Fantasy Grounds Drops Prices For Electronic D&D Books

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

74a73339-f026-488d-ac66-76ad6eb7dfed.png

Here's what they say about it: "SmiteWorks is working alongside Wizards of the Coast to significantly lower the cost of entry for Dungeons & Dragons players looking to play online with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop. While the project has been a major success, both partners would like it to be even more successful. The prices for official D&D content for Fantasy Grounds will be reduced on August 15, 2017 as part of an initiative to increase new player adoption. Modules which previously cost $49.99 will now be $29.99. Large adventure modules will now be $24.99. Existing customers will benefit in lower prices on all newly released content."

It sounds like WotC is involved in this pricing strategy, as SmiteWorks says that they are working with them to lower the cost of entry. I've reached out for some more information on the initiative, and I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

UPDATE: SmiteWorks' Doug Davison confirms that it's a SmiteWorks initiative:

"I think it is fairly safe to share that SmiteWork's standard agreement is that we license content from publishers and pay them royalties at a fixed rate based on the final sale price of each product. Our publishers set the prices of all products we license from them, although some publishers agree to let us manage periodic sales within set parameters to manage frequency, total discount, etc.

The initiative to increase new player adoption is a SmiteWorks initiative. It is supported by Wizards of the Coast in a generic way as they support us in general, like they do all of their partners."

Here's the full list of upcoming price changes (from August 15th):

40% Cheaper (From $49.99 to $29.99 each)
D&D Complete Core Class Pack
D&D Complete Core Monster Pack
D&D Complete Dungeon Master's Guide
D&D Volo's Guide to Monsters
D&D Tales from the Yawning Portal
D&D Sword Coast Adventurers Guide

28% Cheaper (From $34.99 to $24.99 each)

D&D Storm King's Thunder
D&D Curse of Strahd
D&D Out of the Abyss
D&D Princes of the Apocalypse

25% Cheaper (From $19.99 to $14.99 each)

D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver

Pricing Unchanged

SRD Data Modules are still FREE
D&D Basic Rules are still FREE
Individual Class Packs
Individual Monster Packs
D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen
D&D Rise of Tiamat
D&D Legacy of the Crystal Shard
D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 2
D&D Lair Assault - Forge of the Dawn Titan (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Talon of Umberlee (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Attack of the Tyrant Claw (5E)
SaveSave
SaveSave

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well theres also the fact that there is more competition on the way.

Fantasy Grounds’ main competition is Roll20, and that’s been around for ages. D&D Beyond isn’t a virtual tabletop; entirely different type of product. There’s a few other VTTs, but I’m not too familiar with them all.

halberd10

First Post
This is great news for fantasy grounds users. It also makes the bundle deal with its additional 25% off D&D stuff that much more attractive. The timing of this does seem to be at least somewhat related to the launch of D&D beyond and their pricing scheme, which is very similar. I am also curious if roll20 will follow suit. If not, it seems like fantasy grounds would be the cheaper option for licensed content,. $29.99 for an adventure path, add $3.99 a month for the license ( or a one time $30 payment) and you come out cheaper than paying $50 for the same adventure on roll20.

jgsugden

Legend
Fantasy Grounds’ main competition is Roll20, and that’s been around for ages. D&D Beyond isn’t a virtual tabletop; entirely different type of product. ...
D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds both offer access to online versions of the books. For Pen and Paper DMs that want electronic access to their books from a tablet or phone, they are offering competing products. Yes, they each have additional side benefits the DMs may use, but I think a lot of people will decide between having FG or Beyond rather than both. The timing of this reduction right before the introduction of Beyond is likely not a coincidence.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, they each have additional side benefits the DMs may use

I think you're reversing FG's side-benefits with its core usage. That's a bit like saying my speakers have a side-benefit of being surrounded by a car, making Lexus' main competition Bose.

Peter Saumur

First Post
Fantasy Grounds’ main competition is Roll20, and that’s been around for ages. D&D Beyond isn’t a virtual tabletop; entirely different type of product. There’s a few other VTTs, but I’m not too familiar with them all.

As of yet. We won't know how far they can get with automation, in terms of running a campaign, since they haven't released any digital ones yet. I imagine you will be able to roll dice at some point. They might not go the "digital battlemap" route but it will be 85% of the way there with everything else; DM and Player side.

Peter Saumur

First Post
D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds both offer access to online versions of the books. For Pen and Paper DMs that want electronic access to their books from a tablet or phone, they are offering competing products. Yes, they each have additional side benefits the DMs may use, but I think a lot of people will decide between having FG or Beyond rather than both. The timing of this reduction right before the introduction of Beyond is likely not a coincidence.

Different environments.

I can run Beyond in a browser on a tablet/phone/desktop but only with an active web connection(? unless there is an offline version)
I can't run FG without a PC/Laptop but can run it offline; their plans for Unity may change this but that's years out.

As far as broad accessibility, Beyond wins hands down. As far as robust/mature product, FG wins.

fantasmamore

Explorer
D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds both offer access to online versions of the books. For Pen and Paper DMs that want electronic access to their books from a tablet or phone, they are offering competing products.

You cannot use any type of handheld device to access FG, even if you own a mac you have to use a third-party program since it's a windows app. FG does not have a character creator (although you can use "library items" to create one instead of having to write and calculate everything from scratch). DDB on the other hand doesn't have the ability to import and share maps, use fog of war and I cannot see how people could use it to play an adventure (as it is right now).
So, yes, they do both allow you to access the same content (player's handbook, monster manual etc) but in completely different ways...

Peter Saumur

First Post
This is great news for fantasy grounds users. It also makes the bundle deal with its additional 25% off D&D stuff that much more attractive. The timing of this does seem to be at least somewhat related to the launch of D&D beyond and their pricing scheme, which is very similar. I am also curious if roll20 will follow suit. If not, it seems like fantasy grounds would be the cheaper option for licensed content,. $29.99 for an adventure path, add $3.99 a month for the license ( or a one time $30 payment) and you come out cheaper than paying $50 for the same adventure on roll20.

Beyond just released their pricing:
Standard Pricing
The general pricing information that was previously shared is still valid - normal sourcebooks will be $29.99 and adventures will be $24.99 standard. The Hero Tier subscription will be $2.99 a month and the Master Tier subscription will be $5.99 a month.

Founders Week
The three Core Rulebooks content (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual) will be at its lowest price ever at $19.99 each for the first week (ending Aug. 21st)

The Legendary Bundle will be priced at $279.99 - 15% off the standard pricing.
In addition to this, if you ever purchase the Legendary Bundle, you will lock in a perpetual 15% discount for every other sourcebook or adventure that you unlock in the future.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases