Lions & Tigers & Owlbears... Oh, my! Here's a Preview of 13th Age's Bestiary 2!

The kind folks over at Pelgrane Press have sent along a massive preview of their 300-page second official Bestiary for 13th Age (which you can buy from their website), which debuted at Gen Con as one of their best sellers. This enormous preview includes the table of contents, the introduction, and the Great Ghoul and its minions which were designed by Cthulhu Confidential's Ruth Tillman and developed by Rob Heinsoo. "More than 250 individual stat blocks appear in 51 entries, along with with story hooks, icon relationships, customizable campaign variants, and advice on creating exciting battles."

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The first 13th Age Bestiary was one of the best RPG books I've read in a long time. The entries fairly drip with plot hooks and connections to the world. I read it cover to cover with a notebook on hand to jot down all of the ideas.

I preordered Bestiary 2 inhHardback (and PDF comes for free if you buy it from them) and have it sitting next to me as I type. I've been going through it and it does not disappoint.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I loved the first book so much. I skimmed the PDF tonight. It seems to have a bit different approach, but maybe I am remembering the first wrong. Still a strong product, but this is more mild love so far than mad love.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It's arguably better than the first Bestiary and that was one of my favourite monster books of all time.

When I read the rakshasa entry I cannot help but think, "I really must run Eberron in 13th Age."

Jhaelen

First Post
Very nice! 13th Age certainly doesn't get enough attention.
+1 - great to see a preview!
I just finished reading the first 13th Age Bestiary, which was nothing short of awesome because it's so much more than a mere collection of monsters.
I can't wait to get my greedy fingers on the follow-up :)

Matchstick

Adventurer
Totally agree, these two Bestiaries are the best monster manuals I've read in a very long time. They're so evocative, they really inspire you to play. I loved the first one, and I think the second one might even be a little bit better.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It's arguably better than the first Bestiary and that was one of my favourite monster books of all time.

I agree - it's a toss-up as to which I think is actually better. Both of them are really good.

When I read the rakshasa entry I cannot help but think, "I really must run Eberron in 13th Age."

I've been thinking that since about the fifth session of 13A I ran. Unfortunately my players are insistent that THIS TIME we stick with the campaign until either a TPK or they hit the max level for the game, and so our next campaign won't start until I can get them up to level 10 (which, given that group can only play at most once a month, may not be for another 3 years...)

Philip Francis

First Post
Unfortunately my players are insistent that THIS TIME we stick with the campaign until either a TPK or they hit the max level for the game, and so our next campaign won't start until I can get them up to level 10 (which, given that group can only play at most once a month, may not be for another 3 years...)

Just swap over to the 10 session variant and level them each session ;-) you'll be done in a few months time and onto Eberron!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases