RPG Crate Unboxing: Mythoard #30

This latest RPG crate shows promise but there are a few missteps in execution. I'd like to see the scroll without rules on it so it can be used in any version of D&D, less artwork that I could easily print myself, and props that you can actually wear.
This latest RPG crate shows promise but there are a few missteps in execution. I'd like to see the scroll without rules on it so it can be used in any version of D&D, less artwork that I could easily print myself, and props that you can actually wear.

[video=youtube;w16XhTxuMDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w16XhTxuMDc[/video]

Here's what you get:

• Judges Guild Journal #13 (standard fare)
  • Art of the Genre Folio #11 (excellent maps, curiously large font and spacing)
  • The Red Room one page adventure by Jared Daniel Nielsen (monster stats are missing)
  • a hand crafted magic scroll for S&W Magic Missile complete with wax sigil by Loveti Cosplay (awesome scroll that has magic missile rules printed on it that don't match other D&D games)
  • a Raise Undead magic ring by Loveti Cosplay (doesn't fit an adult's hand)
  • a Necromage full color illustration by Joel Holtzman (could just have easily been a PDF that you print)
  • 2 Hex20 basic dungeon tiles (add to your collection)
  • 4 black obsidianite cursed death tokens with velveteen dice bag by Dwarven Crate (this is cool)
  • Knights of the Dinner Table comic #112 by Jolly Blackburn (YMMV)
  • a sample Game Masters Toolbox Critical Fail Deck card by Nord Games LLC (only useful if you have the whole deck)
Next month's is pirate-themed, so stay tuned!

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Zarithar

Adventurer
I have an article that looks at the state of geek crates coming up. Stay tuned!

Looking forward to reading it then. I thought Loot Crate was great in the beginning... T-Shirt and a Funko POP (or something equivalent) each month. Later on though it became more junk and less value (lots of 5 page comics, random pamphlets, cheap buttons, etc). I cancelled my subscription awhile back and then noticed everyone jumping on the Loot Crate bandwagon and creating all of these specialty crates for various niches of geekdom. Not very sustainable if you ask me... nor worth the money. All of that stuff shown above can likely be purchased individually for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

talien

Community Supporter
Loot Crate itself has been stumbling lately, but Privateer Press and Hasbro just jumped in with their own crates, so some businesses still think there's a market. Whether or not it's a long-term market will play itself out soon enough.

Remove ads

Remove ads