Paizo News Roundup For July

StarfinderCover.jpg

Hey y’all, it’s time for another edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! As before, my name is Ben, and I’m going to use this space to fill you in on some of the ins and outs what’s happening in the Paizo world. The good folks at Paizo have been releasing updates for their upcoming Starfinder product launch left, right, and center. Let’s get started!

Let’s take it from the top, all the way up in the heavens: a two-part breakdown of the gods of Starfinder, both new and old. Reliable favorites like Iomedae, Pharasma, and Sarenrae are still going strong, with their believers adapting their faiths to a more spacefaring lifestyle. Other returning gods include Lao Shu Po, Zon-Kuthon, Abadar, Besmara, Desna, Urgathoa, and Nyarlathotep. New deities include THE DEVOURER, the Star-Eater (CE god of black holes, destruction, and supernovas); TRIUNE, the All-Code (N god of artificial intelligence, computers, and the Drift); DAMARITOSH, the Conqueror (LE god of conquest, duty, and war); and IBRA, the Inscrutable (N god of celestial bodies, the cosmos, and mysteries of the universe).

Next up is an overview of one of the new Starfinder classes: the Mechanic. Using the assistance of a unique artificial intelligence, the Mechanic allows players to specialize in building, modifying, and using technology without the use of magic. Mechanics choose to use either an external drone or an implanted processor to house this artificial intelligence, allowing them to remotely handle physical tasks or augment their abilities and cybernetics. Mechanics also gain technology-based tricks that let them bypass, modify, or overload any piece of technology they find.

Speaking of cybernetics and technology, Starfinder has them in spades! Cybernetics (and other, squishier, augmentations) are purchasable gear that you can use to personalize your character, but they are not required for any given character. Starfinder also introduces a system of upgrades, which you can flavor to fit your character, that gives increasing bonuses ability scores. Starfinder’s approach to hacking tries to keep things interesting (sorry, IT security purists!), but aspiring h4xx0rz will still need to balance their skill level in Computers against the countermeasures and tier of their target.

Starfinder isn’t finished with its cool new toys and rules, however, because there’s still the most important part of any self-respecting sci-fi game: GUNS! Guns (and equipment in general) will now have an item level, which gives a good gauge for its power and cost. This keeps the combat math fast and simple, and the systems for buying and modifying equipment are tied to this single mechanic. Modular magic enhancements and a focus on weapon categories allow even non-magical characters make lines or cones of damage, or try their hand at elemental damage.

Whew! And to think there’s so much more to come! I can’t wait, folks, my ticket for the hype train is punched. Well, until next time, that’s it for the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! See you next time!
SaveSave

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are you Ben or Christopher? or did I miss something?

Christopher Helton is the editor who posts articles on behalf of the writers. The software is a bit odd on how it shows the byline depending on whether you view the article or the corresponding forum thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arilyn

Hero
I really wish they would have taken the opportunity to walk away from the 3.5 ruleset.

That would be a risky move, since it's their livelihood. Paizo is a smart, nimble company, and have proven in the past they are quick to make necessary changes. They are streamlining the rule set, which is a good idea, but abandoning it? That would be financial suicide. Parthfinder fans are still going strong, and are a rather fanatically loyal bunch.

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
That would be a risky move, since it's their livelihood. Paizo is a smart, nimble company, and have proven in the past they are quick to make necessary changes. They are streamlining the rule set, which is a good idea, but abandoning it? That would be financial suicide. Parthfinder fans are still going strong, and are a rather fanatically loyal bunch.

Well it's keeping me from ever spending money on it so not exactly the best move.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases