Congratulations to the 2017 Gen Con EN World RPG Award Winners!
  • Congratulations to the 2017 Gen Con EN World RPG Award Winners!

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

2018 Judges

• Brian Nowak
    • Denise Robinson
    • Kurt Weigel
    • Reece Carter
    • Sean McCoy

Best Adventure

Best Aid/Accessory

Best Cover Art

Best Interior Art

Best Blog

Best Cartography

Best Electronic Book

Best Family Game

Best Free Product

Best Game

Best Miniatures Product

Best Monster/Adversary

Best Podcast

Best Production Values

Best RPG Related Product

Best Rules

Best Setting

Best Supplement

Best Website

Best Writing

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher

• Gold: Wizards of the Coast
    • Silver: Chaosium

Product Of The Year

This article was originally published in forum thread: Congratulations to the 2017 Gen EN World RPG Award Winners! started by Morrus View original post
    Comments 77 Comments
      Desh-Rae-Halra -
      This is the first year I'm actually pissed about the outcomes.
      I get Tales from the Loop was a smash hit.....I just don't know how Savage Rifts or Polaris didn't get any love......and Wizards = Best Publisher? Seriously???
      JonM -
      Quote Originally Posted by Desh-Rae-Halra View Post
      This is the first year I'm actually pissed about the outcomes.
      I get Tales from the Loop was a smash hit.....I just don't know how Savage Rifts or Polaris didn't get any love......and Wizards = Best Publisher? Seriously???
      Gotta agree with that last comment. I find it a little bizarre that a game company that has no actual games that won any awards and that doesn't plan to have meaningful presence at Gencon would, nevertheless, take the Best Publisher award, for games, at Gencon.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by JonM View Post
      Gotta agree with that last comment. I find it a little bizarre that a game company that has no actual games that won any awards and that doesn't plan to have meaningful presence at Gencon would, nevertheless, take the Best Publisher award, for games, at Gencon.
      Everybody has their own voting criteria. Not that I would want to try to second guess why people voted the way they did, this category would encompass things like their comprehensive Organized Play program (DDAL), their player outreach, their community interaction and growth, the many shows and events they put on, the charity events they do, etc. It’s a category which isn’t just about a single product, unlike the other categories.

But each person votes according to their own voting criteria. Which may or may not be the same as yours.
      thegrinningfrog -
      Who wins or who should win is always grounds for debate with any award ceremony. Thinking positively it strikes me as a great list of products to try out! Let's give a round of applause to everyone who won and was nominated and cheer this wonderfully creative hobby!
      Ghal Maraz -
      Well, Wizards is the big name. The Ennies are , more or less, a popularity contest. Even if Wizards, this year, couldn't qualify in the products categories (and it's what it should have been: remember when 5th edition came out and the Monster Manual - usually considered a functional product at best - won the gold in the bestiary category?), there's nothing unusual for it to get the best publisher, simply through the sheer numbers of voters. People vote only in the categories and for the products they know and, quite sadly, the majorities of RPG players only know about D&D and Wizards of the Coast.
      Having said that, I agree it's a senseless won, as Wizards certainly wasn't the best RPG publisher in the last year. And that analyzing the thing through the most objective criteria. Wizards is the giant of the industry and yet they still managed to keep an almost invisible footprint.
      Zak S -
      Well I'm pretty proud how many tiny tiny tiny OSR things with a fraction of the mileage behind them that mainstream products have managed to win this popularity contest.
      discosoc -
      Feels like Call of Cthulu was a pet favorite...
    1. Kelanen -
      Well deserved win by WOTC and the other winners. I especially liked SPetersons field guide and I am glad to see it recognized.
      Desh-Rae-Halra -
      Morrus, I get it....
      Its just that as someone who has gamed a long time, I just look at how Pinnacle/ (and our own Sean Patrick Fannon) took Rifts, (fantastic setting, maybe would win for most horrible rules) and turned it on it's head to be so good for Savage Worlds. He put a shot of adrenaline in a dying franchise.....
      Maybe there needs to be a new award category....the Ennies Lazarus award for resurrecting a franchise/IP from the dead. If you make this, SPF needs to win retroactively.
      Desh-Rae-Halra -
      Oh, and glad Chaosium won so many awards...maybe now they can start making things right towards their former author William Jones. They should have won a Hall of Shame award for the way they have treated him.
      TerraDave -
      Fan choice was the only thing they WotC could win.

I am glad they did. Anyways...nominations aside, congratulations to all the winners.
      chibi graz'zt -
      Interesting wins... yeah, quite interesting.
      I think of the 'ennies' as the Razzie's of the entertainment industry ;-)
      Jester David -
      I just find it interesting how WotC managed to snatch up best publisher away from Paizo. That was their category for years...
      JLowder -
      Quote Originally Posted by Desh-Rae-Halra View Post
      Oh, and glad Chaosium won so many awards...maybe now they can start making things right towards their former author William Jones. They should have won a Hall of Shame award for the way they have treated him.
      We at Chaosium agree that William was treated badly in the past. However, almost two years ago the new management contacted William and we have been working to settle all debt and to fix any problems with his contracts. It has taken a long time because the problems were, as you note, very serious. We have completely resolved all outstanding issues with fiction projects and are in the process of getting the issues resolved on his RPG work. (Chaosium is once again selling William's terrific creator-owned fiction collection The Strange Cases of Rudolph Pearson, which would not be true if he were not satisfied with how things are now being handled.)

Chaosium brought me on as a consultant two years ago to specifically help the company reach out to creators who had such issues. I have since signed on in a formal role to help them relaunch the fiction line. William was one of my priorities because I am very familiar with all that he did for the company and for Call of Cthulhu. I'm glad to see others recognize that, too.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

James Lowder
      executive fiction editor, Chaosium
      J.L. Duncan -
      Congrats to the Winners... I was very surprised Savage Rifts didn't get something, and thought it should have.
      Zhern -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zak S View Post
      Well I'm pretty proud how many tiny tiny tiny OSR things with a fraction of the mileage behind them that mainstream products have managed to win this popularity contest.
      I was really happy to see Veins of the Earth, Blood in the Chocolate, and Broodmother Sky Fortress getting recognized. The quality of product that Raggi publishes and the consistently top notch content (due to talented writers, artists, cartographers, etc.) pushed out by LotFP is astounding for being essentially a one man publishing operation. In my opinion, Veins, Blood, Broodmother, and Cursed Chateau were some of the best products to come out this year across the entire industry.

Nice to see the OSR get some love.
      Arilyn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zak S View Post
      Yes, the ennies work better when the mainstream F20 games are out of the picture. 5e is fun, and one or the better DnD versions, but there is nothing particularly innovative about it, but it swept the ennies the year it came out. Same is true of PF. Next year, might very well be Starfinder. I much prefer years like this one, where we can see innovation and originality shine. Tales from the Loop, for example, deserves all the attention it got this year, but what if it had been competing the same year as 5e?

Anyway, congratulations to all the winners. Keep on designing!
      Shemeska -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      I just find it interesting how WotC managed to snatch up best publisher away from Paizo. That was their category for years...
      My assumption is that with the judges placing virtually no Paizo products in the voting categories that a majority of Pathfinder-centric players simply didn't vote. I might be wrong, but that was my immediate take.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shemeska View Post
      My assumption is that with the judges placing virtually no Paizo products in the voting categories that a majority of Pathfinder-centric players simply didn't vote. I might be wrong, but that was my immediate take.
      The judges are elected by the public. They then nominate five products in each category. The public then votes on those nominations.
      Thunder_Cats_HO! -
      Let's talk how about the how one guy flipped everyone off as his acceptance speech, and the boos when WOTC won.. Classy
    Comments Leave Comment