Take A Look At The Gen Con 50 Museum: First Draft of D&D, First Traveller, & More!
  • Take A Look At The Gen Con 50 Museum: First Draft of D&D, First Traveller, & More!

At Gen Con this year, there is a gaming museum (if you're at the convention, head on over to the Lucas Oil Stadium) set inside a replica of the Horticultural Hall in which the first ever Gen Con took place. Amongst many historic gaming delights, you'll see there a plaque designed by Alex Gygax and Larry Elmore, dedicated to Gary Gygax, who founded Gen Con and co-created Dungeons & Dragons. Photo courtesy of Gail Gygax and the Gygax Memorial Fund.

The original building can be seen below. At Gen Con, you can walk through a facade of the front, and a scale floorpan of the building houses the museum. Photo courtesy of Playing At The World, where more information about the museum can be found.

Below you can see the actual museum entrance. You can see a video tour of the museum here, courtesy of Peter Adkison.

The Roll For Initiative Podcast snapped a few more photos of the contents:

These were taken and posted publicly by various fans:

Comments 14 Comments
      Superchunk77 -
      Heroquest! Don't forget your BROAAAAADSWWWWOOOORRRRRDDDDDD!
    1. jaycrockett -
      Oh God what is that miniature Greyhawk box set??? Is that a real thing?
    1. VengerSatanis -
      They have similar fare at Gary Con each year.
      JeffB -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaycrockett View Post
      Oh God what is that miniature Greyhawk box set??? Is that a real thing?
      Yes. There were many boxed sets they did. Printed in Italy in the late 1990s , IIRC.
    1. Lanefan -
      Quote Originally Posted by VengerSatanis View Post
      They have similar fare at Gary Con each year.
      In the half-dozen times I've been to GenCon I've never seen anything even remotely like this.

Kudos to the Con organizers for taking on the role of custodians of RPG-ing history, and picking up the ball that WotC dropped.
      nightwind1 -
      Somebody at the con should tell them they misspelled "Traveller".
      ArchfiendBobbie -
      Quote Originally Posted by nightwind1 View Post
      Hah! I just noticed that!

That's what they get for relying too much on spellcheck XD
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by nightwind1 View Post
      Where is "Traveller" misspelled?
      ArchfiendBobbie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Where is "Traveller" misspelled?
      Fourth image down. The picture of the Horticulture Hall sign talking about the museum.

It's spelled the correct way the normal word is, not the spelling of the game's name.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by ArchfiendBobbie View Post
      Fourth image down. The picture of the Horticulture Hall sign talking about the museum.

It's spelled the correct way the normal word is, not the spelling of the game's name.
      Ah, I see. The game uses the British spelling, while the sign uses the American spelling.
      JohnnyZemo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lanefan View Post
      In the half-dozen times I've been to GenCon I've never seen anything even remotely like this.
      Not sure if this is misunderstanding or just a related comment, but please note that one of you is talking about GaryCon and one of you is talking about Gen Con.

This is the part of Gen Con 50 that I am most sad to have missed seeing. I hope someday there can be a permanent display of this kind of stuff.
      Bravesteel -
      Very cool! I wish I could have gone this year, but it wasn't in the cards.
      TheDiceMustRoll -
      It's such a shame that there's so little interest in the heritage/beginnings of DnD.
      Eltab -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bravesteel View Post
      Very cool! I wish I could have gone this year, but it wasn't in the cards.
      Me too. -Sigh-
    Comments Leave Comment