Divinity: Original Sin 2 Previews "Game Master Mode" With Lost Mine of Phandelver

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a turn-based RPG video game which was Kickstarted in 2015. I don't usually cover video games here, since tabletop RPGs are a big enough subject on their own, but this one's a little different because the developers recently revealed a "Game Master Mode". Not only that, they used that mode to play Lost Mine of Phandelver - the adventure in the D&D 5E Starter Set - at WotC's offices. It has overtones of Neverwinter Nights, a game of which I have very fond memories. (thanks to Søren for the scoop)

[video=youtube;sj9cPK2_qKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9cPK2_qKU[/video]

Matt Mercer also played the game in GM mode in a 4-hour session you can watch on Twitch.

The GM mode is "inspired by" Dungeons & Dragons, but it's not actually D&D. Not that that's a problem, of course, but don't go in expecting a faithful recreation of the 5E ruleset (this system uses action points). It includes a level editor with the ability to create creatures, items, import your own art assets, and more, all of which will be shareable via Valve's steam Workshop.

The Lost Mine of Phandelver module hasn't yet confirmed to be shipping with the game, but the developers have indicated they hope this will happen.

raphaelus

Explorer
The first Divinity got amazing reviews, and its one of the last big RPG adventure games that allows couch coop. Worth getting on its own. With that said, I get the vibe that side features like this, even if neat, when you see the number few people actually use it.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
This was a kickstarter stretch goal, not the main draw of OS2. But it would be funny if this ended up providing folks some of what sword coast legends failed to deliver.

paul1

First Post
This was a kickstarter stretch goal, not the main draw of OS2. But it would be funny if this ended up providing folks some of what sword coast legends failed to deliver.

This. Could it fill the hole that SCL left? I am playing through NWN now years later and what a tribute to 3rd edition that was.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
NWN was all 3rd ed. YOu may be thinking Baldur's Gate Morrus?

You're probably right. I played BG again a couple of years ago, but I struggled to get into the 2E mechanics again.

Is the current Neverwinter online game 5E? I think I tried it once, but I can't remember when that was.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
You're probably right. I played BG again a couple of years ago, but I struggled to get into the 2E mechanics again.

Is the current Neverwinter online game 5E? I think I tried it once, but I can't remember when that was.

No it is more like an mmo adaptation of 4e.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases