Superhero 2044 Returns This Fall!

Checker Book Publishing Group have announced a new edition of the original Superhero RPG,i. Originally published in 1977 a new edition has been worked on for the last couple of years by Steve Perrin (RuneQuest, Superworld) and a team also comprising of original publisher Lou Zocchi.

Superhero 2044 was the first comic book themed role playing game at the dawn of the industry appearing in 1977 shortly after the explosive launch of early games like Dungeons and Dragons and Runequest. Innovative for the time period it featured such specific rules as classifications for differing types of super heroes, melee rules unique to super heroes, a ranged combat system, point based character construction, and eventually a comprehensive defined list of super powers.

Checker BPG is a graphic novel publisher that published nearly one hundred graphic novels from 2001 to 2013. Checker BPG launched titles with such high profile licenses as Star Trek, X-Files, Flash Gordon, and Clive Barker to name a few. The publisher put the company on hiatus after the death of his fiancé, father, uncle, and the cancer diagnosis of his sister in 2015.

"Our goal is to upgrade the entire system and game to be the pinnacle of super hero gaming", said Publisher Mark Thompson." Superhero 2044 is one of the fondest memories of games from my childhood. Super heroes dominate every entertainment medium from toys, movies, television, comic books, and video games." ,"We feel this genre is under served currently within the industry".

Both the Roleplaying Game, as well as a new Superhero 2044 themed card game, will be Kickstarted later in the year. More information can be found on the Checker Book Publishing Group website but here’s some art to whet your appetite for now…

JeffB

Legend
Yikes. That poor publisher. That is an awful lot of rough times in such a short period.

I have not seen a copy of this game since 1979 or 1980. It was easier to find the module Judges Guild produced for it at the time- Break in at Three Kilometer Island, iirc?? Looking fwd to see the KS and wish them much success!

I should also say...2044 doesn't sound so far away anymore ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases