Kazakhstan Has First Ever Tabletop RPG Convention

Last week I posted about how we "need" more gaming conventions, today I woke up to talk on social media about the first ever tabletop role-playing convention in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is a former republic of the Soviet Union that declared their independence in 1991. This wasn't a very large convention, but I think that we should consider it to be a big deal.

Eight people showed up to game at this convention, and two games were run at it. There was a Dragon Age RPG session that was run in English and a game of Numenera that was run in Russian. On Twitter, James Harland said "In 50 years we'll be as big as Gen Con!" These photos were reprinted from his Twitter post with permission.

The world is a much smaller place when bound together by commonalities.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Look at these pretty people. Not pictured here are the neckbeards like myself sitting at the other table arguing over the logic of a +2 to Armor Class from partial cover (it has moved to hour 2 of the debate)

Dragonbait

Explorer
Look at these pretty people. Not pictured here are the neckbeards sitting at the other table arguing over the logic of a +2 to Armor Class from partial cover (it has moved to hour 2 of the debate)

No to be a Debbie Downer, but can you really consider 8 people hanging out and playing RPGs a convention? If so, I have gaming conventions at my house every fortnight. ;)

No to be a Debbie Downer, but can you really consider 8 people hanging out and playing RPGs a convention? If so, I have gaming conventions at my house every fortnight. ;)

I believe that you meant to say "Hey, that's cool that people in a place not known for tabletop RPGs gathered together to play some games, and start up a new tradition."

Valdier

Explorer
What I find great about it is... they already have a higher level of gender representation at their conventions than we seem to in the U.S. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases