Lost Tales of Myth Drannor: DDAL's "Secret" D&D Book For Gen Con 50
  • Lost Tales of Myth Drannor: DDAL's "Secret" D&D Book For Gen Con 50

Lost Tales of Myth Drannor is an official D&D Adventurers League book containing six adventures for characters of levels 1-20. It is billed as a promo for Gen Con's 50th anniversary, although it will eventually appear on the DMs Guild -- from DDAL's Greg Marks: "It is a book that is a promo for GC50 and cons the admins are invited to. It will eventually appear on the DMsGuild."

Greg also added that "When initially released some are being distributed by BMG at Gen Con (I can't speak to how) and some by admins as promos" and that its appearance on DMsGuild would be "some months later.... PDF and possibly POD".

He added later that "I can't speak to what the BMG folks will be doing with their allotment, but the admins that are there will have some as well (myself, Claire and Alan are attending). The first print run of Super Secret Project 76 (not its real name) will be used by the admins as a promo item that we hand out at cons we go to (an actual book is a pretty awesome promo!). It will eventually go up on the DMsGuild as well, though not immediately. I will continue to tease more info on my twitter (@Skerrit7h3green) up until it is released on August 17th."

And there's a LOT of them sitting in boxes at Gen Con this week!

Comments 184 Comments
      Jester David -
      I like this idea.

Giving out free adventures at GenCon is okay, but putting them in the Guild later is great. Especially if they're PoD.

People printing their own doesn't make getting it as a rare exclusive less cool. Getting one at a con is still exclusive and exciting. But people who couldn't make it to a convention due to work or family (or losing the GenCon housing lottery) aren't losing out and forced to troll eBay.
      skerritthegreen -
      We very much would like POD, but still working out some hurdles as its no longer generally available outside of publishers on the DMsGuild. We still have hopes we can work it out. However, because of this we don't have a firm date of when we will be able to get it posted.

Also check out my twitter (@skerrit7h3green) for more pictures including this mornings which has the full TOC and dedication.
      Arallu -
      I know what I'm asking my friend to grab while he's there!
      darjr -
      We have an admin coming to Nuke-Con! I wonder if she'll have any left? I hope so!
      Hutchimus Prime -
      Would love if I could grab this, but won't be at GenCon. If someone is going and could pick one up for me, like someone did for me with Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle that'd be awesome.
      LordEntrails -
      Showing some love and appreciation to the AL DM's is well and good.

I will say that over the last few years not only had I stopped, but didn't feel like getting back into organized play/AL when I did start back up because it felt like the DM's were not only being asked to do all the work, but to pay for their own materials.

Kudos for rewarding those who have put themselves out there, and also for making it available via the DMsG at a later time.
      wavester -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hutchimus Prime View Post
      Would love if I could grab this, but won't be at GenCon. If someone is going and could pick one up for me, like someone did for me with Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle that'd be awesome.
      This is going to be a lot harder to get then GoDC was. Just a fair warning. That book was for sale and they had thousands. This is a fun promo book that was done up as a reward with some extras for the AL Admins to hand out at various shows as they see fit. So there will not be a table with an Admin sitting at it just handing these out by the handful. If you are a DM active in the community and helping out probably increases your odds of them handing you one over just a random person asking. Just a heads up.
      Morrus -
      I'll try eBay -- that worked for me for Cloud Giant's Bargain.
      jerryrice4949 -
      What does GoDC stand for?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jerryrice4949 View Post
      What does GoDC stand for?
      Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle.
      Hutchimus Prime -
      Quote Originally Posted by wavester View Post
      This is going to be a lot harder to get then GoDC was. Just a fair warning. That book was for sale and they had thousands. This is a fun promo book that was done up as a reward with some extras for the AL Admins to hand out at various shows as they see fit. So there will not be a table with an Admin sitting at it just handing these out by the handful. If you are a DM active in the community and helping out probably increases your odds of them handing you one over just a random person asking. Just a heads up.
      Yeah, I realize that...mainly just wishful thinking and putting it out there.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      How very cool. I'll be excited to see it, if it makes it to POD.

I really like the idea of adding regional updates based on AL seasons. It makes the setting feel more alive and active. Even if, you know, Hillsfar wasn’t the nicest place to be a demihuman in,
      dalisprime -
      My LC is already complaining that this doesn't reward community leaders that keep AL alive outside the USA (and then juxtaposed it with how well Paizo treat their community ha). Can't please everyone!
      skerritthegreen -
      Yes, I've heard that and many variations. Unfortunately this is something the admins did (and paid for) on their own. So comparing it to Paizo isn't really the same thing. Sadly none of us (the admins) are wealthy and we simply couldn't afford to make one for everyone in the world that wanted one. Its not that we don't appreciate everyone everywhere who participates in AL, we certainly do, its just that we didn't have enough money between us to pay for it. We especially wanted to commemorate Gen Con 50, so that's why the focus there. We will also wanted to use the leftovers to hand out at shows that the admins attend over the next few months because we know its expensive to bring us to shows (again, none of us have much money and we don't get paid to go to shows, so when we come, its at great expense to ourselves). The easiest, and probably most cost effective, way to get it to everyone however is to make sure it goes up on the DMsGuild, so we're going to make sure that happens.
      mzsylver -
      If anyone is looking for amazing art, please look up Ben Siekert; his drawings at the gaming table are amazing and I can't wait to see the amazing art he put together for this book. Great job guys!
      Matthan -
      Quote Originally Posted by skerritthegreen View Post
      Yes, I've heard that and many variations. Unfortunately this is something the admins did (and paid for) on their own. So comparing it to Paizo isn't really the same thing. Sadly none of us (the admins) are wealthy and we simply couldn't afford to make one for everyone in the world that wanted one. Its not that we don't appreciate everyone everywhere who participates in AL, we certainly do, its just that we didn't have enough money between us to pay for it. We especially wanted to commemorate Gen Con 50, so that's why the focus there. We will also wanted to use the leftovers to hand out at shows that the admins attend over the next few months because we know its expensive to bring us to shows (again, none of us have much money and we don't get paid to go to shows, so when we come, its at great expense to ourselves). The easiest, and probably most cost effective, way to get it to everyone however is to make sure it goes up on the DMsGuild, so we're going to make sure that happens.
      Wait, this wasn't funded by WotC? At all? That seems... short-sighted of them. They had to be involved in the approval process somewhere along the way right? They couldn't use a bit of their promotional budget to help with this? I'm shocked. Will the admins receive profit from the material when it goes up on the DMsG?
      skerritthegreen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Matthan View Post
      Wait, this wasn't funded by WotC? At all? That seems... short-sighted of them. They had to be involved in the approval process somewhere along the way right? They couldn't use a bit of their promotional budget to help with this? I'm shocked. Will the admins receive profit from the material when it goes up on the DMsG?
      WOTC donated the cover art and IP at no charge, but truthfully they never budgeted for this so I wouldn't expect them to pay anything. We are grateful that not only did they give us Myth Drannor, but they even gave us the beautiful cover art. This was an idea the Admins a bit last minute, so we asked if we could do it and not only did they say yes, they actually gave us a more valuable area to play in than we requested because they were so supported and happy with our initiative.

As for if we will recoup anything from the DMsGuild, we haven't decided. Its possible, but we might also put any profits into an account so we might do something like this again in a few years when we build up enough money. Once we work out the possibility of POD, we'll decide what happens with anything else after that.
      Matthan -
      Quote Originally Posted by skerritthegreen View Post
      WOTC donated the cover art and IP at no charge, but truthfully they never budgeted for this so I wouldn't expect them to pay anything. We are grateful that not only did they give us Myth Drannor, but they even gave us the beautiful cover art. This was an idea the Admins a bit last minute, so we asked if we could do it and not only did they say yes, they actually gave us a more valuable area to play in than we requested because they were so supported and happy with our initiative.

As for if we will recoup anything from the DMsGuild, we haven't decided. Its possible, but we might also put any profits into an account so we might do something like this again in a few years when we build up enough money. Once we work out the possibility of POD, we'll decide what happens with anything else after that.
      I tip my hat to your dedication, sir! Hopefully, WotC will budget to help out with these initiatives in the future. I'm hopeful for the POD option myself. No chance to get to GenCon, I'm afraid.
      dave2008 -
      I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, so I thought I would. It is nice to see something for levels 15-20.

Also, great job on getting this started on your own. I hope WotC provides you with some funds in the future.
      Joseph Nardo -
      I'd be willing to pay $50 for print on demand for this!!
    Comments Leave Comment