best tactical games of all time.

The "Star Fleet Universe", the game's unique extension of the original Star Trek setting, definitely reflects the more militaristic, Cold War-inspired aspects of the original series. As a RPG setting, it is much more focused on military and politics than social and cultural elements. "Prime Directive", the Star Fleet Universe RPG, currently runs in two editions: one using 4e GURPS, and one using d20 Modern.

These, and several other Star Fleet Universe games are all still being actively produced and continually expanded after nearly 40 years at a quirky little company led by the original designer.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases