#RPGaDAY Day 27: What are your essential tools for good gaming?

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 27 of #RPGaDAY 2017!
It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 27 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

#RPGaDAY Question 27: What are your essential tools for good gaming?

Darryl Mott: Dice, pencil, paper. I’m pretty low tech. Some systems like Pathfinder or Shadowrun where there are a lot of widely varied character options, a solid character generation is incredibly useful. Sometimes, a tablet or a TV linked to a computer or phone can be nice to put up a reference image.

Michael J Tresca: a RPG, friends, and a comfortable place to play. Everything else is gravy.

Angus Abranson: Imagination and the desire to have fun. One of the best gaming experiences I had was back around 1990/91 when a few friends were round mine and we decided we fancied a game. We had nothing prepared to we just started storytelling. We had three GMs and two players. Each GM played a scene in sequence, alternating the player whose scene it was (as the players characters were not together). So we had GM1 = Player 1; GM 2 = Player 2; GM 3 = Player 1; GM 1= Player 2; and so forth. The GMs didn’t communicate between each other in regards to plot and just took the story up where the previous GM for that player had left it. No dice, no character sheets, only everyone’s imagination and desire to have a fun evening with friends. The evening was immense fun and the story weaved was fantastic. The two characters never actually met, but they did both end up in the same location at the end of the game. The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco…. A hundred years apart.

Paul Mitchener (Age of Arthur; Hunters of Alexandria): Honestly, I'm not a tech heavy gamer. As a player, give me a pencil, a character sheet, some dice, and a notebook to take notes and I'm a happy bunny. And as GM, I'm much the same, with the addition of a few pages of handwritten notes on what I'm running. I'm not even high tech with online gaming; give me a video connection and a dice app or physical dice at hand, and I'm very happy. More complexity gets in the way for me.

Mike Mason (Chaosium; Games Workshop): Commitment, a desire to participate, and good humour. Importantly, don't wait for the GM to ‘make things happen’ – get involved and help drive the story forward yourself, while picking up on the GM’s cues. I get tired of hearing “my character wouldn't do that” or “I don't see why my character would want to go there,” etc. If that’s the case, you have created the wrong character for the game/scenario you will be playing. Ditch that character straight away and make a new one who will be engaged – that will help you to be engaged too – and the GM can get on with building the story with everyone around the table/monitor.

Charlie Etheridge-Nunn (RPG Reviewer; Who Dares Rolls): Index cards. Admittedly post-its will do in a pinch, but index cards. They’re great for: Sessions – Just sketching down scenes which need to be hit NPCs & Monsters – Stat blocks, interesting details Maps – I love being able to make maps with index cards and move them around. That’s why Inventory Quest uses them, why my Mario Kart RPG will and my Assassin’s Chores one will use cards roughly the size of them Random stuff – Aspects in Fate, table tents for names, items to hand out I may have an index card problem. Just a bit. You can’t tell, can you?

Garry Harper (Modiphius Entertainment; The Role Play Haven): Good resourceful players and a good location.

Kevin Watson (Dark Naga Adventures): Dice (if the system uses dice), the framework or material the GM will run, paper, pen or pencil, a rule reference in case of confusion and half a dozen people who are engaged in the game. Everything else is a cool addon, but not essential

Martin Greening (Azure Keep, Ruma: Dawn of Empire): It used to be an erasable grid mat and small whiteboard (for initiative), but for the past few years I’ve found myself playing without them. Now, my essential tools are simply dice, pencils, and paper/index cards.

Federico Sohns (Nibiru RPG): Aside from the obvious essentials, a small whiteboard and marker are just great tools to have at hand! Being a narrator you will always find yourself in situations in which a simple sketchup is much easier to understand, no matter how thoughout out your voice description is. It really helps, very often, to keep things in perspective, so make use of it!

Stephanie McAlea (Stygian Fox Publishing, The Things We Leave Behind): dice. map. less books. No interruptions.

Ken Spencer (Rocket Age; Why Not Games): Open minded and creative friends. Sure, maps, minis, dice, apps, books, and such are great, but you don't need them. In fact, without open minded and creative friends, none of the rest matter, nor will they make a bad game good.

Richard August (Conan, Codex Infernus): All Rolled Up manufacture the best dice bags and dice trays in gaming. Full disclosure: they are my friends and I love them deeply, so I am biased. But they did win a Gold Ennie award so all the praise is objectively verified!

Simon Brake (Stygian Fox): Dice for each player, so you don’t have to keep reaching across the table. Pencil and paper (although I’m terrible at taking notes).

David Donachie (Solipsist, Starblazer Adventures): Notebooks, lots of sketch maps, lists and lists of names (of NPCs met, or potential). For some games I'll use an iPad at the table for music, or for checking PDFs, but I prefer to run games without a screen in the way. I've used miniatures in a few games, generally Playmobil, which can be positioned, and customised in terms of weapons and equipment. (Less good for pure fantasy than semi-historical).

Marc Langworthy (Modiphius; Red Scar): Pen, paper, and eraser. What else do you need?

Ed Jowett (Shades of Vengeance; Era: The Consortium): I usually travel pretty light when gaming - a pile of D10s and character sheets. However, I do have one further thought...
I think there's only one thing you always need: a character concept which is thought-out and understood in your own mind. Dice are replaceable with software now, character sheets can be roughed out on blank paper if need be (I've done that a lot with Era: Lyres!).
If you have a character idea, you know how this individual would act in a situation, and where they would and would not be willing to push their boundaries, what their hopes and dreams are... you're well-equipped for any roleplaying experience, in my opinion!
And, even if that character is an unpleasant individual (which I've never played, but I know people who have), other players will respect that you're acting in character and are probably not that much of a git in real life!
In short, I think planning is important, whichever side of the table you're on, and I think that sometimes people forget that and turn up unprepared to sessions as players...

Mike Lafferty (BAMF Podcast; Fainting Goat Games): The last few years – Roll20 has been indispensable.

Originally created by Dave Chapman (Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space; Conspiracy X) #RPGaDAY os now being caretakered by the crew over at RPGBrigade. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us to

Madmaxneo

Explorer
Dice, paper, maps, minis of all sorts are the common place items that have a spot on just about every table so I need not mention them for this.

One tool I consider essential is magnetic dry/wet erase whiteboards. I have several for various tasks from a huge one for quick maps to a few for keeping track of various things during the game like init and combat stuff. I have also added a magnetic base to a lot of my minis so they will stay in place on the whiteboard. I also have several other map tile stuff, like the dry erase ones that snap together like puzzle pieces. Some of the actual printed map stuff I have is also dry/wet erase which makes them even more useful. Of course whenever I get the chance to set up a map set with minis on my TV then these may become obsolete.

Software has become a much bigger tool that I would have imagined years ago. At first it was just mapping software like CC3, Dundjinni, Hexographer (and worldographer) and art programs like Adobe or Xara photo and graphic designer (which is my most used for map making). Then there are the character generators like Hero Lab that make things a lot easier for character gen. Now they have things like Inspiration Pad pro which is used for making random generator lists amongst other really cool things and campaign management software. The campaign management software has come to be essential to me for keeping track of things that happen in the world and in the campaign. The ones I know about are Campaign Logger, The Keep, and Realm Works.
I personally use Realm Works and highly recommend it above the rest. There is a lot one can do with Realm Works beyond just for world info. I've had mine for about 3 years now and am barely scratching the surface. It has support for Inspiration Pad Pro and Syrinscape integration along with the soon to be released content market. I have approx 80% of the system mechanics of my primary game system (HARP) input into Realm Works along with the loads and loads of character options. This is so the players (if they have the low cost player version) can look up stuff whenever they want. Then there is the maps and npc info that I can change on if the players see that or not. Realm Works is an amazing tool that is also very essential for the modern online table top role player along with VTT mapping programs like Roll20, Mote, Maptools, or Fantasy Grounds. Of which I have used Maptools in the past.

I almost forgot the one tool that is needed for all this software, a laptop. I do a lot of my work on my PC but everything syncs with my laptop so everything is easily transported to anywhere I need to game. The laptop not only has Realm Works on it but my massive soundtrack library for background music amongst other digital items like images that can be used as digital handouts during the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
About two hours the evening before, to review that I have everything prepared and put together. Place it in a backpack or something so I can pick it all up and take it with me.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I have run a few sessions at various times with nothing more than a few sheets of paper, pencils and a few dice of some sort. I prefer to add graph paper, a rules system pdf or booklet of some sort, and enough dice that nobody HAS to share. That's my minimum. Add a laptop or pad to access the web, and not much else is needed. An hour of prep time, and i can run any fairly rules-lite system this way.

Truly, though, I prefer to have a printed module or my game notes on paper, a battle-matt and some wet-erase markers, a few tokens/minis for the characters, and monster tokens. And about 4 hours of prep time.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I wouldn't call them essentials, but I use Maptools along with a projector so I can use digital battle maps on our table top. That combined with Microsoft OneNote just makes gaming easier (and more artistic) than ever. Saves a ton on printer ink, too :p

Brodie

Explorer
My essential tools for good gaming include dice (I’ve gotten to gaming a once or twice without my dice), pencils, scrap paper, books, character sheets (also forgotten those once or twice), and friends. Because friends can be tools sometimes, but they can still be fun to play with.

Jhaelen

First Post
The first thing that came to my mind: Excel.
I use it for just about everything from analyzing RPG mechanics, creating lists, making notes, and preparing for a session.

The second thing: Dropbox.
Our group typically meets at most once a month, these days. So, it's absolutely essential for us to have a way to easily share everything important about the game, especially the session reports, notes, and current character sheets.

At the table, there isn't a lot of essential tools. Obviously, we need some dice - but it's fine if someone forgets them. We also prefer using minis, but I'd consider them optional, really. We could also work with just graph paper and pens.

collin

Explorer
Basic snack foods like chips, and byob. Also, our GM insists on bringing Chips-A-Hoy cookies to each session, so we humor him by indulging in consuming the cookies during the later half our gaming sessions.:D

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads