Check Out Modiphius' Star Trek Miniatures!
  • Industry Great Stewart Wieck Passes Away At Age 49

It is with sadness that I report that yesterday the tabletop gaming industry lost one of its giants: Stewart Wieck, who co-founded White Wolf Game Studio and co-created the World of Darkness, and who more recently helmed Nocturnal Publishing. His brother, Steve Wieck (owner of DTRPG) announced his passing on Facebook. Wieck passed away at the age of 49, collapsing after a light workout;...

Read More

Sean's Picks of the Week (0619-0623) - GM Toolkit...

My friend Mike Lythgoe (who I am totally stoked is getting ready to run Torg for us soon) asked for some suggestions on various sources to help Game Masters put together campaigns and run good sessions. He wanted system-agnostic stuff that would help make things go smooth (sorry, Mal). Thus was born GM Toolkit Week, a...

Read More

Owlbears, Comic Sans, and Goblins in Space: A...

For Free RPG Day 2017, Pelgrane Press distributed the TimeWatch: Font of Knowledge/13th Age: Swords Against Owlbears double feature while Paizo shared a teaser for their upcoming system, Starfinder. These products offered a taste of adventure at the perfect price point, free. Warning: This...

Read More
  • Check Out Modiphius' Star Trek Miniatures!

Over on Beasts of War, there's a look at Modiphius' new Star Trek miniatures. These are 32mm unpainted resin miniatures featuring the original Enterprise crew, and the Next Generation crew. The game - Star Trek Adventures - uses Modiphius' 2d20 system (which was used in their Conan RPG, amongst other games) and is due for release in August.

Click here for more over at Beasts of War.
    Comments 31 Comments
      Brodie -
      Makes me wish I had painting skills.
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
      Buy two sets and a Reaper paint set.
      By the time you're done the first set, you'll have enough paint skills that the second set will look good.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
      Yeah, my minis painting career was very brief and 25 years ago!
      The White Sorcerer -
      What uniforms are the TNG guys wearing? Crusher, Yar and Troi look like they're wearing original TNG uniforms, but what about the dudes?

Also, no Wesley? Boo.
      Jester David -
      I have mixed feelings of these.

The minis look decent and detailed, but resin can be pricer than other plastic (like the stuff used in Bones and the WizKids Deep Cuts; I adore that you don't need to prime or wash the latter).

The Original Series ones look good. Just fine.

My one request would have been swappable heads. Make all the heads separate pieces with common joints, allowing you to pick the head of your choice. So you can use the one set of minis for the Enterprise crew but then put Sulu's head on Kirks' body, Spock's on Bones', and Scotty on Spock's to assemble the new crew of the U.S.S. Jester (or what have you). So the minis double as a fairly generic crew.
      Yeoman Rand would have also been nice for a wider range of women.

The Next Generation ones are from a curious mix. You have Season 1 Yar, Season 6-7 Troi and Crusher (that looks more like a S1-2 jumpsuit), and a season 3+ Worf. But then you have Riker, Data, La Forge, and Picard in their unfortunate Generations movie duds. (Shoulders don't look detailed enough for the First Contact onward uniforms). But, adding to the weird era mismash, the badges for everyone but Yar are the Generations ones.
      Dammit, pick an era!
      lyle.spade -
      They look decent to me. Shame the system isn't better, although maybe they'll clean up the playtest and the final run will be better, and more comprehensible.
      CM -
      Quote Originally Posted by The White Sorcerer View Post
      What uniforms are the TNG guys wearing? Crusher, Yar and Troi look like they're wearing original TNG uniforms, but what about the dudes?

Also, no Wesley? Boo.
      They're Late-DS9/TNG-movie-era uniforms (gray shoulders, red/gold/blue undershirt), but for some reason they have pronounced vertical lines not evident on the real uniforms.
      Von Ether -
      ROTFL!

Of course the Riker fig has his leg propped up on something. Well played, Modiphius, well played!
      jimmifett -
      totally awesome, tho yeoman Rand looks like a drag queen.
      nightwind1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jimmifett View Post
      That's not Rand, that's Christine Chapel.
      Barantor -
      What's up with Geordi's head pose?
      HobbitFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by jimmifett View Post
      Nurse Chapel not Yeoman Rand
      Jeux Fictifs -
      They do that for each serie of Star Trek ?
      Brodie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Buy two sets and a Reaper paint set.
      By the time you're done the first set, you'll have enough paint skills that the second set will look good.
      That would require time, money, a place to paint, and no cats. I only have one of those things: time.
      dracomilan -
      I would mod Sulu and give him an epee.
      ss2art -
      But what if you want to play your own crew, not one of the series crew? No generics?
      nightwind1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ss2art View Post
      But what if you want to play your own crew, not one of the series crew? No generics?
      I don't think they look THAT much like the actors, so a little variation in painting would probably give you a new guy.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by ss2art View Post
      That's not the entire range.
      jimmifett -
      Quote Originally Posted by HobbitFan View Post
      Nurse Chapel not Yeoman Rand
      Ah yes, that explains a lot.

Much better as a Betazed/disembodied computer voice than OST character
      CM -
      Quote Originally Posted by Barantor View Post
      What's up with Geordi's head pose?
      He's watching the results of a "1" on his Warp Core Engineering check.
    Comments Leave Comment