Unearthed Arcana WotC's Mearls Presents A New XP System For 5E In August's Unearthed Arcana

August's Unearthed Arcana, from WotC's Mike Mearls, offers a new experience point system based on D&D's "three pillars" - combat, exploration, and social interaction. "With all three pillars in mind, Mike Mearls presents an alternative system for awarding experience points, offering a streamlined XP process based in equal part on defeating monsters, exploring dangerous sites to claim the magic and wealth found there, and interacting with NPCs to shape the flow of the campaign."

DGpuRtJXgAAUDx-.jpg

The two-page PDF uses a different XP economy. You gain one level with every 100XP, and an encounter (combat, social, exploration) can earn between 10 and 40 XP.

Attachments

• DGpuRtJXgAAUDx-.jpg
    DGpuRtJXgAAUDx-.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 10,234
Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick McGill

First Post
I really like the idea behind it, but I am unsure about the rate. I would want it based on 1-3 xp for a monster of a challenge (0 xp for chumps and minions).

All in all though, very interesting take. You would think about your XP as a percentage value. "I am 50% to level 2" before having to reset it. Also, treasure as XP has a nice retro feel to it.

Satyrn

First Post
I prefer this over the default way.

I'm totally confused by the pointlessness of subtracting 100XP from your total when you level, though, and I'd rather measure combat XP by encounter overcome instead of per monster defeated.

I prefer this over the default way.

I'm totally confused by the pointlessness of subtracting 100XP from your total when you level, though, and I'd rather measure combat XP by encounter overcome instead of per monster defeated.

I can imagine some 10th level Rogue edgelord sneaking out at night and killing 50 chickens and taking a level. This system is silly

Patrick McGill

First Post
One thing about this simplified system is a DM could tinker and adapt it to their game. In an RP heavy group, the DM could award an XP or two for a great scene of RP between the characters and/or NPCs. In an exclusively dungeon-crawl group, you could award an XP for each difficult lock and trap conquered.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases