Can the Geek Crate Model Survive?

The crate model -- in which subscribers pay for a blind-box monthly delivery service of theme-related items -- has undergone some growing pains recently. Two data points indicate that the industry is maturing, but not without some rough patches.

[h=3]Geek Crate Struggles[/h]I've extensively covered Mythoard, which nearly went extinct before it was resurrected by an investor group. By all accounts Mythoard, and other tabletop-friendly services like Dungeon Crate and RPG Crate are going strong. Private Press just launched a mini-themed crate called, fittingly enough, MiniCrate. But that can't be said of the crate service that started it all, Loot Crate.
[h=3]Too Much Loot, Too Fast[/h]Loot Crate's rise and stumble are documented by Paresh Dave at the LATimes:

Between 2012 and 2014, Loot Crate amassed 200,000 subscribers to its $20 monthly shipments of apparel and collectibles related to video games, comics and pop culture (think Birchbox for the Comic-Con set). It then launched packages aimed at pet owners, Harry Potter readers, wrestling fans and more. Subscriptions increased to 650,000, pushing sales to $165 million in 2016, up almost 40% compared with the previous year. Over 18 months, the staff nearly doubled to 280.

For a while, things were great. Loot Crate expanded to anime, and gaming, and pets. But then reality set in:

Employees went home earlier and casual conversation on the company’s internal chat app Slack declined. Snack shelves weren’t stocked as often, or perhaps with all the new hires the food just ran out sooner. Bathrooms grew dirty. Bonuses arrived as stock, not cash. Negative reviews on jobs site Glassdoor piled up. A promised new office to replace the company’s Lincoln Heights space remains indefinitely delayed. Adding bodies was treated as a solution to deep problems, current and former employees say.

Then layoffs happened, near-fisticuffs between senior leaders, and lawsuits. Rob Salkowitz explained Loot Crate's challenges on ICv2:

Loot Crate is in a tricky position. It, or any company that takes over as a leader in the space, will always have a precarious market position because the gift box business seems difficult to protect from competition, particularly when serving a market of fickle, discriminating fans and collectors rather than ordinary consumers. Loot Crate moved first and fast in the geek culture space, signing up a bunch of exclusives with top brands and building out its subscription list, but it wasn’t long before others started moving in with more specialized offerings and strong brands of their own.

Loot Crate seems to be moving to a new phase of growth:

Loot Crate’s last quarter was profitable. And recently, the start-up named veteran media executive Ynon Kreiz chairman of its board of directors...Mark Suster, managing partner of Upfront Ventures, said Loot Crate suffered “self-inflicted bumps in the road,” but that “the wheels weren’t falling off” because Davis has begun making more responsible decisions.

Although one of the biggest geek-interest crates has stumbled, it wasn't enough to put off another gaming behemoth that just happens to own the rights to Dungeons & Dragons.
[h=3]Hasbro Weighs In[/h]Hasbro launched its own gaming subscription service in June 2017:

Hasbro Gaming Crate caters to multiple types of gamers with two themed crates, each with three games, priced at $49.99 plus shipping per crate, charged automatically when the crate ships. The Party Crate contains games with content geared toward college students, young adults, and parents who are looking to enjoy "adults-only" game nights. The Family Crate offers games designed to be played together and enjoyed equally by kids and adults.

The crates are shipped quarterly. Hasbro created a team dedicated to managing this new service:

Hasbro built a new separate team within the broader Hasbro Gaming segment that will focus exclusively on the Hasbro Gaming Crate service. The idea is that all the games that will be shipped will be new—so consumers that order the crate won't be getting boxes of Candy Land and Jenga shipped to their homes.

Jonathan Berkowitz, senior vice president of marketing for Hasbro Gaming, told Fortune:

"Social gaming is exciting. It is fun to play and fun to watch," Berkowitz said. But he added that while Hasbro is finding inspiration online, it doesn't mean the company must add digital functionality to make their games a hit. In fact, the new social games feature no digital bells and whistles—they are more classic forms of play. "People play face-to-face games to connect [with each other]," Berkowitz added. "If you focus on making a great game that connects people, you will win."

With his reference to "social gaming," Berkowitz could just as easily be talking about one of Hasbro's other classic forms of play -- Dungeons & Dragons. With D&D's recent surge in popularity, the success of other tabletop role-playing game crates, and Hasbro's willingness to invest in "social games" -- of which D&D is certainly a part -- an official D&D-branded crate may yet be a possibility.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

CarlZog

Explorer
It seems to me that if you're interested enough in games to buy at least four of them in a year for $200, you've become interested enough to want to select what you're getting. A more casual interest isn't going to pay that up front, and a more dedicated interest isn't going to want a blind buy. Maybe there's a small market among the hard core for whom an extra $50 blind game is nothing on the pile of monthly gaming buys, but that doesn't seem sustainable either -- nor does it seem like the market they're shooting for here.

I'm probably wrong though. The whole gift crate phenomenon eludes me (How much miscellaneous crap piles up every month before you're done with it?) Then again, I never saw much ongoing appeal in the old book-of-the-month clubs either. I'd rather decide for myself what to get and when to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhineglade

Adventurer
Personally I have always thought these to be a complete waste of time. Much of the "loot" if not all of it was complete crap to me. If I'd wanted bits of pop culture nostalgia, I'll buy it on it's own

They're fun, but you don't need many. Half the items end up crap, and half the themes are unineresting, so it's always between to wait between months.
After a few boxes, you end up with some stuff you like and a bunch of dollar store knicknacks that hold no interest.

They're a fun novelty, but I don't see them growing much.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
That is what turned me off to them...there would be one or two good things, and a bunch of stuff I would just throw away. Plus, I am an old school, want it in print kind of gamer, so the PDF offerings were a waste.
The other thing, and I understand it is marketing, but you might get one fantasy coin.....ok, what am I going to do with this one coin?

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Well I'm glad I am not the only one who sees these things largely as clutter-creators. It's a box of stuff that's going to vary wildly month to month as to how much you're interested in it - why let someone else control what you get? I'm more of an "Amazon Crate" or "eBay Crate" fan - you spend money on things you are actually interested in and then in a day or a week or a month they arrive at your door! It's like magic!

S

Sunseeker

Never really saw the point in these things. They're pretty much those money-grabbing loot crates from freemium games brought into real life. Who wants to pay for loot crates IRL?

darjr

I crit!
Most of em I don't like. Goodman games one looks good. Probably the only one I'm interested in.

Though a crate the focused exclusivly on 3d stuff, like say dwarven forge, or hero forge, I'd have to consider it. Even if it consisted of random 'seconds'

Li Shenron

Legend
Honestly I don't understand it at all. Spending money (whatever small) to get totally random and useless stuff IMHO is the abyssal peak of consumerism. At least I hope it funded someone's research in psychology/sociology.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases