Recontriving The Ring

Honestly, sometimes my game design looks like it's not really design at all. It's more a remix of classic ingredients; an RPG compilation album of greatest hits. On a mechanical level, you can see the lineage though on a surface level, you might need to squint a bit. For me, game mechanics are defined just as much by the terms and phrases you associate with them as the ways they interpret dice. It's similar with setting. Some fantasy worlds haven't even tried to hide the marks from when they filed the serial numbers off. Others are deliberately innovative, occasionally for it's own sake. Reinterpreting, re-codifying and even revivifying are all well used tools in the designer's box of tricks.

Honestly, sometimes my game design looks like it's not really design at all. It's more a remix of classic ingredients; an RPG compilation album of greatest hits. On a mechanical level, you can see the lineage though on a surface level, you might need to squint a bit. For me, game mechanics are defined just as much by the terms and phrases you associate with them as the ways they interpret dice. It's similar with setting. Some fantasy worlds haven't even tried to hide the marks from when they filed the serial numbers off. Others are deliberately innovative, occasionally for it's own sake. Reinterpreting, re-codifying and even revivifying are all well used tools in the designer's box of tricks.

What's in a name? Take Dungeon Master. No please, take it, I don't want it anymore! It's been a term that's wyrmed it's way into pop culture, and it's brought some baggage with it. Not all games feature Dungeons, and the word Master comes with unwanted connotations. Early RPGs quickly dumped it as the default term (TSRs approach to litigation helped). Nowadays if there is a household name for the person that runs the game it's Gamemaster, or GM for short.

Other games have spun off into even stranger realms of nomenclature. Call of Cthulhu has the Keeper of Arcane Lore. Nobilis? The Hollyhock God. Others are more prosaic, like Traveller, with its Referee, or World of Darkness with the Storyteller. The term tells us something about the expectations. The MC in Apocalypse World implies a very different style to that of the Game Control from Spycraft. It's a similar tale with almost other every piece of game jargon, whether rules or colour. As a Brit, my Armour Class always came with a U, and my Defence with a C. These things matter, because they're literally the language of the game.

My game changes an awful lot of common terminology. It's far from being the first to do so, won't be the last. My term for GM is the 'King of Dungeons'. It's a mouthful, not particularly intuitive, and it even runs the risk of being divisive. I'm going with it anyway because it puts my stamp on the game. Some changes are minimal, with warriors instead of fighters, and priests over clerics. Nothing world shattering, but why shouldn't I indulge myself? Other changes are just to be efficient. I find the word 'foe' to be easy to type, easy to understand, and more effective in the text than 'target' or 'enemy combatant'. Some words I just like to reconfigure because it helps define my world. I have 'guilds' who undertake 'charters', whereas other games would have 'parties' in 'scenarios'. My spells are arranged by 'circle', and 'race' long ago became 'culture'.

In the film Arrival, we encounter the Sapir-Whorf theory which states that language doesn't just give people a way to express their thoughts; it influences or even determines them. I want to see if that happens in my game.

Check out Baz's previous columns about game design: Everyone Else Is Doing It and Hack or Heartbreaker.

MarkB

Legend
Words inevitably carry baggage with them. I too was always a little bothered by "Dungeon Master", not just because of its narrow scope or implied level of control over the group, but also because it flat-out sounds like a term to describe the villain of a fantasy campaign. It basically says "I am playing your opposition. I am the antagonist."

However, the very fact that other games choose varied titles for the equivalent role, combined with D&D's market dominance, means that no single other title ever really gained prominence, though I do tend to default to "Game Master" as the default generic term.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
When you are using a different meaning, using a different word is clearer, shed the baggage. But the reverse is also true - intentionally obscuring common industry terms not only loses that familiarity and written shortcut, but can tend to be confusing. It's like Blades in the Dark using "action ratings" instead of "skills".

I understand words are evocative; when reusing common mechanics with different terms the trade-off of clarity for a nifty turn-of-phrase.

Banesfinger

Explorer
I personally like 'words' and their historical definitions in rpgs. What I dislike are games that take all those common terms and invent new words for them. It is like learning a new language and makes the rules obtuse for no good reason. New words for things like Hit Points, Feats, Skills, Attributes, etc - yet the definition remains exactly the same.

As an example (purposely exaggerated to make my point):
"Participants must invest in a Foibles event, with secondary Inheritance also supplimenting the event."
or (in common tongue)
"Players must roll an attribute check, adding all Feats or Skills that apply."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There is definitely truth to the idea that the language affects the game style and the overall "feel" of the game. As mentioned above, language even affects the way people think, rather than just the way they express their thoughts. And any game you play for more than a session or two, you'll learn its language pretty quick.

I love language, so anything that makes me reconsider casual old phrases is handy.

If I may suggest a small change in format, on the front page I had no idea who'd written this and what it was about. The title and image alone weren't enough. Even after reading the piece, I don't know why it was titled "recontriving the ring."

Kenny Mahan

First Post
I defaulted to Game Master for basically all games a long time ago, there came a point that remembering the GM designation for each game was difficult.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads