Sean's Picks of the Week (0731-0804) - Myths & Legends Week!

Man, have I traveled a lot this year! In the case of this weekend, it's only a handful of miles, but I am still going to be away from home and in a hotel for a convention. It's a great con, mind you, run by people very special to me (including my own Belovedest, Carinn Seabolt (Editor-in-Chief of Evil Beagle Games and the always-amazing Nikki Ebright). In honor of MALCon, the theme for this week was Myths & Legends, which you can see took us all over space and time (see what I did there?).

SAVAGE SPECIES: MYTHICAL CREATURES

In honor of Myths and Legends Con starting on Friday (August 4th), I’m doing a Myths & Legends Week here at SPOD! Today’s Pick is kind of perfect for that, don’t you think?

Wanna play a Half-Ogre, Minotaur, or Valkyrie in Savage Worlds? Here you go.

Savage Species: Mythical Creatures is a racial supplement for the Savage Worlds roleplaying game. Inside this PDF you will find statistics for 20 playable races all themed after myths and legends of fantasy. So prepare your imagination with Savage Species: Mythic Creatures!

Races Include:

• Centaur
  • Djinn-Born
  • Divine One
  • Faun
  • Frost Dwarf
  • Gnome
  • Half-Giant
  • Half-Ogre
  • Half-Troll
  • High Elf
  • Hobgoblin
  • Ifreet
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Oread
  • Pixie-Folk
  • Sylph
  • Treefolk
  • Undine
  • Valkyrie

LARGER THAN LIFE (M&M)

Continuing Myths & Legends Week (in celebration of MALCon coming later this week) with another book that delves into the legendary figures of humankind’s history. In this case, American folklore is the source, providing stories and stats from the exemplary gaming-as-history expert Michael Surbrook.

This is the Mutants & Masterminds iteration, but there’s also a Hero System and Savage Worlds version, and all of this is for your superheroic or other mythic-level campaigns.

Heroes, villains, legends … the folklore of America features all of this and more. In this volume you can find pirates and soldiers, lumberjacks and steel drivers, mountain men and lawmen, cowboys, Indians, inventors, and eccentrics. All of whom are just waiting to be included in your campaign! And don’t let the time period fool you, just because these characters existed in the 18th and 19th Centuries, doesn’t mean you can’t use them in your pulp, superhero, fantasy, or even science fiction campaigns! After all, these characters are Larger Than Life!

Larger Than Life features 20 archetypes, ranging from Blackbeard the Pirate to the man who invented the 20th Century: Nikola Tesla. In addition, there are a total of 24 full character sheets, each with a detailed history and description of the character in question. But that’s not all! You also get over 124 biographies of other people related to each archetype, as well as famous ocean-going ships, famous outlaw gangs, Paul Bunyan’s entire logging gang, and other historical trivia. Each archetype also comes with at least one template, allowing you to build your own version of that archetype. So what are you waiting for? Dive in and start discovering those tidbits of American history you never knew existed. But watch your step, because after all, these characters are… Larger Than Life!

WELCOME TO SCARTHEY

Those who know anything about MALCon (which inspired this Myths & Legends Week) know that Harry Potter is a huge influence on its founder and all who put it together. That’s the inspiration for today’s particular Pick.

Admissions Now Open, Enroll Today

From J. K. Rowling’s Hogwarts to Terry Pratchett’s Unseen University, magic schools and universities abound with fantastic adventures. Now you can join the adventure and enroll at Scarthey, University of the Arcane. Live and breathe the magic, wander the halls alongside wise wizards, discover hidden secrets, and battle fearsome foes.

Welcome to Scarthey — University of the Arcane is the ultimate student’s guide to the University of Scarthey, including everything you need for fantastic adventures in the exciting and unpredictable world of magical studies. Compatible with the Fifth Edition of the Dungeons & Dragons game, this 66 page book includes:

• An exploration of the tumultuous history of the University of Scarthey.
  • An introduction to the staff and faculties of the University.
  • A look at the four Houses of Scarthey, including campaign traits for each House.
  • A map of the University and descriptions of all the major locations around Scarthey’s campus.
  • A guide to the surrounding town of Scartheyton.
  • A practical guide to the gruesome sport of cackleball and the competitive sport of dragon boat racing.
  • Both a Single Page Spread PDF and a Double Page Spread PDF, stunningly illustrated, for your viewing pleasure.

Get that Degree in the Arcane Arts! Enroll Today!

Are you a Pathfinder Roleplaying Game player? Grab the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game compatible version of this product here.

DOCTOR WHO: ADVENTURES IN TIME AND SPACE

Continuin with Myths & Legends Week, today’s Pick is in honor of one of the legends they most adore at Myths and Legends Con, the Doctor.

“Wait, the Doctor? He’s a television character, not a true legend!”

Folks, our various electronic media forms have been around long enough, it’s more than fair to say certain characters have become thoroughly embedded as legendary in the collective psyche of humanity. Luke Skywalker. Flash Gordon. Wonder Woman. Indiana Jones. Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Can you really deny the utterly iconic, legendary presence of the Doctor in our geek-loving culture?

Imagine you could go anywhere. This world or countless others, encountering strange alien races, new cultures or hostile environments. Now imagine you could travel to any time. See the pyramids and the Sphinx (back when she had a nose!), discover who (or what) really built Stonehenge, meet the first Emperor of Japan, or travel into the far future as humanity spreads to the stars. Where would you go?

With Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space, the power is in your hands! You can go anywhere or anywhen in the universe. It’s not going to be easy. It’ll probably be dangerous. The universe is a hostile place, full of Daleks, Slitheen, Krillitane, Sontarans, Plasmavores, Cybermen, Sycorax, Judoon and worse. There will be fear, heartbreak and excitement, but above all, it’ll be the trip of a lifetime.

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space is a roleplaying game set in the universe of the world’s longest running science fiction show on TV – the BBC’s Doctor Who. Published in a boxed format, the core set includes:

· Player’s Guide
· Gamemaster’s Guide
· Adventure Book
· Quick Start Guide
· Character sheets, including pre-generated characters for the series cast
· Tokens

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space has been written to appeal to both the experienced and first time gamer.

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE: A GAME OF THRONES EDITION

To wrap up our celebration of MALCon with Myths & Legends Week, today’s Pick is one of the settings that is destined to become a legend of this era in the decades (perhaps centuries) to come. I will readily admit that I am not, personally, a fan of George R.R. Martin’s dark, depressing gorefest of political drama and epic battles, but there can be no denying the impression his work has left on both the fantasy fiction and television landscape.

A Game of Thrones Edition is the new core rulebook for A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying. Based on George R.R. Martin’s fantasy epic, A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplayinggives you everything you need to play and run games in the Seven Kingdoms using an easy to learn system specifically designed to evoke the atmosphere of the best-selling novels and hit TV show. This edition includes the entire contents of the original rulebook, revised and updated, plus the full length adventure Peril at King’s Landing and a gorgeous new cover by fan favorite Michael Komarck. You and your fellow players take on the roles of key members of a noble house navigating the perilous waters of Westerosi politics and intrigue. Now is your chance to play the Game of Thrones with Green Ronin’s A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying!

-----
Well, there you go - five products that span the course of myths and legends from ancient times to more recent media phenomena. That's what we're celebrating at Myths and Legends Con this weekend, and I am honored to be a Guest once again. On top of panels, games, and a rousing round of karaoke, my Royal Manticoran Navy ship, the HMS Reliant, will be on hand with our sister ship, HMS Enterprise, to run the Safety Team, Stitch Bay, and share party duties with our Klingon brothers and sisters of House Vampyre.

In other words, it's gonna be a rockin' and geekin' good time.

I hope you have some fun stuff planned, because, as always...

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases