[Updated] Who's Playing What On Fantasy Grounds? Final Stats For 2016!

I've just received the latest usage statistics from the good folks over at the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop showing which game systems are being played on their system. The last set of stats from Fantasy Grounds were back in January, covering up to Q4 2106. This latest set runs through June 2017. So, what's changed? Not a lot as it happens. D&D 5E's share has increased from 58% to 62%, Pathfinder has drooped to 11%, Savage Worlds has increased to 7%, and D&D 3.5 has dropped from 6% to 4%, leaving Other Games to drop from 17% to 16%.

UPDATE - they sent me the wrong pie chart. This is the correct one. Updated notes, above.​

RulesetUsage2017Q2.png

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

RulesetTotal Games
5E331,744
PFRPG61,137
SavageWorlds36,082
3.5E24,061
CoreRPG11,497
4E10,510
Call Of Cthulhu9,186
Star Wars EotE8,313
GURPS5,153
MoreCore5,075
Iron Kingdoms4,818
DSA3,702
RolemasterClassic3,548
Castles and Crusades3,140
Numenera2,735
AD2,617
WH40K2,324
Fate Core1,803
Basic Roleplaying1,800
AD&D1,562
DCCRPG1,279
WHFRP1,223
VtM1,212
Shadowrun1,180
World of Darkness1,053
Grand Total536,754

SaveSave
SaveSave

SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you've got a couple typo/editing errors or else things are not clear. You say these are final number for 2016, but table shows data June 2016 through June 2017. Then your final sentence "leaving Other Games to drop from 16% to 16%" seems like 16% to 16% is not a drop :)

I will say I'm surprised not to see larger growth in PF given the release of official support and modules for PFRPG in April/May. Will have to see what the next quarter brings for PF on FG.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you've got a couple typo/editing errors or else things are not clear. You say these are final number for 2016, but table shows data June 2016 through June 2017.

No, the last set back in January was up to Q4 2016. You need to click through the link to see that set.

SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

No, the last set back in January was up to Q4 2016. You need to click through the link to see that set.
I get that link, I'm just confused because part of the title of this thread is "Final Stats For 2016!" I would think this would have been titled more along the lines of; "Stats for Q2 2017!"

Not a big deal, just found it made me expect something different.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The share numbers may not look impressive, but the raw numbers certainly do -- D&D 5E had a big bump in January 2017 (not sure what that coincides with, since Tales From the Yawning Portal wasn't released until April, though it was announced in January) and didn't give all the gains back in subsequent months. In effect, between September 2016 and April 2017, as many new games of 5e started running in Fantasy Grounds as the total number of Pathfinder games being run over that same period. That's pretty impressive.

--
Pauper

Mercule

Adventurer
Two data points I find incredibly interesting about that:
1) D&D 3.5 is out-performing D&D 4E. I would have expected most 3.5 fans to have moved to PFRPG, by now.
2) Savage Worlds is the third most popular system. Not to knock it (it actually looks like a great system), but I would have expected it to be in with the other indie games; maybe on the upper end, but not that far ahead. I wonder if it's something about the sample set.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
UPDATE - they sent me the wrong pie chart. This is the correct one. Updated notes, above.

2) Savage Worlds is the third most popular system. Not to knock it (it actually looks like a great system), but I would have expected it to be in with the other indie games; maybe on the upper end, but not that far ahead. I wonder if it's something about the sample set.

I think, and have heard, this is because SW has a really strong community developer (Ikeal) who has done a lot to make SW exceptionally user friendly. So, if you are using FG, then SW is one of the most user friendly and supported rulesets there is.

What i find interesting is not the market share numbers, but the growth. From those numbers, 5E has grown 54.7% in a year! That's huge.

And PFRPG has grown 44.7%. Again, an impressive number but hidden when just looking at market share.

At least FG is showing healthy growth in user adoption.

I'm hoping to increase the Call of Cthulhu games just a wee bit this year as I start running next week and hopefully continue throughout the rest of the year. Not enough Cthulhu games being run that's for sure.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases