Numenera 2: The Kickstarter Is Live!

It's always an event when Monte Cook Games launches a Kickstarter. As a company, they have mastered the art of crowdfunding, with several well-executed, extremely successful Kickstarters under their belt - the original Numenera in 2012 raised over half a million dollars, and in total the company has run 11 high-profile, slick campaigns. The latest promises to be more of the same - Numenera 2: Discovery & Destiny has launched!

dad.jpg

This Kickstarter, five years after the original Numenera, is for two books entitled Discovery and Destiny. The first, Numenera Discovery, is, in their own words "a revision of the original Numenera corebook. Next summer, we will allow the original corebook to go out of print, and Numenera Discovery will take its place." However, MCG does go out of its way to point out that "Numenera Discovery is not a new edition".

The second book, Numenera Destiny, encompasses empire and community building. "You can make the world a better place. Help a community defend itself from abhumans or the iron wind. Create centers of learning or trade. Innovate, build, and protect. Manage an entire community and help it prosper and grow—or simply create a cool base or vehicle for your adventuring group."

The Kickstarter is certain to do well. I predict it funds in under an hour, and breaks the half-million barrier again. It's not a cheap one, though - it's for two books, and they cost $60 each in print; and if you want the full PDF set plus all the PDF stretch goals, it'll set you back a cool $100. MCG experimented - successfully! with it's Invisible Sun Kickstarter last year ($197 was the lowest pledge) and showed that expensive Kickstarters can work perfectly well.

As I said above, MCG Kickstarters are always an event. They're one of the companies to watch when they run a Kickstarter, because they invariably do it spectacularly. I think it's fair to say that these guys are experts at this!

Find the Kickstarter right here!

MCG's previous Kickstarters, which started annually and then become twice/year in 2015, include:

That's a total of $2,943,243. Not counting the current one, of course!
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

TrickyUK

Explorer
There's no option for Core Books in print plus everything else (including stretch goals) in PDF. Not sold on a 32 page softback as must have exclusive. For that reason, I'm out (at the moment, but monitoring stretch goals).

Tried to do some quick maths:

Numenera corebook $60 (plus shipping from US to UK)+ $20 for PDF (on MCG web store). Can be bought in UK for less than £40 (online with free shipping) in UK + £15 for PDF (DriveThru RPG).

Supplement (Into the Outside; 160 pages) $40 (plus shipping) + $15 for PDF (MCG web store). Can be bought in UK for less than £30 (online with free shipping) + £11 for PDF (DriveThru RPG).

So for 2 core books and 1 supplement, I would expect to spend £150 (approx.) for print and PDF, including shipping, in UK if I wait for retail release. To get the same from the Kickstarter at the moment I would have to spend $280 (All the Books in Print Pledge) + shipping to UK. Admittedly, I also get a '32-page exclusive glimmer' in print and PDF (worth $20?). $280 equates to £207 according to xe.com today (19 Sep 17).

I reckon 1 more 160-page supplement (from stretch goals) will make the All the Book in Print pledge value for money in the UK, give or take a few £s, and depending on shipping costs.

This is frustrating for me as I was so looking forward to this Kickstarter - have all existing Numenera products. If their track record is anything to go by, we will see more stretch goals, so this may still become something I back.

**EDIT/UPDATE (after hitting 2nd stretch goal)**
Misread the pledge level cost. With the Player's Guide now added I would think that the cost to buy at online retail in UK would be around £165; still not enough justify $280 + shipping just yet.

Also, to be fair, I should add that buying in the UK may not provide the core rulebooks slip case (which looks nice) and the preview PDF, which is probably similar to existing glimmers ($5).

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If it keeps up at this rate ($140K+ already), it might beat 7th Sea's record. The second RPG Kickstarter to hit a million dollars?

doctheweasel

Explorer
If it keeps up at this rate ($140K+ already), it might beat 7th Sea's record. The second RPG Kickstarter to hit a million dollars?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out from a "what makes a Kickstarter successful" perspective.

I'm curious how much of 7th Sea's success was excitement and how much was the great deal it was (Print Core Book + ALL the pdfs for $60). Discovery/Destiny definitely has the excitement, but the pdf only option is $100 and getting that and both books in print is more than $200. The KS's comment section already has people asking for an "all pdfs and both print books" option.

I certainly have been considering how far in I want to go on this one, whereas with 7th Sea it was an easy choice. It will be worth monitoring this KS to see if something like that will even makes a difference in the long term.

That said, I'm hoping it is very successful.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The 7th seas kick starter value has been amazing and went so smooth..Ashly the gold bar standard for a large Kickstarter.

ill keep an eye on this one even if I haven't played the system before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Quarter of a million in under 24 hours.

Kicktraq is currently projecting $4M, but that estimate will go down after the first few days (Kickstarters typically make most of their funds in the first few days and the last few days, with the long middle period being much lower).

Wystan

Explorer
They also set this as a VERY long campaign - as a backer of almost all of their prior Kickstarter campaigns I was at the start one of the vocal commentators asking for a "Core in Print + all the PDFs" for $160-$180. The answer seems to be that they feel we should pay the equivalent of 2 pledge levels (basically double paying for all of the PDFs of the core books in KS vernacular) and go for $220 (Note that the Core Books add-on (same price as the pledge level - also known as FULL RETAIL) does not include the PDFs or the KS exclusive book... so there's that)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases